I'm just hype to play the game!

By Engine25, in Star Wars: Legion

I resisted minis games when I was younger. I started with X-wing back in 2013 because it was simple and looked awesome on the table. I'm still in love with it. I expanded to Imperial Assault in 2015 and loved it. Played a couple demos of Destiny and liked it way more than I've ever liked a cardgame, so I have a small collection there now.

Let's be clear, I'm "mostly" a casual gamer. I play games to meet people and to get a little mental exercise. And above all else, because its fun.

I don't have a big history as a tabletop gamer. Other than those listed above, I've been an avid videogamer since I was a kid and I love pen and paper RPGs, but actual figures on the table was new for me before X-wing and even now I'm intimidated by the scale and intricacies of games like Warhammer and Armada. I'm also not a painter. It's expensive and frustrating and time-consuming, and I'd rather not spend time painting that I can spend playing the game.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm incredibly excited for this game.

The scale doesn't matter to me. I'll likely commission a handful of figures to be painted by some friends, but I don't plan to spend any of my own time painting. I like that there's only two factions. I like that its mechanically straightforward. I'm simply not into the hobbyist aspects of miniature gaming. It's not my thing. I don't mean to say any of those opinions are invalid, because there are worlds of people who are miniatures hobbyists and those aspects are important to them. Good for you! I think you should keep painting and play the games you want to play.

I just want to play the game. It's simple and it looks like tons of fun. I wanted to start a thread for others like me, because I see a lot of negativity about some aspects of the game that are irrelevant to me personally. The most important thing, in my opinion, should always be "Is it fun to play?" I think it looks like a lot of fun. I'm not naive about it. The game seems simple, but I prefer that. Simplicity is what really hooked me into X-wing when I began, and Legion seems similarly simple.

So who else is hype to play Star Wars Legion? What do you like about the demos you've seen? What don't you like about the gameplay?

Sound off!

Edited by Engine25

I'm so hyped even my hype is hyped.

Miniatures look awesome. Game play looks fast furious and fun. FFG + Star Wars = WIN

Can't wait to get stuck in.

I am hyped to play!

I like the simple movement rules and skirmish game. I considered 40k, but find it hard to trust GW after they killed my beloved Fantasy.

7 minutes ago, ryanabt said:

I am hyped to play!

I like the simple movement rules and skirmish game. I considered 40k, but find it hard to trust GW after they killed my beloved Fantasy.

I have given up on Games Workshop. Prices. Attitude of staff. Prices. So many expensive books which get replaced every few years. Prices. Uncertainty as to whether your army will still even exist or get Squatted.

I'm actually here for Armada and X-Wing, but found myself caught up in the hype for Legion. For no other reason than.....

IT'S STAR WARS!

Best of all it's Star Wars by FFG

I'm excited based on the demo games shown; not only is it SW but it looks like a different, well thought out innovative game. Without the decent game attached I probably would've got a box of stormtroopers for my desk and never bothered playing.

I'm hoping cost is sensible as this will be the deal breaker.

You're right tho, Theres currently some tension from three main areas;

• those that wanted a more epic scale (I.e. Waves of AT ATs or about xwing scale)
  • those that wanted to use their existing IA figures
  • those that wanted prepainted figures

Some good points on all fronts but ultimately the die has been cast on this and it is what it is.

Edited by Dice lord

I know I'm hyped because the last go by FFG at a tabletop wargame (Dust Warfare) had absolutely incredible rules, even if it was cut short...

11 minutes ago, Zetsubou said:

I know I'm hyped because the last go by FFG at a tabletop wargame (Dust Warfare) had absolutely incredible rules, even if it was cut short...

To be fair, Dust wasn't a product FFG had creative control of. Dust is owned by Mr Paolo Parente and over the years the IP and game has been switching producers, distributors and partners so fast and so often I've lost track a while ago. Definetly more than half a dozen different companies had something to do with it at one point or another. Now, if you read Mr Parente's side of the story, most of his business partners were pending time twirling moustaches and scheming to get him, but the fact remains that the only constant in Dust's long history of getting mishandled is the person of Mr Parente...

