Cursed Signets

By Curlycross, in Runewars Tactics

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:51 PM, oda204 said:

While I agree mostly, I think that vs. Elves immobilize's usage will increase exponentially.

Honestly I think the Elves will use immobilize more. While the Elves move a lot, they have ranged so if they can't move they'll just shoot you from a far. Elves would be smart to use Scion's and immobilize their enemy so they can't close in on Archers.

On 8/29/2017 at 9:55 AM, Curlycross said:

Honestly I think the Elves will use immobilize more. While the Elves move a lot, they have ranged so if they can't move they'll just shoot you from a far. Elves would be smart to use Scion's and immobilize their enemy so they can't close in on Archers.

Them shooting you is unavoidable, it's their tendency to then scoot out of range of your countercharge that the immobilize can help with.

Even Stun doesn't work on them, since so many of their shifts are abilities rather than modifiers.

21 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

Them shooting you is unavoidable, it's their tendency to then scoot out of range of your countercharge that the immobilize can help with.

Even Stun doesn't work on them, since so many of their shifts are abilities rather than modifiers.

So the counter of that is also true, the Elves using immobilize (since they have a unit that can easily deploy it) to make it so they can't be charged.

So, after some testing, I can confirm my theory that Cursed Signets is, more or less, a garbage card.

A friend of mine ran a double Spearstar list with CS, matched up against my Deathcaller Disco list. On paper, it seemed great. Instead of getting blighted, he would lose a few dudes and slam into me, and with Blight turning to wounds, my Deathcaller/Simultaneous Order build was more or less nullified.

Turns out... it sucks losing that many guys. Rising Panic? Lose two dudes. Oh, my 2x1 of Archers rolled three surges with one on the dial? Sucks that your defense modifier doesn't do anything against these four wounds. Oh, look, every surge Ardus rolls is also a dead guy, regardless of your Shield Wall. Under the best case circumstance Deathcaller is killing two guys a turn, this just turned it down to one per turn which... really just wasn't that much of an issue.

The rest of the game came down to maneuvering, as the two Spearstars were separated on deployment, I was able to lock and grind one down in a corner while the other struggled to engage.

I look forward to seeing someone make Cursed Signets work, but as of now I'm pretty underwhelmed.

Edited by Tvayumat
1 hour ago, Tvayumat said:

So, after some testing, I can confirm my theory that Cursed Signets is, more or less, a garbage card.

A friend of mine ran a double Spearstar list with CS, matched up against my Deathcaller Disco list. On paper, it seemed great. Instead of getting blighted, he would lose a few dudes and slam into me, and with Blight turning to wounds, my Deathcaller/Simultaneous Order build was more or less nullified.

Turns out... it sucks losing that many guys. Rising Panic? Lose two dudes. Oh, my 2x1 of Archers rolled three surges with one on the dial? Sucks that your defense modifier doesn't do anything against these four wounds. Oh, look, every surge Ardus rolls is also a dead guy, regardless of your Shield Wall. Under the best case circumstance Deathcaller is killing two guys a turn, this just turned it down to one per turn which... really just wasn't that much of an issue.

The rest of the game came down to maneuvering, as the two Spearstars were separated on deployment, I was able to lock and grind one down in a corner while the other struggled to engage.

I look forward to seeing someone make Cursed Signets work, but as of now I'm pretty underwhelmed.

This was my thought. Essentially turning any negative effect into another hit. CI on Archers every surge is a hit. I just didn't see the true value. I get trying to stop a charge with stun or wanting to move without immobilize but losing someone from all forms, a bit much.

Seems like the "sweet" spot for Cursed Signets is on a 4x3 Reanimate blob being increased in trays by Ankaur Maro. CS being a way to keep that 4 threat swinging for as long as possible.

Not sure if that is the best way to do it, but that seems the best use of CS

3 hours ago, Church14 said:

Seems like the "sweet" spot for Cursed Signets is on a 4x3 Reanimate blob being increased in trays by Ankaur Maro. CS being a way to keep that 4 threat swinging for as long as possible.

Just because it's the best use still doesn't necessarily mean it's a good use. But I agree. Units with 1 defense care the least about taking wounds, and high value units care the most about not being shut down by banes. Therefore a high-value, 1 defense death star is the best use case for Cursed Signet right now.

2 hours ago, Contrapulator said:

Just because it's the best use still doesn't necessarily mean it's a good use. But I agree. Units with 1 defense care the least about taking wounds, and high value units care the most about not being shut down by banes. Therefore a high-value, 1 defense death star is the best use case for Cursed Signet right now.

I guess... if it had Necromancer and Lingering Dead I could see it on Reanimates... but at that size the opportunity cost is HUGE.

It's competing with Blighted Vexillum, Raven Standard... heck, I'd even take Terrifying Heraldry over CS. At least TH synergizes with the double red die attack and the morale modifier.

Edited by Tvayumat
3 hours ago, Contrapulator said:

Just because it's the best use still doesn't necessarily mean it's a good use.

No use is good use?