Campaign Mode

By Otakuon, in General Discussion

Anyone else curious about the campaign mode that the Masks of Nyarlathotep expansion adds?

The team will also need to be especially well-equipped when taking on the new Campaign mode of play introduced in the Masks of Nyarlathotep expansion. When taking on a Campaign, players will need to win multiple games, with consequences and benefits carrying over to the next game after each threat is sealed away from the world. If stopping any single Ancient One seems an impossible task, can the investigators possibly hope to succeed as these otherworldly beings attack one after another?

Many of us came up with home-brew campaign rules for Arkham Horror, so it will be interesting to see how the "official" implementation works. the personal story mechanic that was introduced in AH also helped to facilitate better campaign play as well, so I am glad to see it being re-introduced in EH.

First thought: ooh that sounds super for solo (hard to pull off if you don't have a reg group)

Second thought: dang, EH is a tough game - I hope there's a good ability to crawl back into the campaign and still win if you lose a couple early games in a row... ;)

Hope it will be somewhat like Arkham Horror: The Card Game in that the campaign continues even if you "lose".

Im wondering if the 'Campaign' is all within this box or lets you play against other Gods (random setups) as well.

Wakrob

Like the sideboards which you can use with a specific Ancient One or a specific Prelude.

Pumped for campaign play! Expect they will need to increase difficulty somehow to compensate for the carry over items. Otherwise this may be too easy.

It seems more like "Legacy" mode for games like Pandemic or Risk.

I'm okay with it, honestly. I'll probably mix all the expansions (and that's probably the point)

I find it very, very likely that you won't get to keep your items between games. I've played a few games like that (two or three great old ones back to back) and even with increased mythos deck difficulty, once you start a game with a few good spells and an artefact or two, the challenge goes right down the drain.

It could factor into the resources. They could function as a kind of experience mechanic, where you start subsequent games with resources.

Edited by Eldan985

My concern is, with my 2-investigator team solo setup, I repeatedly lose. Is it still possible to enjoy the campaign mode, if you lose and again and again against the first AO?

On 11/6/2017 at 0:34 PM, ppsantos said:

My concern is, with my 2-investigator team solo setup, I repeatedly lose. Is it still possible to enjoy the campaign mode, if you lose and again and again against the first AO?

I too didn't win much with 2 investigators (my record was only about 55% win rate), which i realize the problem was the movement part. Nasty rumors spawning too far away from my investigators and they are causing enough trouble for me to lose the game. Most of the time, its the lack of time to solve the current mystery

After that I plaed with 4 investigators and didn't look back. Not only they are able to cover more parts of the world map to address rumors and solve mysteries faster, your investigators can diversify and be specialized in what they do too (e.g : 1 fighter, 1 spellcaster, 1 clue gatherer, 1 support). This is specially important since there are different mysteries that requires you to kill an Epic Monster, gather clues, spend clues at a specific area, gain an artifact, spend spells, etc.

Its tough to spend 3-4 rounds doing nothing (and getting punished by Mythos cards) so it is really important to diversify your investigators to solve the mysteries a.s.a.p to have a chance to win the game. :)

Our Campaign mode, just means if an investigator defeated you cant pull him again for rest of campaign even if it was caused by a prelude. We do not use same prelude and we go through each mythos card and condition card before reshuffling back into the game. It was a lot harder when there was fewer investigators, cause losing all investigators was a campaign game over. There was no carry over, though sometimes we keep a rumour in play from last game if not solved to ramp difficulty. We play with random six investigators.

I look forward to the new campaign mode, perhaps consequences cards carry over

Edited by Daisu
additonal