Card design contest

By Guest, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

I had an nice idea today about a nedly card:

Innocent spy

event, House Stark only

Any Phase: Look at any players hand and discard a cards from that hand. Then choose and kill a character you control. If you control Bran Stark you have to choose him.

That led to an other idea of a good, game changing card, but not broken with some choice.

Open battlefield

location, 2 cost, neutral

Limit one per deck, No Attachemets

Challanges: Kneel Open battlefield to look at any players hand and discard a card from that hand, then discard a card from your hand.

Any Phase: Kneel 6 influance to shuffle Open battlefield to its owner deck. Any player may trigger this.

and finally I had an idea about a plot for Greyjoys

Help from the Drowned God

3/0/1 - House Greyjoy only

During marshaling phase this round you may pay X gold to discards from play up to 3 non-limited locations with combinated printed cost X.

Rozy said:

Open battlefield

location, 2 cost, neutral

Limit one per deck, No Attachemets

Challanges: Kneel Open battlefield to look at any players hand and discard a card from that hand, then discard a card from your hand.

Any Phase: Kneel 6 influance to shuffle Open battlefield to its owner deck. Any player may trigger this.

quick question. Why would another player want to trigger this Any Phase effect?

so he would lose any more cards from his hand...maybe? it is not form discard pile it is right from game

I could use the location with martell (easy draw) eg. get rid of some less usefull event and discard some powerful card from the other play

Oh now I see I forget the main part of the location when I post it, it should be, players play with theirs hand revealed :) I will fix it...or maybe not, seems I cant edit it anymore

Rozy said:

Oh now I see I forget the main part of the location when I post it, it should be, players play with theirs hand revealed :) I will fix it...or maybe not, seems I cant edit it anymore

I tend to agree with Lars. I'm not going to routinely spend 6 influence to shuffle this thing back into your deck, even if we are all playing with our hands revealed. Even if it is a "my best for your worst" type deal, you're still losing a card, too. I'm not convinced that you've got such an advantage over me that 6-influence is a good investment.

A card fitting thematically into the "Time for Ravens" cycle:

Silent Sisters (neutral)

Cost 2, Strength 1, Power Icon, Holy Crest

Silent Sisters cannot be killed.

Limited Response: After one of your characters is killed, kneel Silent Sisters to have it claim one power. Silent Sisters does not stand during the next standing phase.

I admit I thought more about nedliness than gameplay. What do you think?

Rubinon said:

Silent Sisters (neutral)

Limited Response: After one of your characters is killed, kneel Silent Sisters to have it claim one power. Silent Sisters does not stand during the next standing phase.

Interesting idea and rather thematic, but as you say, very limited gameplay applications. The ability only matters if you're already at 14 power since that 1 gained power goes away almost immediately (it's on a character that's already dead). Limited Responses are supposed to be pretty significant effects, too. I'd suggest that instead of claiming one power, you move one power from each opponent's House card to the character just killed. Kind of a "paying last respects" sort of thing? That way, that ability serves the dual purpose of a) winning the game immediately when the character dies at a time you have 15 - X power (where X is the number of opponents) and b) lowering the amount of power your opponents have if the character dies when you have less than 15 - X.

Sorry, I meant the Silent Sisters to claim the power (less interesting, but more playable). How can I make that clear in the card text?

They do, what they do best, and that earns them respect (= power). But since they have to take care of the deceased, they can't do anything in the next round, that was the idea. And it's a limited response since there's only one deceased to take care of.

But thanks for your thoughts ktom.

Rubinon said:

Sorry, I meant the Silent Sisters to claim the power (less interesting, but more playable). How can I make that clear in the card text?

Ah, I see. The Response to a character being killed creates two possible antecedents for "it." To eliminate confusion, I'd suggest wording it more like "Response: after a character is killed, kneel Silent Sisters. Then, Silent Sisters claims 1 power and cannot stand during the Standing phase this round." You achieve the same result without the possible confusion.

I don't think it particularly needs to be a Limited Response. If you want to use the ability twice in the same round (or even in successive rounds), you're going to have to put some resources into standing her outside of the Standing phase. That's probably limiting enough. ~ But questions like that are probably why there's playtesting, right?

Would it be more Nedly if it were "after a unique character is killed..."?

Thanks, ktom.

I like the idea that it has to be a unique character, and I like the idea that it doesn't have to be one of my characters. The finished card would look something like this:

Silent Sisters (neutral)

Response: After a unique character is killed, kneel Silent Sisters. Then, Silent Sisters claims one power and does not stand during the standing phase this round.

Now, if there only still was a place to submit card ideas...