A question and a statement to FFG Legion apologists

By patox, in Star Wars: Legion

1) For everyone jumping on the Legion bandwagon: How will you feel if the next Star Wars Minis game turns out to be 38mm?

2) Even GW at their very worst, Space Hulk, Gorka Morka nad Necromunda miniatures were still allowed in 40k armies at Official GW Events

EDIT: Typo

Edited by patox

I'm cut and pasting one of my previous responses to this issue from an earlier thread, as I honestly cannot believe the saltiness that's on display over the scale of these miniatures:

At the end of the day, Legion and IA are separate games. Nowhere has FFG said that they are to be compatible or that they were designed to complement each other.

Legion is a totally new game. I can't understand why you'd expect to use existing miniatures from a completely separate game with a different genre and focus, and then complain when you can't?

Did X-wing players complain when they realised they couldn't use their existing ships in Armada?

Edited by kurttkrueger

1) "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is"

This game was announced last Friday!? Does anyone care at this point what the next game will be like?

"Be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the moment"

2) As a non tournament player, not a concern to me in the slightest.

Lol at "apologists" for starters.

1) I'd be surprised. If th models were significantly better (like e Legion ones are compared to IA) I'd likely buy them though. But I could be dead by then, so who cares what might come out in 4+ years?

2) FFG haven't ruled that you can't yet, and since I give zero craps about official events anyway doesn't matter to me.

I'd think, "Huh, I wonder why they felt they had to go bigger, seems an odd decision. Oh well it doesn't affect me." That or, if I want to jump into that new game, change that last sentence too: "Oh well, gives me more room to paint detail."

Not a problem either way.

Edited by shivore

1) For everyone jumping on the Legion bandwagon

**** yeah, gunna be some awesome pew pew!!!

watch the team covenant video with the developer and its pretty clear that they are going for a fully immersive experience that you get from Miniature wargaming.

I am going to assume no IA, and really its fine. Homebrew it if you want but the scale will be the different, the models are different.

Its time we accept it and move on to more positive threads.

First off, calling people excited about the games "apologists" probably isn't going to help you win friends and influence people.

More importantly, it seems as if IA players feel entitled to not buy new models for a new game. I get that cross compaitibility would have been nice, but I disagree that it was owed.

Seems to me that you really only have a case if Legion replaces IA and FFG gives no forewarning (ala WHF). Otherwise, you have a game you bought and, assumedly, enjoy. You may or may not purchase another game that you may enjoy.

Edited by ryanabt

I wish FFG would address the scale issue, and I say this as someone who never got into IA. Only because as in most things in the absence of official communication people tend to assume the worst, i.e. in this case "its a money grabbing scheme / FFG wants me to buy my faction twice over."

Maybe its a licensing thing, maybe they're after the 40K market and had to up their minis game, maybe those are pre-production resin masters and the final retail ones will be in-scale to IA, idk.

And GW at their absolute worst . . . . oh man. Let's not even go there.

Edited by rabidaskal

I, for one, welcome our new 32mm overlords.

Also, IA is a Board game, with board game minis, produced by a company with growing experience in mini design. I started playing 40k with Space Crusade models, but very quickly left them for Space Wolves. IA players will get over it - maybe not in 48 hours, but Soon.

I don't own an IA so I really don't care. If you do own IA, you either need time to cope with the reality of a scale difference, or you just play with your IA minis next to Legion. You're going to be standing 3-4 feet away from the board looking down on it. So long as the minis are painted, it shouldn't be a huge deal.

20 minutes ago, rabidaskal said:

I wish FFG would address the scale issue, and I say this as someone who never got into IA. Only because as in most things in the absence of official communication people tend to assume the worst, i.e. in this case "its a money grabbing scheme / FFG wants me to buy my faction twice over."

Maybe its a licensing thing, maybe they're after the 40K market and had to up their minis game, maybe those are pre-production resin masters and the final retail ones will be in-scale to IA, idk.

And GW at their absolute worst . . . . oh man. Let's not even go there.

Seeing as the majority of anyone in the know regarding this game is still in Indianapolis... don't hold your breath. Those guys may get back to the office tomorrow at the earliest. Maybe Wednesday. I know other companies either have meetings today in Indy with other game companies or gaming professionals, or they simply take/get vacation to make up for the fact they just worked all weekend. Some companies don't pay extra for cons and instead you get capped at the 40 hours and they may not get back to the office till Friday. I would expect to hear more in a week or 2 as they start firing up the hype train.

