Cursed Signets

By Curlycross, in Runewars Tactics

When would Cursed Signets ever be a good idea?

I maintain that there isn't one, but in the future, who knows? Maybe we get a unit that turns wounds into boons, or gets stronger as it takes damage, or has some easy way to regen so long as they have no banes?

Maybe someone will prove me wrong, but IMO wounds are strictly worse than banes in nearly all circumstances.

Now, if this card said you *may* suffer wounds instead of banes, that would be pretty strong.

If you are running a strong unit (e.g. a Spearmen death star) against a blighting Waiqar force it can be preferable to take wounds instead of blight, if your attack would otherwise be completely cancelled.

2 hours ago, Uthoroc said:

If you are running a strong unit (e.g. a Spearmen death star) against a blighting Waiqar force it can be preferable to take wounds instead of blight, if your attack would otherwise be completely cancelled.

And there we have it.

What is the opportunity cost of running it? If your premier unit is not performing due to banes then you'll lose the game. So in this instance loosing a few wounds makes sense.

11 hours ago, Uthoroc said:

Got ya, so a major deathstar not wanting to lose a dice on rolls from blight, lose 1 guy instead of a die, that could be multiplied... I guess that makes sense. I run Waiqar so it's not really a thought for me, I'll take a panic over a wound just about every time.

Uh huh... sure, make my blight battery knock out four models per shot, before dealing regular damage, ignoring defense values because you're suffering wounds rather than damage.

Gee wiz, that sure is terrible, lol.

Edited by Tvayumat

I guess, depending on how the runes are going, as a Waiqar you could just regenerate the lost life.

Yeah, my biggest problem is actually cavalry running about. I don't care about the panic token from Impact, but if they straight up removed a figure because of that...not thanks.

I still am interested in trying it out, but the low price of 2 points speaks heaps - it's certainly not worth much, and as Tvayumat has declared from the beginning, it has a high chance of being detrimental to your unit, rather than helpful.

I have toyed with the idea of a large unit of Reanimates with Cursed Signets, Necromancer, and Lingering Dead, a smaller unit of Reanimates with Dispatch Runner, and Ankaur Maro to help by adding trays. The Necromancer helps to add figures after the consequences of Cursed Signets, and the Dispatch Runner would usually add a Stun token, but instead the Reanimates lose a figure, and they're able to use the Necromancer the following round. It could be a total flop, but it almost seems like it has legs. I bet we will see another figure upgrade in the future that really makes it better.

33 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Yeah, my biggest problem is actually cavalry running about. I don't care about the panic token from Impact, but if they straight up removed a figure because of that...not thanks.

I still am interested in trying it out, but the low price of 2 points speaks heaps - it's certainly not worth much, and as Tvayumat has declared from the beginning, it has a high chance of being detrimental to your unit, rather than helpful.

I have toyed with the idea of a large unit of Reanimates with Cursed Signets, Necromancer, and Lingering Dead, a smaller unit of Reanimates with Dispatch Runner, and Ankaur Maro to help by adding trays. The Necromancer helps to add figures after the consequences of Cursed Signets, and the Dispatch Runner would usually add a Stun token, but instead the Reanimates lose a figure, and they're able to use the Necromancer the following round. It could be a total flop, but it almost seems like it has legs. I bet we will see another figure upgrade in the future that really makes it better.

Frankly, the most compelling use I've heard for Cursed Signets is taking the sting out of the Stun token from Dispatch Runner. Again, if the card said you "may" suffer wounds, it would be infinitely better, but you'd still be taking a buttload of wounds the moment some reanimate archers leveled their bows at you.

I'm also struck by how many other options there are for dealing with banes that are better, like rallying musicians, for instance.

I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

Now if it could make a unit ignore precise icons on dice ...

Stun is a fairly inconsequential bane though, I'm still not sure the upgrade would be worth it.

Blight is the only bad blight really, and it can like up way faster than any other so you'd eat tons of wounds.

No sir, I won't run it

4 minutes ago, Click5 said:

Stun is a fairly inconsequential bane though.

That's really only because there isn't a force yet that can reliably spit them out in quantity or at range.

Stun is EXTREMELY consequential.

35 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

That's really only because there isn't a force yet that can reliably spit them out in quantity or at range.

Stun is EXTREMELY consequential.

I've become very fond of immobilize tokens over time as well, for shenanigans.

Stun though, stun breaks charge, stops skills if secondary, etc. It can be huge, although usually people think cancel that extra hit and little else immediately.

44 minutes ago, Darthain said:

I've become very fond of immobilize tokens over time as well, for shenanigans.

Stun though, stun breaks charge, stops skills if secondary, etc. It can be huge, although usually people think cancel that extra hit and little else immediately.

Immobilize is another thst hasn't been a big deal with only one ranged unit in the game, but as soon as people start eating those tokens at range, they'll learn to appreciate how potent they can be.

Just now, Tvayumat said:

Immobilize is another thst hasn't been a big deal with only one ranged unit in the game, but as soon as people start eating those tokens at range, they'll learn to appreciate how potent they can be.

I forget how, but I landed an immobilize token on my opponents death star (maybe through a small delay engagement), then sniped his rallying cornicen, so I knew what that star wasn't doing this round (charging me), it was great.

Stun and immobilize are y I'm excited to get scions.

Sorry I know, everything elf with me.

Immobilize is significantly better than stun. Stun is almost always worse than blight in combat, and if it's not combat it can be played around and is typically used up on the next activation

On 8/26/2017 at 9:56 AM, Click5 said:

Immobilize is significantly better than stun. Stun is almost always worse than blight in combat, and if it's not combat it can be played around and is typically used up on the next activation

How good/bad any of these banes are is directly and significantly influenced by the circumstances it is received in.

A good portion of the time, immobilize does nothing. It's good at range, or if you have a surefire disengage.

Stun is always good. Blight is always good. Both are ranked above Immobilize as far as general utility goes, IMO.

38 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

How good/bad any of these banes are is directly and significantly influenced by the circumstances it is received in.

A good portion of the time, immobilize does nothing. It's good at range, or if you have a surefire disengage.

Stun is always good. Blight is always good. Both are ranked above Immobilize as far as general utility goes, IMO.

While I agree mostly, I think that vs. Elves immobilize's usage will increase exponentially.

5 hours ago, oda204 said:

While I agree mostly, I think that vs. Elves immobilize's usage will increase exponentially.

That's just it, though. In that specific situation, immobilize is awesome.

Stun is always great. So is Blight, in the vast majority of circumstances.

I've always been a fan of Stun but for some reason I never thought about using it to cancel a charge?? That could be super clutch especially since the Aymhelin Scions can dish that Biz out at range!!!

But why are people trying to charge with a stun token?? Haha

1 hour ago, Click5 said:

But why are people trying to charge with a stun token?? Haha

Even if they dont charge, that stun token did its job.

8 hours ago, oda204 said:

Even if they dont charge, that stun token did its job.

Not only did it do its job then, but it's even ready to do another one

I remember having a beautiful curved charge dialed in and some panic from shooting have me a stun. It transformed into a beautiful charge straight into the side of the board...