After the disappointment comes the thoughts

By Tommy Blunderbuss, in Star Wars: Legion

Ok so yesterday I was really disappointed. It was my hope that the next new game would be a Star Wars: Ground Assault scaled like X-Wing but not compatible with it. At the heart of this release would be the eagerly awaited AT-AT. Miniatures would be prepainted, and the range would feature tanks, walkers and atmospheric craft. Pe rhaps some cards and tokens in a set to bring U-Wings, Tie Strikers and anything else from X-Wing into the game.

Instead we got another miniature game which, while different to Imperial Assault, seemed just the same only without board tiles.

Boo hoo :( wah wah wah.

Now that I've had my moan about what should have been, I can now think about Star Wars Legion with a clear head.

I've always wanted a company of Stormtroopers. Having to assemble and paint them is a bit of a downer for me, but I might be able to get them commission done if they're not too expensive. The miniatures look really cool, and I can't wait to see more. I'm especially keen to see the AT-ST, hoping it'll be better than the IA version.

Combined with Armada, X-Wing and Star Wars Roleplaying, I can see this game making a welcome addition to my brewing narrative campaign I'm working on.

So not what I was hoping for, but certainly worth being interested in.

I'll just have to do a custom AT-AT scenario for games of X-Wing.

What the heck are you talking about?

3 minutes ago, qwertyuiop said:

What the heck are you talking about?

Disappointed it wasn't a 1/270 scaled game for ground vehicles.

Happy to have a miniature game for battles not skirmish.

Just in case that isn't understood:

Yesterday :huh:

Today :)

I prefer this scale and glad they chose it; it allows for much more cinematic 'skirmish' recreation than just the Hoth plains battle; just from A New Hope you've got Scenario options aplenty:

1. Vader/stormtroopers board the Tantive (stop Leia passing plans to droids).

2. Tusken Raiders ambush a sandtrooper patrol.

3. Obi Wan stealth mission to deactivate the tractor beam.

4. Luke and Han (Stormtrooper) with Chewie attack detention level cells.

5. Luke Leia Han and Chewie escape from Death Star and Obi Wan vs Vader.

Can't wait

Just now, Dice lord said:

I prefer this scale and glad they chose it; it allows for much more cinematic 'skirmish' recreation than just the Hoth plains battle; just from A New Hope you've got Scenario options aplenty:

Can't wait

Exactly, there's so much to look forward to. I've just been looking around the web for model kits and found a 1/48 scale Revell Lambda Shuttle.

I'd like to play a mission to steal the shuttle Tydirium. Won't make any rules for the ship, it'd just look awesome in the Empire deployment zone.

Yea, That's a good one! What rebel squad stole the shuttle tydirium used on the Endor attack? What planet did it happen on? Was it an infiltration or a coordinated attack? Never seen on film (or even discussed) but a great scenario idea for this type of game.

Just now, Dice lord said:

Yea, That's a good one! What rebel squad stole the shuttle tydirium used on the Endor attack? What planet did it happen on? Was it an infiltration or a coordinated attack? Never seen on film (or even discussed) but a great scenario idea for this type of game.

I think it would be fun to do background missions like this. It could even be a little campaign as the Rebels work their way up to the Grand theft Lambda.

Now where's the Bothan's expansion? For many will die to gather some vital information.

Find friends with 3d printers.

Download scale up and print one of the hundreds of free x- wing compatible or IA terrain stl's out there

???

Profit

Edited by Ralgon
2 hours ago, Dice lord said:

Can't wait

Oh geez...something quite naughty happened after reading this.

2 hours ago, Dice lord said:

Can't wait

1, 3, 4 & 5 would be imperial assault and not legion, they all happen indoors.

2 is also imperial assault because that game actually has tusken raiders and they won't fit with either announced faction in legion.

Haha, miniatures games can also take place "indoors." Dunegon Crawlers don't have the monopoly on that.

I dont have IA.

I will have SW:L. And gosh darn it I will play these scenarios.

Hope you will too!

I think the IA AT-ST is fine for what it is. Were I not lazy, I'd take pics of one next to the WotC AT-ST for comparison.

