Ankaur Maro - Adding trays

By Uthoroc, in Runewars Rules Questions

3 hours ago, rowdyoctopus said:

Is the back rank of a single rank unit full?

Yes.

Is that a rule?

I wonder if alot of this issue comes down to the definition of a Full Rank. RR 66.2 gives us a clear definition of a full rank as a game term. However, in the American English language, the term full rank implies a rank that is complete, containing as many trays as possible, and has no empty space for more: it cannot be added to.

Can I add trays to the back rank of a 2x2 unit, making the front rank 2 trays wide, and the back rank 3 or 4 trays wide?

Using only the game term full rank, since the back rank is already full, I have the option of creating a 3rd rank, but it seems to be exactly that, an option, not a requirement. This would make the back rank neither full (it does not have as many trays as the front) nor partial (it does not have fewer), so I get no re-rolls from it. If a non-front rank can have more trays than the front rank, then looking at only the Backness of a single rank unit, as @rowdyoctopus indicates(and I agree is the correct way of looking at the situation), we have the same option to either add trays to it or create a 2nd rank as we did with the back rank of the 2x2 unit.

Looking at the same question of adding to the back rank of a 2x2, but using the implication of the English language that a full rank cannot be added to, as well as Full Rank as a game term, we do not have an option. Since the back rank is full, and by implication cannot be added to, we can only create a new rank. The same answer would apply to a single rank unit: It's back rank is full, so since we cannot add to it, we can create a new rank.

I see both ways as valid interpretations, and would not fault a TO for selecting either. The rules lawyer in me says you can widen a single rank unit, while the grownup who is pushing army guys around a table in me wants to add the implication of not being able to have more added to it that full Rank implies. I've tried to find anything in the L2P, RR, FAQ or Tourney Regs stating that a non-front rank can or cannot have more trays than the front rank, but have been unable to find such a thing. Have I missed it somewhere?

9 hours ago, DekoPuma said:

Is that a rule?

66.2 A full rank is any rank that contains as many trays as the front rank for the unit.
66.3 A rank is partial if it contains at least one tray, but fewer trays than the front rank of the unit

The debate hinges on the interpretation of the following rule, which seems to heavily imply "do not add trays to a full rank,"

• If the back rank of the unit is a full rank, and if the unit has fewer than four ranks, the added tray can be connected to the unit’s back edge, creating a new back rank for that unit.

If that rule prohibits adding trays to a full rank, and rule 66.2 means that a single rank unit is always full, then it's impossible to add trays horizontally to a single rank unit. If you add trays to a single rank unit, you have to create a new rank.

Edited by Contrapulator

And for programmers

Rank = full if back rank =front rank width

Front rank = back rank when it is the only rank

Therefore single ranks are always full, so you can only add new, additional back ranks behind the full, future front rank.

On 9/7/2017 at 8:49 PM, Darthain said:

And for programmers

Therefore single ranks are always full, so you can only add new, additional back ranks behind the full, future front rank.

On 9/24/2017 at 3:56 PM, Curlycross said:

Agreed

The way I'm reading it is the fact 1 rank is both back and front.

So before it's back you can add it to side. But at the same time it counts as front meaning you can't add the tray to it. So being dual means both states have to be taken into account when adding a tray.

It's not just a case if add I g to the back it's adding to a non front tray.

On 08/09/2017 at 2:49 AM, Darthain said:

And for programmers

I don't think single ranks are always full, due to:

66.4 A unit’s front rank is not full or partial.

8 minutes ago, KrisPWales said:

A single rank is the back rank as well though, so because the back rank has the same amount of trays as the front rank, it must be full. (66.2). It also isn't partial under 66.3.

Front rank is irrelevant, whether a rank is full or not is defined by the back rank.

Edited by Darthain
3 hours ago, KrisPWales said:

A single rank unit has two different states of being at the same time. It exists as both the front rank of the unit and the back rank of the unit simultaneously. An effect will only refer to one of those at a time, so it becomes what it needs to be when it needs to be it. That doesn't void out the other state. An effect referring to back ranks can still impact a single rank unit. And you can still determine if it has less trays than the front rank, if needed.

Q: If a unit is made up of a single rank, can a tray be added to that rank?

A: No. The unit’s single rank is both its front and back rank and is full. The tray must be added to a new back rank for that unit.

Example: A Reanimate Archers unit has only its fronk [sic] rank remaining, which contains one tray. The Waiqar player resolves Ankaur Maro’s ability to add a tray. That tray must be added to a new back rank.

We did it!

25 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

We did it!

voqJvL.gif

I think we can now add "We were right, you were wrong" to our signatures :D

Glad to see this has been cleared up. :)

1 hour ago, Asmo said:

I think we can now add "We were right, you were wrong" to our signatures :D

Ooh, could you fit that on the Waiqar banner figure? It would be tight, but I think it would work!