A question and a statement to FFG Legion apologists

By patox, in Star Wars: Legion

6 minutes ago, patox said:

Would anyone have been terribly upset if Legion was the exact same scale as Imperial Assault?

Yes. Some people are mad because Legion figs appear to be slightly larger than IA figs. Others are upset because Legion is not a 6mm or 15mm game.

8 minutes ago, patox said:

Here's another question:

Would anyone have been terribly upset if Legion was the exact same scale as Imperial Assault?

I would have been ok with that. I prefer the new scale due to the extra detail and it just looks better, bit if that had never been announced I'd have been ok.

Of course, now hat it HAS, I'm pleased with the upscaling and would be sad it it changed :D

double post

Edited by Extropia
11 minutes ago, patox said:

If they were the same quality as IA, I'd be less inclined to buy the game.

2 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

If they were the same quality as IA, I'd be less inclined to buy the game.

Very true. Scale...as above, that's fine. Quality would need to be better than IA though, which is acceptable for a board game but totally subpar for a proper war game.

Edited by Extropia
19 minutes ago, patox said:

Here's another question:

Very, very good question. Answer ? No. Newcomers would still be happy. Old clients would have purchased the game (and saved time of painting, at least to start) + added new sculpts to their collection. That was the best move, including from a $ point of view. Period.

3 minutes ago, Extropia said:

Very true. Scale...as above, that's fine.

Yeah the scale doesn't matter much... Although if Legion is 32-35mm scale that does make terrain harder to come by. But I don't think IA is 28mm either so <_<

The larger model does have the benefit of being easier to paint and allowing for more detail. So if I were involved in the decision and apparently FFG has learned a bit from RW, I'd likely go with a larger model as well so I could make a higher quality model.

11 hours ago, kurttkrueger said:

I'm cut and pasting one of my previous responses to this issue from an earlier thread, as I honestly cannot believe the saltiness that's on display over the scale of these miniatures:

At the end of the day, Legion and IA are separate games. Nowhere has FFG said that they are to be compatible or that they were designed to complement each other.

Legion is a totally new game. I can't understand why you'd expect to use existing miniatures from a completely separate game with a different genre and focus, and then complain when you can't?

Did X-wing players complain when they realised they couldn't use their existing ships in Armada?

I know my problem is just the scale being similar to IA. i was hoping for an armada scale with this new game or a bit smaller than IA, allowing them to utilise lots of AT-ST and AT-AT miniatures, those vehicles are licence to print money. :)

What I don't understand is that no matter what, when a new game comes out there's always people on these forums who trash it and call anyone who likes the game "FFG apologists"...

I'm on this forum because I really like FFG and any Star Wars game they create. You don't see me on a WH40K forum saying what trash that game is, because I've never played it! I don't understand why people seem to have so much time to be negative about things. I'd rather spend my free time talking about things I love!

I'm a hopeless "FFG apologist", and proud of it!

I could accept the larger scale models if it wasn't for the change in proportions on the new models. I liked the realistic design of the Imperial Assault models but the Legion models with oversized head and limbs just look ridiculous, in my opinion. I know some people like the exaggerated proportions of the heroic miniature style but I can't stand it.

I had the same issues with the Rebels and Clone Wars cartoon characters that have made it to Imperial Assault, they use heroic designs and the change in art style is distracting.

(The Legion bases also look way so tall they are ridiculous, they could easily halve the height)

11 hours ago, kurttkrueger said:

I'm cut and pasting one of my previous responses to this issue from an earlier thread, as I honestly cannot believe the saltiness that's on display over the scale of these miniatures:

At the end of the day, Legion and IA are separate games. Nowhere has FFG said that they are to be compatible or that they were designed to complement each other.

Legion is a totally new game. I can't understand why you'd expect to use existing miniatures from a completely separate game with a different genre and focus, and then complain when you can't?

Did X-wing players complain when they realised they couldn't use their existing ships in Armada?

Laughable. Saying Legion and IA are totally different is a joke.

Just now, Guest Lucas said:

Laughable. Saying Legion and IA are totally different is a joke.

I guess you find facts funny?

Imperial Assault and Legion are in fact totally different games.

As I stated in another post before it disappeared;

For those now bored of the same old bellyaching, I recommend to those excited by the possibilities this game offers to start ignoring the negative threads and to respond to those that are creative, helpful and interesting.

Your choice of course, but it's getting rather repetitive.

