This one or Arkham ?

By goncardoso, in General Discussion

Hello, so i was watching videos and stuff about this game and its like some people prefer this one , others prefer Arkham Horror. I know this one has rules more simplified and its around the world while the other is on arkham and has diffcult rules. Probably people here will Say eldrith is better but i would like to have an honest opinion : if i have to buy one ,should be this or arkham ?

There are good reasons to like both games, for me arkham and is the best game.

I can't comment really on Arkham Horror, as even though I own the game, I haven't yet played it.

However I will say, Eldritch Horror has become my favourite game ever. I find it a real challenge, and great fun solo as well. The expansions fit in really well (without making the game more complex) and help extend the variety in the game.

Having read the rules of Arkham, I'd recommend Eldritch first just from it's easier learning curve. It's still complex at times, but seems more refined and streamlined.

Actually, perhaps my recommendation is to not get Eldritch, as then you'll want to buy all the expansions! (like I did) Mind you, I probably would have done that with Arkham as well. :D

Eldritch Horror is newer and the rules are more of an evolution of the system than a simplification. Content for EH is still being released while AH is no longer supported.

2 hours ago, Meretrix said:

Eldritch Horror is newer and the rules are more of an evolution of the system than a simplification. Content for EH is still being released while AH is no longer supported.

True but there is an awful lot of AH content, with all the expansions the board is 6 foot long. Just because arkham is complete isn't a reason not to buy it.

For me the arkham vs. Eldritch debate is the same as the descent 1st vs. 2nd edition debate.

Descent 2nd edition is a fantastic game and mechanically superior in almost every way. But FFG also removed hero death from 2nd edition which resulted in it being a race game which felt very different, especially for the overlord, than 1st edition. It lost a bit of what made descent special and the missing features from 1st edition were added back into the next version of the descent system, imperial assault.

In the same way eldritch is mechanically superior in most ways but it lost a lot of the spirit of arkham along the way. There are not just improvements in eldritch there is also a lot of simplification. Eldritch will hit the table more often but games of arkham will be remembered for a long time afterwards.

If you play arkham and wish the game was simpler and quicker you switch to eldritch, if you play eldritch and wish the story was deeper, more personal and More thematic you switch to arkham.

the problem is i cant buy both atm , beside i 'm more into solo mode since its hard to find people who enjoy this, at least where i live.

6 hours ago, mulletcheese said:

True but there is an awful lot of AH content, with all the expansions the board is 6 foot long. Just because arkham is complete isn't a reason not to buy it..

This is not a good thing. EH was expanded without adding a notorious amount board and card bloat. EH is also a better solo experience and AH's graphic design is looking a bit outdated and amateur compared to EH.

Edited by Meretrix
3 hours ago, Meretrix said:

This is not a good thing. EH was expanded without adding a notorious amount board and card bloat. EH is also a better solo experience and AH's graphic design is looking a bit outdated and amateur compared to EH.

Card bloat yes but board bloat is optional, you don't have to use all the boards at the same time. As for the best solo experience and graphics that's just your preference, others will disagree.

They are both great games with very similar mechanics but different experiences. I'd start with whichever is cheapest.

Just my opinion but I happen to be correct. There is such a thing as poor graphic design. I could give you plenty of examples of wasted space, muddled colors and misaligned text throughout
AH products. They obviously learned a lot since then and have improved their craft in both graphics and game design.

Edited by Meretrix

Simplification is not a bad thing, not by itself. I found Arkham to be almost unmanageable. I was using Notepad to keep track of my health, sanity, and money since it was easier than digging for what I needed.

I own both games and prefer Eldritch Horror over AH. EH is more enjoyable for me.

I enjoy both, but EH makes it to the table a lot more than AH for our group at least.

I really do like both and have all expansions (so thank god AH is over Save the fan expansions - and some of them are great).

But at the end of the day if I had to pick one it's Eldritch. It's faster, and despite what I'm reading here the story and theme is a lot stronger and consistent in Eldritch for me. Sure it's a bit Indiana Jonesy, but the more I get back to Arkham the more I remember some bad experiences of it.

