Board but with symbols

By Bludgeon, in Talisman Home Brews

Since I will be printing my own board some time soon, I thought why not tinker with it ;)

The idea is to replace the text of all "draw card" spaces with symbols to make them easier to use (mostly for less experienced players, but even I will have easier time reading the board).

dd9c6374fad062ce.png

I really like this idea. A while back, I was tinkering with an idea on how to remove / reduce the repetitive draw card text myself, but I never took the time to really research or implement it the way that you have. I'm impressed! Looks great!

I have spoken multiple times, requesting for a Deluxe Edition Talisman, now not probable since FFG is now not making the game, using a smaller board similar in size to 2nd edition. The idea was to make the common size of the spaces the size of a card. The problem was text would be very small. The idea of using iconography is a great idea.

But using smart icons is usually missed. Since it is for yourself, which icons means what won't be an issue.

Edited by DomaGB

Finished! :)

Very nice. I'm not sure about the uber-abbreviation, but it's certainly an interesting way to do it (a la Relic).

None of the people I play with are hardcore talismaniacs, so I know at least they will greatly benefit from this :)

Hi.

First of all, this is a brilliant idea, very well done.

But i’m afraid this method can’t work on the some of the expansions spaces.

I remember that in the Highlands, for example, some spaces guide you to draw a card even if there is already a card in that space.

In the city expansion as i recall, most street spaces guide you to draw one card, with a maximum of 3 cards which can be on the same space.

i’m aftaid you will need text for that kind of spaces? Or maybe another smart symbol?

The text is still on those spaces (except for the city, which I changed to normal draw because there isnt' space for more cards anyway)

Gaze upon this beauty :)

398c2748dc9a80cc.jpg

2b34a5276035c9a4.jpg

32e6ab84ab69553d.jpg

00566db27e2d3e72.jpg

b450557e98ddba84.jpg

85ed50d4ff81dfe8.jpg

b553f1cacb94b4ad.jpg

Edited by Bludgeon

That is amazing. I must know what you printed that on and how I can get one. It appears to be tougher than simple paper?

Edited by Malhedra

Awesomesauce, i had to do this with mine due to the fact that i was playing with my four year old. The boards weren't meant for that kinda strain and i want to give it to her kids. It was not easy to get it all lined and scaned up properly.

Can i print that off the image you posted or would it look like garbage? Can you alter dimensions easily? I built a 6×4 gaming table so we can always have game set up. The one i did is about 33"x41". It fits nicely for a three man game but anymore really needs side tables.

On 3.11.2017 at 0:30 AM, Malhedra said:

That is amazing. I must know what you printed that on and how I can get one. It appears to be tougher than simple paper?

I wasn't the one printing it, sorry I have no idea what this material is (it's not paper, thicker and has "hairs" coming out on edges)

On 3.11.2017 at 5:00 AM, hanover fist said:

Can i print that off the image you posted or would it look like garbage? Can you alter dimensions easily? I built a 6×4 gaming table so we can always have game set up. The one i did is about 33"x41". It fits nicely for a three man game but anymore really needs side tables.

What I posted here isn't printable. The original is much much bigger.

Edited by Bludgeon

I've cut 6 spaces from the board to make it smaller on the longer side. My hope is to do this to all corner boards to have smaller overall board, because I can't fit that monster on any table!

Anyway:

9e2f3932d5b1065f.png

Cut versions of The Dungeon, Deep Realms, and the City combined

525e247c88fe4c91.png

I'm quite pleased with the end result

a88f895259c4088c.png

A sneak peak into my next project:

8a7a04462412f6a4.png

Happy to see that it looks like we'll be getting an English version of the board. Incorporating the Corner decks is a cool idea as well.

Losing two spaces from the short side of the board is freaking me out a little though.

2 hours ago, Reedstilt said:

Happy to see that it looks like we'll be getting an English version of the board. Incorporating the Corner decks is a cool idea as well.

Losing two spaces from the short side of the board is freaking me out a little though.

In total, 4 spaces will be removed from the outer region (2x fields, 2x plains), 2 spaces from the middle region (runes and chasm), and 2 spaces will be added to the inner region (frozen stairs and rock face).

What's replacing the runes and chasm in the Middle Region?

9 minutes ago, Reedstilt said:

What's replacing the runes and chasm in the Middle Region?

(one of the) runes are gone, as you can see in the picture above.

Chasm is still there, just not as a space anymore. A character moving between runes simply triggers the chasm.

Looks like I wasn't paying enough attention to the Middle Region in that image.

Are you going with the original Chasm, the Cataclysm Chasm, or some new variant? Will it always trigger when you pass through the area, like triggering the Sentinel while trying to cross between the Outer and Middle Region? Or only when you begin your movement on a Chasm-adjacent space and attempt to move across it?

9 hours ago, Reedstilt said:

Are you going with the original Chasm, the Cataclysm Chasm, or some new variant? Will it always trigger when you pass through the area, like triggering the Sentinel while trying to cross between the Outer and Middle Region? Or only when you begin your movement on a Chasm-adjacent space and attempt to move across it?

Right now my idea for Chasm is this:

When a character ends her movement, if she passed through the Chasm, she must roll 1 die. If the result is lower than the total number of spaces moved, that character must either lose 1 life or discard a Follower.

So if you move by a few spaces, which can be interpreted as moving slowly and catiously, you will be unlikely to fumble at the chasm. If you move fast, or better yet, by horse, you are much more likely to lose something there.

I think it is simple, thematic, and allows players to make a calculated risks.

On 9/27/2017 at 1:10 PM, Bludgeon said:

updated version, with quest symbol (instead of text) in warlock's cave, and directional arrows in the inner region

https://images83.fotosik.pl/825/34cf63821e1bacf8.png

Hi Bludgeon, this work in incredible and I was hoping to create a double-sided neoprene mat (via Deepcut Studios) by using the main board and Cataclysm boards for each side. Do you have the high-res artwork that you're willing to share/PM/point me in the right direction? Or could you let me know how you came about getting it? Corner boards and Dragon Inner Regions also welcome! 😊

If they are PSD files that's fine, as I have Photoshop and don't mind editing the Polish text to English (unless you've already done it?).

Either way, any help is very much appreciated.