Should have been named star wars: squad

By koraldon, in Star Wars: Legion

On 19.8.2017 at 4:03 AM, Kentucky Fried Ewok said:

Yes, I was excited for large fleets of 20+ Imperial Star Destroyers plus supporting ships and fighters against a similar force of Rebels with the models on a smaller scale with a simplier gaming mechanic.

I'm not saying Armada is a bad game, I quite like it and the models, but the forces in the game are in my mind don't constitute a "Armada".

So you want to replay Endor over and over again? Because thats the only battle in the Civil War, that saw such action (new canon wise). The "Rebels" never used a force that you described beside Endor, and there only out of desparation and on the hight of power as the "Rebel Alliance". While the new canon has some large battles too, its already the "Republic" not the Rebellion anymore.

On 20.8.2017 at 4:31 AM, Ghostofman said:

Pretty sure that was the plan.

Considering how 40k is suffering currently due to expensive everything, edition change grumpies, and multiple repeating pr missteps over the years, it's not like they aren't ripe for some poaching.

That's probably the whole idea. My 40k table, terrain, carrying cases, modeling and painting supplies are all still usable.

Additionally most available off the shelf terrain is roughly at the 28mm scale. Yes 15mm is available, but it tends to lean more historical. So less open support for sci-fi at that scale.

You seem to have missed the 8th Edition of 40k.

4 hours ago, DScipio said:

You seem to have missed the 8th Edition of 40k.

Which part, the still high pricing, or the consolidated army books that will just be replaced asap the moment GW profits look like they'll be lower than the previous year?

Don't get me wrong, GW makes a good product, and does seem to be trying to improve things among the player base, but they seem to have a questionable sustainable cycle going among the players. It's not just the current regime, they were set up for this mess years ago, but it doesn't change the current problem to be able to explain it....

Just now, Ghostofman said:

Don't get me wrong, GW makes a good product, and does seem to be trying to improve things among the player base, but they seem to have a questionable sustainable cycle going among the players.

I think having a company stay on the market for over 40 years and growing into an internationally recognisable brand has already proven that whatever they're doing is in fact sustainable.

46 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

Which part, the still high pricing, or the consolidated army books that will just be replaced asap the moment GW profits look like they'll be lower than the previous year?

8th Edition sells like crazy and is widely applauded.

43 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

I think having a company stay on the market for over 40 years and growing into an internationally recognisable brand has already proven that whatever they're doing is in fact sustainable.

GW never had much competition and they were the biggest fish in a small pond. FFG has the inferior product regarding plastics and detail for the minis. But they write better rules and have the superior design of Lucas and the superior fluff. 40K 8th edition is worse than precursor rules and is likely to get worse with every new codex breaking up what coherency and balance they tried to achieve with the new edition - a process they demonstrated with most prior editions.

Okay, if you say a process that has been working for 40 years isn't working, who am I to argue.

12 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

Okay, if you say a process that has been working for 40 years isn't working, who am I to argue.

It has been working smoothly - but that is no guarantee for the future. Now GW and FFG are competing for exactly the same niche and I have no doubt that FFG will get a sizable chunk of the market. Besides, commercial success and a good product are different things.

38 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

It hasn't been working for 40 years. As of a year or two ago GW was in serious trouble and given the direction they were still going would've likely been out of business in 3-5 years. AoS and 8th edition has reversed their decline but we have yet to see that it will stay that way. When they start charging $35 for a single model I'm not so sure that the bump from 8th will be enough.