4 hours ago, patox said:

1) For everyone jumping on the Legion bandwagon: How will you feel if the next Star Wars Minis game turns out to be 38mm?

"What the fudge donut!? Imperial Assault, then Legion, and now here's another game - with bigger miniatures! I'm not getting this! Where is my X-Wing scaled armoured ground assault game? I want my AT-ATs!!!"

Something like that.

4 hours ago, patox said:

2) Even GW at their very worst, Space Hulk, Gorka Morka nad Necromunda miniatures were still allowed in 40k armies at Official GW Events

Indeed.

Ehhh, the traditional fanboy/upset consumer divide. Some people have concerns and want those addressed, other people think this is their party and nobody shall ruin the fun on their special day.

I can honestly tell people, if you can't see why IA and Legion might have the same scale and compatibility because they're different games, that's far more a cognitive deficit on your part, than it is a great point. Which people seem to act like they're making. That's definitely not the well thought out opinion of an experienced wargamer. Whether it's your opinion or not.

But I have a feeling IA players will lobby FFG to make a change, and they either will or they won't. And they'll either lose enough business that it matters, or they'll rake in money hand over fist and it'll never matter at all. And on the other side, I imagine players who derive emotional satisfaction through excitement on games forums and saying positive things to each other in a circle, will continue to complain about people threatening their buzz, and making proclamations that the game will be tremendous success whether it turns out to be a middling financial effort, or rakes in money hand over fist.

Yay! Yet another thread with exactly the same argument as all the other threads about it!

too_much_salt_360.jpg

1 minute ago, Slugrage said:

Yay! Yet another thread with exactly the same argument as all the other threads about it!

too_much_salt_360.jpg

Is it table, rock or sea salt though?

1 hour ago, Tommy Blunderbuss said:

Is it table, rock or sea salt though?

Depends, are you flipping it, throwing it, or forcing your Army to attack it as a means of humiliating them to reinforce your absolute rule upon them?

4 minutes ago, Guest GoM Remote said:

Depends, are you flipping it, throwing it, or forcing your Army to attack it as a means of humiliating them to reinforce your absolute rule upon them?

It's to rub into the wounds of my vanquished foes :lol:

I'm hyped, but I'm not a hobbyist. The game looks simple and fun, and I'm not into painting and scale is irrelevant to me. I wouldn't have expected it to be compatible with IA even if the minis were the same size, because FFG has other products that could happen for and hasn't done it.

I just want to play the game. And I'll shamelessly put out my unpainted army across from your admittedly gorgeous and painstakingly painted figures, shake your hand, and we'll throwdown. And you'll probably win, but at least I met you and we had a good time. That's what really matters.

Sounds good Engine25 :)

6 minutes ago, Engine25 said:

I'm hyped, but I'm not a hobbyist. The game looks simple and fun, and I'm not into painting and scale is irrelevant to me. I wouldn't have expected it to be compatible with IA even if the minis were the same size, because FFG has other products that could happen for and hasn't done it.

I just want to play the game. And I'll shamelessly put out my unpainted army across from your admittedly gorgeous and painstakingly painted figures, shake your hand, and we'll throwdown. And you'll probably win, but at least I met you and we had a good time. That's what really matters.

Wait. You're talking about having fun, enjoying yourself, and playing the game to have a cool Star Wars experience? What are you? Some kind of heretic? ;)

Just now, Slugrage said:

Wait. You're talking about having fun, enjoying yourself, and playing the game to have a cool Star Wars experience? What are you? Some kind of heretic? ;)

I hope that doesn't make me a heretic. I'm just a staunch defender of the casual gaming experience.

Did anyone mention that neither IA nor Legion are in scale with my 25mm West End Games/Grenadier Stormtroopers? This is the real crime here... :rolleyes:

Was there this much entitled whining when Armada was announced? Were people upset that you could not use your XWings in that game?

It's a completely different game with figures at a different scale. It's ridiculous to expect compatability.

It's not Like IA is going anywhere. Those figures are not wasted money. You can still play IA with them.

Not to mention potential licensing/legal issues (remember, hasbro has stake in IA but not legion)

And really, "apologists"? Quit being so immature. If you don't want to have to pay for the miniratures, fine, don't pay the game. But stop coming in here and crying that FFG is not catering to your every whim.

Here's another question:

Would anyone have been terribly upset if Legion was the exact same scale as Imperial Assault?