Edited by player1750031
2 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

To be fair, Dust wasn't a product FFG had creative control of. Dust is owned by Mr Paolo Parente and over the years the IP and game has been switching producers, distributors and partners so fast and so often I've lost track a while ago. Definetly more than half a dozen different companies had something to do with it at one point or another. Now, if you read Mr Parente's side of the story, most of his business partners were pending time twirling moustaches and scheming to get him, but the fact remains that the only constant in Dust's long history of getting mishandled is the person of Mr Parente...

Oh I definitely know the history, at least of Warfare itself. I've just been waiting ever since Parente reclaimed his wayward IP for FFG to announce another game with a similar rule set.

2 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

The fact remains that the only constant in Dust's long history of getting mishandled is the person of Mr Parente...

I can't tell you how many times this was my response to students when they toldnme how I, other teachers, parents, etc. Were mistreating them.

44 minutes ago, Engine25 said:

I resisted minis games when I was younger. I started with X-wing back in 2013 because it was simple and looked awesome on the table. I'm still in love with it. I expanded to Imperial Assault in 2015 and loved it. Played a couple demos of Destiny and liked it way more than I've ever liked a cardgame, so I have a small collection there now.

Let's be clear, I'm "mostly" a casual gamer. I play games to meet people and to get a little mental exercise. And above all else, because its fun.

I don't have a big history as a tabletop gamer. Other than those listed above, I've been an avid videogamer since I was a kid and I love pen and paper RPGs, but actual figures on the table was new for me before X-wing and even now I'm intimidated by the scale and intricacies of games like Warhammer and Armada. I'm also not a painter. It's expensive and frustrating and time-consuming, and I'd rather not spend time painting that I can spend playing the game.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm incredibly excited for this game.

The scale doesn't matter to me. I'll likely commission a handful of figures to be painted by some friends, but I don't plan to spend any of my own time painting. I like that there's only two factions. I like that its mechanically straightforward. I'm simply not into the hobbyist aspects of miniature gaming. It's not my thing. I don't mean to say any of those opinions are invalid, because there are worlds of people who are miniatures hobbyists and those aspects are important to them. Good for you! I think you should keep painting and play the games you want to play.

I just want to play the game. It's simple and it looks like tons of fun. I wanted to start a thread for others like me, because I see a lot of negativity about some aspects of the game that are irrelevant to me personally. The most important thing, in my opinion, should always be "Is it fun to play?" I think it looks like a lot of fun. I'm not naive about it. The game seems simple, but I prefer that. Simplicity is what really hooked me into X-wing when I began, and Legion seems similarly simple.

So who else is hype to lay Star Wars Legion? What do you like about the demos you've seen? What don't you like about the gameplay?

Sound off!

Gonna stream it? ?

I am looking forward to this game as well. Trying to stay clear of all the hate threads.

I'm so hyped its unreal.

I hope the community takes of like X-Wing has. maybe that's asking too much.

34 minutes ago, Audio Weasel said:

Gonna stream it? ?

Potentially :-D

Side note, I'm actually working on a blog about movies and other nerd things and probably going to expand to videos by the end of the year. If/when I have concrete links I'll send them your way if you're interested! I've been writing movie reviews on my Facebook page for a bit, so I'm looking to make a more permanent home for that and my photos (I'm a photographer, spoke about that a bit on the old FCB show.) Anywho, I'll probably share Star Wars-related content on these forums, but otherwise I'll drop you links (when they exist) if you want so you can follow elsewhere!

3 minutes ago, Sk3tch said:

I'm so hyped its unreal.

I hope the community takes of like X-Wing has. maybe that's asking too much.

Probably not as big as X-wing, but I can see it having a more general appeal than Armada or Imperial Assault. X-wing just has a curbside appeal that other games don't that allows it to attract more general fans that aren't big gamers. (Like it did for me).