12 hours ago, kurttkrueger said:

+1

10 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

What I don't understand is that no matter what, when a new game comes out there's always people on these forums who trash it and call anyone who likes the game "FFG apologists"...

I'm on this forum because I really like FFG and any Star Wars game they create. You don't see me on a WH40K forum saying what trash that game is, because I've never played it! I don't understand why people seem to have so much time to be negative about things. I'd rather spend my free time talking about things I love!

I'm a hopeless "FFG apologist", and proud of it!

You can like FFG and still admit they made a mistake. I love FFG. I have countless games from them. I spend a fortune on their games and I think their design is the best of the best. IA is a masterpiece. Rebellion is a masterpiece. I love Armada. I love X-xing. But doing 2 games with mini so close (but still incompatible) is ridiculous. Thing of a game like X-wing, but with a 10% difference in size. Wouldn't it be a bit ridiculous ? Rules are different. Ok. Number of mini is different : ok. But for example, WH Quest the board game and Warhammer are totally different games, different focus, different scale. But the mini are f****g compatible !!!!

4 minutes ago, Manchu said:

I guess you find facts funny?

Imperial Assault and Legion are in fact totally different games.

No, they are not. Stating the opposite with your friend posting +1 does not prove anything. You can argue and you have not facts, just affirmations. Anyway, you'll be pleased and FFG won't get my money.

I feel like they're different games if they play differently... And they do. And FFG has other products that could have been compatible and are not. Expecting them to handle this differently seems strange. It would have been cool if the minis were cross compatible, but it's no surprise they're not, as the games are quite different.

3 minutes ago, Guest Lucas said:

No, they are not.

Imperial Assault and Legion are indisputably totally different. IA is a semi-cooperative dungeon crawler board game. Legion is a competitive, unit-based miniatures battles game. We can drill down to specific details if you still don't understand the difference. In all sincerity, I would be happy to explain more about how Legion works if you don't know.

Edited by Manchu
1 minute ago, Manchu said:

Imperial Assault and Legion are indisputably totally different. IA is a semi-cooperative board dungeon crawler board game. Legion is a competitive miniatures battles game. We can drill down to specific details if you still don't understand the difference. In all sincerity, I would be happy to explain more about how Legion works if you don't know.

You are 100% right, but he's not going to accept it. I'd save your arguments and move on tbh :)

Extropia, agreed but these discussions are in many cases less about trying to convince the people posting and more about laying out accurate information/exposing disinformation for the people who might be reading.

9 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Imperial Assault and Legion are indisputably totally different. IA is a semi-cooperative dungeon crawler board game. Legion is a competitive, unit-based miniatures battles game. We can drill down to specific details if you still don't understand the difference. In all sincerity, I would be happy to explain more about how Legion works if you don't know.

Look at warhammer quest from GW and warhammer the miniature game. One is a semi cooperative dungeon crawler boardgame. The other is a competitive, unit based miniature game. We can drill down to specific details if you still don't understand the difference. And then, I'll show you the miniatures and you'll see (and that's hard to believe) that they have exactly the same scale. I mean : exactly. How can GW be so wrong ?

Saying the rules are different is a fact. Coming to the conclusion that the miniature scale HAS to be different is not logical at all (especially a 10% difference).

The fact that you and your friends try to ridicule those who dare criticize ... well ...

7 minutes ago, Extropia said:

You are 100% right, but he's not going to accept it. I'd save your arguments and move on tbh :)

2 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Extropia, agreed but these discussions are in many cases less about trying to convince the people posting and more about laying out accurate information/exposing disinformation for the people who might be reading.

Same user. Likely to be a FFG moderator hiding ... Shame.

This doesn't make much sense as a thing to complain about. You can't use Descent minis in Rune Wars, and no one seems very upset about that. And if you're playing your friends anyway, sure, proxy away. But even if IA WAS compatible wouldn't you need to buy units for the unit cards/tokens anyway?

Hahaha...we love thousands of miles apart, but ok mate :D

I see you've gone past negativity into paranoia now. I think I'll leave it alone from here, don't want you going totally over the edge.

You aren't buying it, and I am. That's all that needs to be said really.

Edited by Extropia
3 minutes ago, Guest Lucas said:

Look at warhammer quest from GW and warhammer the miniature game.

Games Workshop has openly stated on many occasions that it is a miniatures company first and that it makes rules as part of selling miniatures. That is not true of FFG. FFG sells games first and foremost, some of which use miniatures as components.