Of FFG. How could you fail so hard?

By danrimo, in Star Wars: Legion

You had the opportunity to sell the same miniatures to customers playing two different games - IA and this. All you had to do was put cards for both in the box.

You had the chance to instantly create a Legion community from IA players, and revitalise the IA community too.

And yet you did this. You changed the scale so that the games are not compatible, alienating both communities. I cannot comprehend this stupidity.

I was sooooo excited when I first saw the news. Now?

I honestly cannot believe it. I am stunned.

1 hour ago, danrimo said:

You had the opportunity to sell the same miniatures to customers playing two different games - IA and this. All you had to do was put cards for both in the box.

You had the chance to instantly create a Legion community from IA players, and revitalise the IA community too.

And yet you did this. You changed the scale so that the games are not compatible, alienating both communities. I cannot comprehend this stupidity.

I think this is the best way to sum up my feelings on the topic. They could also release card boxes for cross compatibility to double down on their profits if they didn't want to give out cards with both games.

This is definitely a lost sale from me. But here's hoping that someone local is ok with converted IA minis and has an extra set of maneuver tools!

I'm waiting to see the scales on these. If they're the same size as IA, it's tempting to pick up some just for the different poses to add some variety...

Sadly, about all we've seen are two Heroes, that we have IA specific minis for, and a bunch of basic rebel troopers and Stormtroopers. And honestly, Stormtroopers are not something I actually need more of; If I get my hands on the IA Stormtrooper booster, I'll already have more than I can use, so getting some of THOSE just for the poses, would be decadent.

That said, if they had something like ISB agents, we get lots of cards with those but only one set of minis. Could always sub in minis there.

4 minutes ago, Enjeryuu said:

I'm waiting to see the scales on these. If they're the same size as IA, it's tempting to pick up some just for the different poses to add some variety...

Sadly, about all we've seen are two Heroes, that we have IA specific minis for, and a bunch of basic rebel troopers and Stormtroopers. And honestly, Stormtroopers are not something I actually need more of; If I get my hands on the IA Stormtrooper booster, I'll already have more than I can use, so getting some of THOSE just for the poses, would be decadent.

That said, if they had something like ISB agents, we get lots of cards with those but only one set of minis. Could always sub in minis there.

There's pictures elsewhere showing that, the Skywalker, at least, is distinctly bigger.

Oh, I hadn't seen that. Bigger... okay, that doesn't even make sense. Shouldn't a wargame like this be designed for a larger battlefield? =/

Legion will probably be played on a 6x3 or 6x4, like most wargames in this scale.

2 hours ago, danrimo said:

Why on earth would FFG do that? They release a new game, they want you to BUY it, not repurpose your old minis for their new game. They are a business there to make money.

I can't believe there's yet another thread whining about this. Can't we keep all the whining contained to one single thread, instead of everyone feeling they need to post their own? Srsly.

If Legion miniatures were cross-compatible with Imperial Assault, with pack-in upgrade cards, then Hasbro would gain the rights to distribution, FFG would lose the rights to direct sales, and Legion would be unsustainable. I firmly believe FFG are not in business to make Hasbro more money, so that pipe dream sailed abut 3 years ago.

Holy moly - is it true that FFG cannot sell Rebellion direct? And that Hasbro controls distribution for IA and Rebellion?

There's still time for them to change course a little bit here. As some have pointed out, Imperial Assault itself has been experiencing scale creep as expansions keep coming out. IA was FFG's first bite at the apple with 32mm figures, they may have realized those initial designs were still a little too timid and unheroic. It will be better to judge once you can see many different models compared.

Obviously, it's a bad business decision, they may want you to buy more models, but I'm sure McDonalds would love to charge $500 for a Big Mac instead of $5, 'cause then they'd make way more money, right?!? They'll sell fewer starter sets by not creating compatibility between the two games not more. Though then again, they'd make more money ultimately selling Runewars minis at $1.50 each to somebody, than $3 each to nobody, so FFG's thinking in this field could be clouded.

My god, this is only day one! Everyone needs to enjoy a huge dose of oxygen! Wax on wax off. It's all good.

2 hours ago, Teloch said:

Why on earth would FFG do that? They release a new game, they want you to BUY it, not repurpose your old minis for their new game. They are a business there to make money.

they make plenty of our money. personally i'll stop spending mine if they dont improve the playability to cost ratio of their merchandise. X-wing taught me a lot about how greedy FFG is... and my guess is this game is designed to replace I.A. so they can sell all the same characters again. if you buy this game, imperial assault, x-wing, and armada, and buy one of each item, you will currently spend almost 4,000 dollars. if you buy multiples of items for x-wing swarms or I.A. skirmish lists, that will be a lot more. isnt that enough money grubbing to let 2 games share a scale?

1 hour ago, Manchu said:

Holy moly - is it true that FFG cannot sell Rebellion direct? And that Hasbro controls distribution for IA and Rebellion?

it's true.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-rebellion/

click the price bar where it says "Not Available" and it will tell you the item is not available through the FFG webstore. Same is true for all IA product.

That's insane!

42 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

if you buy this game, imperial assault, x-wing, and armada, and buy one of each item, you will currently spend almost 4,000 dollars.

Dear God...

WHAT HAVE I DONE ? :o

QS =D

"One of each ..."

Hahahahahahaha ...

1 hour ago, Vontoothskie said:

they make plenty of our money. personally i'll stop spending mine if they dont improve the playability to cost ratio of their merchandise. X-wing taught me a lot about how greedy FFG is... and my guess is this game is designed to replace I.A. so they can sell all the same characters again. if you buy this game, imperial assault, x-wing, and armada, and buy one of each item, you will currently spend almost 4,000 dollars. if you buy multiples of items for x-wing swarms or I.A. skirmish lists, that will be a lot more. isnt that enough money grubbing to let 2 games share a scale?

I said this in another thread, but it applies perfectly here too.

all I hear is "wah wah wah, I want this new game that FFG have spend a huge amount of time and money developing but I don't want to spend any money on it."

1 hour ago, Vontoothskie said:

Yes, how dare a company make a profit! How dare they expect people to buy each game separately! They should give it out for free, comrade! Their employees should work for free, their payment knowing that you did not have to spend your money! Ura! Ura! Ura!

Yes, what a fail... Legion is generating more hype then I think the internet can bare. Upon its release it might actually go straight to the top becoming the most played miniature game out there.

Even die hard 40k fans seem to be watching this with interest.

So much fail...

I don't know why I chose this thread to respond to, but anyway. Nobody seems to have mentioned the material used. They seem to have switched to a harder plastic than Imperial Assault. It very well could be that they needed larger models in order to get the desired amount of detail, and to prevent elements such as hero lightsabers from being too brittle. And even if it were the same scale as Imperial Assault, the new material means they'd have little interest in making them cross-compatible.

Was there some announcement about the material?

I'm not sure eyeballing painted figs is a good way to judge whether they are made of harder plastic.

Why did Ford release a whole new car instead of just releasing new engines and tires? They're alienating all their previous customers!

This is the exact same conversation that happened when GW produced the Lord of the Rings range in a difference scale to Warhammer and 40k - everyone complained and was sure it wouldn't work.

But it did, for many many years. Admittedly it was for two distinct settings, but the flow of these threads is identical.

2 hours ago, Manchu said:

Was there some announcement about the material?

I'm not sure eyeballing painted figs is a good way to judge whether they are made of harder plastic.

The Sorastro painting video shows him taking a file to some of the mold lines. Files generally don't work so well on softer plastic, they tend to shred detail and the material tends to flake off with blunt friction.

Edited by player1750031