Arkham Nights 2017

By Steeljaw, in Arkham Nights

I assume they are still going to have Arkham Nights this year? Seems it is usually announced around this time.

I would think they will continue since the card game has exploded since last year. I was expecting it earlier this week to be in line with prior years, but don't have much hope for today as it's Force Friday.

List of past dates Arkham Nights was announced and when the event occurred:

Year - Announced - Event
2010 - June 30 - Oct 22-24 (Fri-Sun)
2011 - July 28 - Oct 14-16 (Fri-Sun)
2012 - Aug 9 - Oct 12-14 (Fri-Sun)
2013 - Sept 23 - Nov 16-17 (Sat/Sun)
2014 - Sept 18 - Oct 17-18 (Fri/Sat)
2015 - Sept 14 - Oct 9-10 (Fri/Sat)
2016 - Aug 30 - Oct 14-15 (Fri/Sat)

Mid-October is the average (save for 2013 when they were opening a new event center).

And for 2017, barring no other event conflicts, I would guess October 13-14 (Fri/Sat).

It seems the Oct 13-14 guess is pretty good since it has never gone so early as Oct 6-7 and has only gone as late as Oct 20-21 way back during the first Arkham Nights (*ignoring 2013).

As can be seen by the announcement dates, it likely won't be announced until next week if the event occurs. (Last year was likely announced earlier than normal as it was also advertising a new game - Arkham Horror Card Game.)

But, everything is just speculation so who knows. If the event occurs around the same time as usual, I expect to hear an announcement in the next couple of weeks.

Please please please be the 20th and 21st :)

I'm hoping we'll hear something soon. I'd be devastated if they didn't do it this year. We have some more boxes that could use designer autographs. I've gone the past two years and have been looking forward to this year's for months!

Oct 13 & 14 - article coming soon

31 minutes ago, unlimitedpower said:

Oct 13 & 14 - article coming soon

Guessing, or officially?

Event planning guy let us know the date yesterday in order to plan - they are working on the official announcement soon.

7 hours ago, unlimitedpower said:

Event planning guy let us know the date yesterday in order to plan - they are working on the official announcement soon.

Thanks! I was getting worried. I hadn't gotten any response on Twitter and the guys at the GC didn't know anything.

I'm surprised there still isn't an official announcement.

Two other Arkham Horror announcements rolled by got me excited, but then when it wasn't Arkham Nights the dread set back in. I hope this delay doesn't hurt the turn out too badly this year, it was nice seeing it sell out last year, despite it was driven by the pre-release.

The lack of any announcement this late has me disheartened. It is difficult for gamers to come from out-of-state with no advance notice. If Arkham Nights is October 13-14, it is less than a month away, making arrangements will be very difficult.

Heck, I can tell you the dates of GenCon 2020 (July 30-Aug 2) and Origins 2018 (June 13-17) even though those events might not have any content yet, I still know when they will be held, so I can put in leave requests, arrange transportation, and finding lodging (if not through con site).

:(

Edited by gothdreams
1 hour ago, gothdreams said:

The lack of any announcement this late has me disheartened. It is difficult for gamers to come from out-of-state with no advance notice. If Arkham Nights is October 13-14, it is less than a month away, making arrangements will be very difficult.

Heck, I can tell you the dates of GenCon 2020 (July 30-Aug 2) and Origins 2018 (June 13-17) even though those events might not have any content yet, I still know when they will be held, so I can put in leave requests, arrange transportation, and lodging (if not through con site).

:(

Agreed. My con companion for Arkham Nights will need to find someone to cover the weekend for him and I need to make travel plans, and if they keep pushing out the announcement we may not be able to. I mean, we could assume that it is Oct 13-14, but it's a pretty big risk to do that without official word first!

Edited by KBlumhardt
44 minutes ago, WaitingForRedPlanet said:

Ticket sales are live! Look forward to seeing you all there!

https://www.showclix.com/event/arkham-nights-2017

Awesome. Finally! Bought mine instantly. See you guys there!

Edited by KBlumhardt

Now the mad dash to secure time off and travel arrangements begins!