Playing with veteran players of AH (in play by forum and IRL) usually sucks, at least in my experience. The first time I played with someone who had Monterey Jack as an investigator and he 1) traded all his equipment to other players for their money in the first few turns, then 2) spent most of the rest of the game at the Curiositie Shoppe "farming" for Elder Signs, it was kind of novel.

When it kept happening I saw that people weren't playing the game anymore, they were trying to break the system. There are strategies like that for every investigator on the AH boards, and the frequency of these kinds of moves were waaaaay more common than I ever would have expected.

Theme, which should be nice and present, was secondary to maximising the mechanics of each investigator VS. the mechanics of the game.

Every now and then I'll play AH solo and like it. But EH has become for me what a game like this should be : good story and immersion, interesting rules built for clarity and fast play, and a lot of fun with friends. It's also a lot of fun solo.

Edited by Krysmopompas

Never forget Arkham Horror.

Play Eldritch Horror.

i never played any .. maybe if someone stream the games someday i could take my notes.

3 hours ago, goncardoso said:

i never played any .. maybe if someone stream the games someday i could take my notes.

There are plenty of postings about these games on YouTube already that would help you in your evaluations.

Eldritch Horror Dice Tower

Arkham Horror - Off The Shelf

These videos should give you an idea of gameplay mechanics and help you get an idea of which direction you might want to lean.

From a money standpoint, Eldritch is probably the way to go. The base game will keep you happy for a few games and then there are a ton of expansions. I would recommend Forbidden Lore first and then go from there. I just purchased Arkham Horror last month and hope to play it soon, but it is more expensive, particularly when you factor in expansions. Everybody has different ways of playing these games, but our group only includes one expansion per game, so characters cycle in and out and strategies evolve. We also have not yet played enough AOs to have any of them "down". We also change AO every game to keep things moving. Oh and we don't research the game online or know any cards in advance unless we play them.

I own both games and mostly play EH because I find it much more refined, varied, and enjoyable. I really like how the win conditions change with each game (i.e. resolve three mysteries that are unique to each AO). I also like how the EH expansions are integrated into the game.

On 9/4/2017 at 7:23 AM, Runko said:

Never forget Arkham Horror.

Play Eldritch Horror.

Very much agreed.

My wife and I never knew of the mythos universe. One year in origins we decided to try Arkham Horror; It was a 6 hour slugfest with 8 players.

We loved it.

Since then we did research and the general consensus we found was that Eldritch Horror was more streamlined (IE it's less mechanically fiddly). We have since bought everything for Eldritch Horror and played it many many times with different groups of people.

We'll never forget Arkham Horror (board game) as it started everything but we've invested into Eldritch Horror.

PS: we now also play Mansions of Madness 2nd edition, Arkham Horror Card game, Call of Cthulhu LCG. Love the mythos universe.

Love Arkham Horror, but prefer Eldritch Horror in every way.

The rules are much more focused, easier to grasp and (very important) easier to teach to others.

EH also seems to give more purpose, more direction, with the mysteries and rumors giving you goals and targets. AH had the bad habit of turning into a "gather clues and close gates" and not much else.

Also fighting the different AOs is much more thematic with the mysteries and investigations in EH.

I have a strong preference for EH, but that being said, I don't think I ever turned a game of Arkham Horror down.

On 7-9-2017 at 10:24 PM, goncardoso said:

You should check out TragicTheBlathering on YouTube, he does multiple playthroughs of both Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror.

He really takes his time and you can tell he loves the games.

I also own everything for Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror (except unreleased products of course). Arkham Horror was my favorite board game of all time... until Eldritch Horror came along. Since then, Arkham Horror has never hit the gaming table again. Arkham Horror is a great game with fun theme and mechanics, but Eldritch Horror turned out to be even more enjoyable. But really, you can't go wrong with either. As mentioned, you should probably watch a playthrough video of each game and decide for yourself which you'd enjoy more.

bump

Edited by gmcc