I want AT-ATs! I really wanted them in X-Wing scale, with playability as an X-Wing ground game.

Bottom line, there are two games I want to play - the Battle of Hoth (and sure Scarif too) and Star Wars Battlefront the board and/or the mini game. Yes I am talking about the EA game featuring Walker Assault mode -- So you have a bunch of infantry/vehicles fighting over communication nodes in order to call in bombing on the invincible AT-ATs as they plod toward the objective. Once a com node is successfully held by the Rebels, the AT-ATs are ion bombed which opens them up to take damage. Now, the Imps must defend the Walkers while the Rebels must concentrate fire on the Walkers in order to bring them down for the limited time they are vulnerable. Now that's a fun cool game I want to play and it gives us SW Battlefront the Board/mini game.

For Hoth, different set of rules, AT-ATs Vs snowspeeders. AT-ATs plod and speeders zip all over the place. Someone posted a great idea that you have the speeders move then shoot and move again. This can be advantageous, but can also make them overshoot into the Walker's firing arcs. Add in the infantry, turrets, and vehicles and you have a fantastic game.

Come on FFG, WE WANT AT-ATs!

Though not exactly to scale.....

DSC9857-featured.jpg.5efa23456c14b451572cee14909eb772.jpg

.....I don't think that will matter in the heat of battle. Can't wait to pick this up once Legion is released. Best part, it's a snap fit easy kit that comes prepainted.

Revell also do a Millennium Falcon. Might consider it for escape from Tatooine, Hoth and Bespin type scenarios.

I bought a WOTC AT-AT to go with my imperial assault minis, it would fit right in with legion.

43 minutes ago, mulletcheese said:

I bought a WOTC AT-AT to go with my imperial assault minis, it would fit right in with legion.

I'm thinking of getting the Black Series AT-AT for use in X-Wing. Probably be slow moving objectives that shoot back, albeit not very effectively against fighters.

I am thinking of getting some Bandai AT-ST kits should the Legion models not be as good.

I like the Disney Store AT-ATs and the Hot Wheels AT-STs and Snowspeeders.

3 hours ago, tedshinn said:

I want AT-ATs! I really wanted them in X-Wing scale, with playability as an X-Wing ground game.

Bottom line, there are two games I want to play - the Battle of Hoth (and sure Scarif too) and Star Wars Battlefront the board and/or the mini game. Yes I am talking about the EA game featuring Walker Assault mode -- So you have a bunch of infantry/vehicles fighting over communication nodes in order to call in bombing on the invincible AT-ATs as they plod toward the objective. Once a com node is successfully held by the Rebels, the AT-ATs are ion bombed which opens them up to take damage. Now, the Imps must defend the Walkers while the Rebels must concentrate fire on the Walkers in order to bring them down for the limited time they are vulnerable. Now that's a fun cool game I want to play and it gives us SW Battlefront the Board/mini game.

For Hoth, different set of rules, AT-ATs Vs snowspeeders. AT-ATs plod and speeders zip all over the place. Someone posted a great idea that you have the speeders move then shoot and move again. This can be advantageous, but can also make them overshoot into the Walker's firing arcs. Add in the infantry, turrets, and vehicles and you have a fantastic game.

Come on FFG, WE WANT AT-ATs!

I really wanted to set down my three Imperial AT-ATs as my core fighting force with a vanguard of two AT-ST walkers, with some infantry ready to react and screen for my walkers. I'd try to flush Rebel infantry out of cover with the heavy AT-AT guns, keeping my AT-STs clear of the Rebel vanguard troopers hiding there to prevent easy kills on my walkers. Once my troopers troopers engaged with the Rebel infantry we could push forward and knock out the base the Rebels are protecting for their objective...

Until the Rebels deploy a couple of X-Wings to fly in and start torpedo-bombing my heavy armor.

Then it's a race to see if my AT-STs can shoot down the aircraft before they can take down one my walkers, or if the one TIE Fighter in my list can keep them occupied so I can finish the objective before the game time runs out.