1 hour ago, Zetsubou said:

Just one question, did FFG have to do anything with the rules? I though they were just the distributors for Dust. I know Andy Chambers did Dust Warfare but that is all I know. I'm quiite sure FFG had nothing to do with the Dust Tactic rules. And I also think it is sad what happened to the Dust games.

And I'm also hyped about the game.

Edited by Iceeagle85

FFG was the US distributor of Dust Tactics and eventually published Dust Warfare on their own. How Warfare came into being licence-wise is nebulous at best, to the point that even though Dust Tactics has been changing hands several times since then, Warfare is still in legal limbo even though apparently Mr Parente would like to re-release it.

14 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

FFG was the US distributor of Dust Tactics and eventually published Dust Warfare on their own. How Warfare came into being licence-wise is nebulous at best, to the point that even though Dust Tactics has been changing hands several times since then, Warfare is still in legal limbo even though apparently Mr Parente would like to re-release it.

Thanks for the information. Is Dust still soldd in the US? Here in germany minature wargaming blogs report about new stuff beeing released but all the stores and online stores I know don't get new stufuf some may sell stock they still have, but that'S about it. And I dislike that they don't sell 2 player starter bocex anymore, I got the first and the second one.

You are certainly not the only one hyped. I'd wager that more of us are hyped than not. Unfortunately, complainers are always the loudest. But they are rarely the majority.

I have seen much too much tabletop rules to be hyped at this stage. So far I like what I've seen, but there is still a lot that can go wrong. Igougo systems are in danger to degenerate into chess-like exchanges. "I kill a unit, you kill a unit" is not a lot more interesting than 40K's dumb "I move and shoot my entire army while you check your e-mails and you can shoot back with what is left." I miss a mechanism for reaction.

The rules for setup and objectives look promising. I would like more information on that.

And please, FFG, I don't want to have to buy Jabba the Hutt three times to kit out a squad with thermal detonators.

Edited by Rumar
Typo, as always
2 hours ago, Engine25 said:

Correction, you where a mostly casual gamer. Welcome to the veterans table, trust me when I say you belong here. Most people start out as casual gamers, but casual gamers don't post on forums, and systematically start picking up several collectible games while eagerly anticipating the next one. That's the mark of someone that has switched over and maybe hasn't realized it yet.

Legion certainly looks interesting though I have to admit I'm not really that excited about it. My gaming group and I talked about it and basically what it boiled down to was that out of the six mini gamers we have zero volunteers to play Rebels.

I think when it comes to the Star Wars movies and the story of Star Wars, Rebel characters on foot where only exciting when they had lightsabres. I don't see anything interesting at all outside of Luke Skywalker on the Rebel side and a whole lot of awsome on the Imperial side. Rebels just look boring to play. I think they have chosen poorly for the basis of this game. This would have been a lot more interesting in the Clone War era (Clones vs. Droids), or as a specialized character based tactical game (aka lots of lightsabres and unique characters from the story). But running a squad of Rebels... meh.. I don't mind playing Imperial Assault but its mostly because you are using a lot of unique, recognizable characters regardless of which side your on and on the imperial side, you know all the variations on the storm trooper are always cool.. but variants on a rebel soldier.... BOOOORING!

2 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Correction, you where a mostly casual gamer. Welcome to the veterans table, trust me when I say you belong here. Most people start out as casual gamers, but casual gamers don't post on forums, and systematically start picking up several collectible games while eagerly anticipating the next one. That's the mark of someone that has switched over and maybe hasn't realized it yet.

Legion certainly looks interesting though I have to admit I'm not really that excited about it. My gaming group and I talked about it and basically what it boiled down to was that out of the six mini gamers we have zero volunteers to play Rebels.