Just now, Sid Pikes said:

Now the mad dash to secure time off and travel arrangements begins!

Good luck!

How can Fantasy Flight think it is okay to make this announcement 22 days before the event? By the time they actually tell you what you get, or what the event is going to be based around, it will be two weeks before the event. And it's $10.00 more than last year!!! Which was $5.00 more than the year before!!! If all they were going to do is make a Facebook announcement with NO details, why not do that a month ago? Complete lack of respect for the people that are buying your games. Extremely disappointed with Fantasy Flight at the moment.

2 hours ago, MplsMicah said:

How can Fantasy Flight think it is okay to make this announcement 22 days before the event? By the time they actually tell you what you get, or what the event is going to be based around, it will be two weeks before the event. And it's $10.00 more than last year!!! Which was $5.00 more than the year before!!! If all they were going to do is make a Facebook announcement with NO details, why not do that a month ago? Complete lack of respect for the people that are buying your games. Extremely disappointed with Fantasy Flight at the moment.

While I'm not quite as riled up about it as you are, I do agree that this has been pretty badly mishandled. If something is holding things up from being ready, they should have pushed the event back to November. If not, they should have put the announcement up at least a couple of weeks ago. The price hike, while not a deal-breaker for me, doesn't help matters much.

It definitely is the shortest notice we have gotten. Luckily I am driving distance (Lol, was using google to get approximate hours, but did walking instead - 110 hours). Driving time is 4 hrs 50 minutes

I typically miss most of Friday as I don't take off of work, but often still have time to pick up my bag and look around.

5 minutes ago, KBlumhardt said:

While I'm not quite as riled up about it as you are, I do agree that this has been pretty badly mishandled. If something is holding things up from being ready, they should have pushed the event back to November. If not, they should have put the announcement up at least a couple of weeks ago. The price hike, while not a deal-breaker for me, doesn't help matters much.

The short notice is something I've wished we got away from, while this is not a massive event like Worlds it should still have a long enough notice for those who travel to have time to arrange matters.

I'm holding out judgement on the increase price until we see what is included into the swag bag. If it's a scenario again like last year it might help justify it. I would like more acrylics like the health and sanity from last year, maybe resources, doom tokens. Best I can wish for is an official acrylic chaos token set. Until I know what we are getting for attending I'm going to hope it's going to make sense in the end.

2 minutes ago, xuzuthor said:

It definitely is the shortest notice we have gotten. Luckily I am driving distance (Lol, was using google to get approximate hours, but did walking instead - 110 hours). Driving time is 4 hrs 50 minutes

I typically miss most of Friday as I don't take off of work, but often still have time to pick up my bag and look around.

I was looking at your dates from before, and it's clear this is the shortest. Last time it was the year they delayed the event until November to align with Eldritch Horror being released. My group is about 6 hours away so it's still a reasonable drive for us. I'd wish they would go back to the 3 day process again, normally we hang around on Sunday just to get a few more games in before heading back.

6 minutes ago, xuzuthor said:

Thankfully, I'm in Fargo, so it's only about a 3.5 hour drive. The short notice was actually potentially harder on my friend who I always go to AN with. He lives in the Twin Cities area, so there's effectively no travel for him, but he faced potential issues finding someone to work the weekend for him. Thankfully it worked out okay. :)

Yeah, I have a friend in California who would have came if the notice was different so he won't be coming.

I am also holding off on judgment about the price because I have never felt like I haven't gotten my money's worth out of going, and the price increase will likely not change that. Last year I was actually quite surprised that the price wasn't higher after I learned we got an expansion (and that ended up having an MSRP of $15 by itself).

The price change doesn't bug me. If we get the normal swag (hoping for more acrylic tokens and a nice monster bag), I'll definitely be okay with the stuff. I'm lucky enough to be in Roseville, so it's easy for me to get there. However, I'm worried about their late announcement because AN is definitely more fun with a full crowd. I'm also concerned they might not get the designers who are not FFG employees. I don't know how long they've been planning the date, but it feels slapped together. I'm just hoping I'll be proven wrong!