Meanwhile the Infantry battle is up in the air because my opponents have a Wookie unit that commits and starts taking apart my troopers. Since I didn't by Vader to attach to them, it'll be over sooner than I wanted it to be. Then I might have to push my AT-STs to fire grenades into the cover and suppress the enemy infantry so my troopers aren't overwhelmed.

That is what I wanted. That is what I still want. This Experience is what Star Wars needs to let us re-create the Galactic Civil War in its entirety.

Legion is very obviously FFG saying, "let's adjust Imperial Assault to make it compete with 40K because we're not friends with Games Workshop anymore." I get it. I might even like it because it omits the charts, tables, and tape measures you need to play 40K. But it's not what I've been craving in a Star Wars ground battle game since Armada was announced. And if this is FFG's one attempt at doing large-scale ground battles, we will never have that experience I wanted created by FFG... because Huge walkers, large aircraft flight distances... are too big to fit on the table size suggested by Legion. Not without pushing the bounds of practicality.

26 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

I really wanted to set down my three Imperial AT-ATs as my core fighting force with a vanguard of two AT-ST walkers, with some infantry ready to react and screen for my walkers. I'd try to flush Rebel infantry out of cover with the heavy AT-AT guns, keeping my AT-STs clear of the Rebel vanguard troopers hiding there to prevent easy kills on my walkers. Once my troopers troopers engaged with the Rebel infantry we could push forward and knock out the base the Rebels are protecting for their objective...

Until the Rebels deploy a couple of X-Wings to fly in and start torpedo-bombing my heavy armor.

Then it's a race to see if my AT-STs can shoot down the aircraft before they can take down one my walkers, or if the one TIE Fighter in my list can keep them occupied so I can finish the objective before the game time runs out.

Meanwhile the Infantry battle is up in the air because my opponents have a Wookie unit that commits and starts taking apart my troopers. Since I didn't by Vader to attach to them, it'll be over sooner than I wanted it to be. Then I might have to push my AT-STs to fire grenades into the cover and suppress the enemy infantry so my troopers aren't overwhelmed.

That is what I wanted. That is what I still want. This Experience is what Star Wars needs to let us re-create the Galactic Civil War in its entirety.

Legion is very obviously FFG saying, "let's adjust Imperial Assault to make it compete with 40K because we're not friends with Games Workshop anymore." I get it. I might even like it because it omits the charts, tables, and tape measures you need to play 40K. But it's not what I've been craving in a Star Wars ground battle game since Armada was announced. And if this is FFG's one attempt at doing large-scale ground battles, we will never have that experience I wanted created by FFG... because Huge walkers, large aircraft flight distances... are too big to fit on the table size suggested by Legion. Not without pushing the bounds of practicality.

Spot on! This is the game we want - the remaining itch that needs to be scratched. Cudos to FFG for giving us dog fights in X-Wing, Fleet Battles in Armada, skirmish/campagn squad fights in IA, the Rebellion Board Game which is awesome, and heck, this Legion Game looks good, but not the game I was really hoping for. Maybe one day

Edited by tedshinn
13 hours ago, Tommy Blunderbuss said:

Though not exactly to scale.....

DSC9857-featured.jpg.5efa23456c14b451572cee14909eb772.jpg

.....I don't think that will matter in the heat of battle. Can't wait to pick this up once Legion is released. Best part, it's a snap fit easy kit that comes prepainted.

Revell also do a Millennium Falcon. Might consider it for escape from Tatooine, Hoth and Bespin type scenarios.

And this is 1/48? Cool! I have an ancient one I used to run with WEG miniatures.

That looks a lot closer to 1/72 (15mm).

Yeah, looks too small for 1/48, which is actually bigger than Legions scale.

15 minutes ago, Raging Celt said:

And this is 1/48? Cool! I have an ancient one I used to run with WEG miniatures.

It's smaller.

I'd done a search for 1/48 Star Wars models and this topped the list. But from the photo I don't think I'd mind the size. It'd still make an impressive objective.

5 minutes ago, Manchu said:

That looks a lot closer to 1/72 (15mm).

I think it is 1/72 which is about 20mm

3 minutes ago, Extropia said:

Yeah, looks too small for 1/48, which is actually bigger than Legions scale.

Maybe that's why it looks ok for using