I think when it comes to the Star Wars movies and the story of Star Wars, Rebel characters on foot where only exciting when they had lightsabres. I don't see anything interesting at all outside of Luke Skywalker on the Rebel side and a whole lot of awsome on the Imperial side. Rebels just look boring to play. I think they have chosen poorly for the basis of this game. This would have been a lot more interesting in the Clone War era (Clones vs. Droids), or as a specialized character based tactical game (aka lots of lightsabres and unique characters from the story). But running a squad of Rebels... meh.. I don't mind playing Imperial Assault but its mostly because you are using a lot of unique, recognizable characters regardless of which side your on and on the imperial side, you know all the variations on the storm trooper are always cool.. but variants on a rebel soldier.... BOOOORING!

I would not say casual and veteran gamers are mutually exclusive. I would definitely say that I'm a veteran X-wing player. Doesn't make me less casual. I began posting on the forums about 3 months after I started playing that game. In fact, I believe it was the day that Wave 4 was announced on the FFG website.

Casual and competitive are conflicting ideals, and while I've dabbled at a tournament here or there, its for the experience of meeting new people with similar interests. I've only done really well at a tournament once in my 4 years of X-wing, and I'm fine with that. I have a fair understanding of the meta, but I prefer experimental lists. I don't win much. I've met quite a few awesome folks from my area and from many other states because I went to those tournaments. But I can't see the value in spending extra money to travel long distances to play a tournament, and if tournaments require pre-registration they've all but lost my money because I don't or often can't decide I'm definitely attending a tournament until the day before or morning of. More power to the guy who pre-registered and bought my seat, but its not my bag.

I get just about everything I need from gaming by going to the LGS a few nights a month, hanging with some cool people, and rolling some dice. I am proudly a staunch defender of the casual gaming experience. The amount of time I've played doesn't change that. I hope we get to play together some time.

I'm in the same group of gamers that @Engine25 seems to be. I'm very experienced, having played each of X-Wing, Armada, Imp Assault, Rebellion all from their start date (okay, I missed X-wing by a bit, but it was very shortly after release). I've played each of the games countless times, and I too have dabbled in tournaments. I own at least one (and in some cases multiples) of every release for all of the games. It's where pretty much all my disposable income goes.

But I'm not a competitive gamer. I've been to all of one regionals and one nationals for X-Wing. I do okay. I'll never win a tournament since I'm not constantly examining every combo for the most janky list to screw my opponent over with. I just want to go out and play and have some fun. Make some Star Wars moments happen. I'll quite happily set up whatever I have at the FLGS I go to on any given night. Throw some dice, move some units around, groan when I get crappy rolls, and try not to be *too* happy when the rolls all go my way.

I'm about as casual a gamer as you can get. And I'm super excited for Legion.

Edited by Slugrage
50 minutes ago, Rumar said:

I have seen much too much tabletop rules to be hyped at this stage. So far I like what I've seen, but there is still a lot that can go wrong. Igougo systems are in danger to degenerate into chess-like exchanges. "I kill a unit, you kill a unit" is not a lot more interesting than 40K's dumb "I move and shoot my entire army while you check your e-mails and you can shoot back with what is left." I miss a mechanism for reaction.

The rules for setup and objectives look promising. I would like more information on that.

And please, FFG, I don't want to have to buy Jabba the Hutt three times to kit out a squad with thermal detonators.

One of the persons hired by FFG to demo Legion at GenCon said that there is an "overwatch" mechanic in the rules. If a unit doesn't attack and sacrifice one of its actions during its activation, it gets an overwatch token and can spend it during one of the enemy units' activation to attack.

There is also a concept of morale (very similar to Bolt Action pinned concept).

Just now, Xargonaut said:

One of the persons hired by FFG to demo Legion at GenCon said that there is an "overwatch" mechanic in the rules. If a unit doesn't attack and sacrifice one of its actions during its activation, it gets an overwatch token and can spend it during one of the enemy units' activation to attack.

There is also a concept of morale (very similar to Bolt Action pinned concept).

Thank you, bearer of good news!

17 minutes ago, Rumar said:

Thank you, bearer of good news!

I can't find the specific thread where this was mentioned, but @TallTonyB is the man! :)