Should have been named star wars: squad

By koraldon, in Star Wars: Legion

6 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

And is Darth Vader supposed to represent 33 Sith Lords running around on the battlefield? Is Luke representing a few dozen whiny farm boys turned Jedi Knights? What about the hills and buildings and trees the models are hiding behind? Does each building represent a small village? Each tree a grove?

No. Nice try and I applaud your efforts but... no. It's clear that this game is designed to be a skirmish game, not a large-scale ground conflict. There's no way around it.

And sorry, I just... well, I'm disappointed. This is not the game I was hoping for. I wanted a game with AT-ATs supported with AT-STs and speeder bikes and dozens of storm troopers bearing down on entrenched rebel soldiers, with air speeders zipping around the battlefield and etc etc etc, but it's clear that most of that is not going to be feasible in a game this scale.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who will buy Legion and love it and continue to invest in it and will be happy with it- I'm just... not one of them.

So this is me, signing off. If you need me you can find me back over in the X-Wing forums and occasionally in the Armada forums. To everyone sticking around here: I hope Legion lives up to all of your expectations and that you all have a blast playing it.

May the force be with you, always.

I was just fooling around. I agree with you, I would have preferred the larger scale, strategic kind of game you described.

1 hour ago, Herowannabe said:

That's the point. Yes it is a big squad , but it is nowhere near a legion . It's barely a fraction.

Fair. Let's call it "Star Wars: A Handful of Platoons"

And the expansions can be "A Few Platoons More" and "The Good, The Bad, nd The Scum."

I suspect that 1000 point game is including both sides. Like saying Armada battles are 800 points.

And it will likely ramp up over time. Upon release, what you see in the box is likely 400 points per side of troops with a little flexibility. Then they'll have a wave 1 and leave it at 400 for tournaments. Once wave 2 hits, they'll bump the team size to 500.

I don't care for the scale of combat in Legion. I'm hoping that this is just the X-wing to something greater later on, but with a title like Legion I kind of doubt it.

I'm planning on buying in. I used to love Star Wars Miniatures, and to me this seems like a good replacement.

6 minutes ago, kmanweiss said:

I suspect that 1000 point game is including both sides. Like saying Armada battles are 800 points.

I've never seen anyone refer to it like that, either casually or officially straight from FFG. It's always 400 points or 100 points in the case of X-Wing. 1000 doesn't seem too far fetched considering the prices on Vader and the rebel walker. Who knows, maybe for once FFG will acknowledge more than just like 1 or 2 points limits.

• Vader is 200 pts
  • 2x Speeder Bikes for 90 pts
  • 4x Storm Troopers for 44 pts

so about 444 for the Empire before non-reinforcement upgrade cards

• Luke is 160 pts
  • AT-RT is 55 pts
  • 4x Rebel Troope4s for 40 pts

and 355 for Rebels - keep in mind, AT-RT laser canon upgrade is 35 pts alone

if standard games are 1000 pts, I very much doubt that is 1000 pts counting both sides!

Oh look, people getting hung up over nouns.

It must be a day that ends in, "Shut up!"

In IA, you can theoretically get 6 groups of 3 stormies and 2 officers for a total of 20 units!

What is the count in this game? 44 points for 4 or 1 stormy?

Edited by Amraam01

With how smooth the gameplay seem to flow with this, especially the movement system, this game will easily handle 10+ units. Mass battles won't be difficult to arrange and probably won't take more then a few hours to finish.

3 minutes ago, Amraam01 said:

What is the count in this game? 44 points for 4 or 1 stormy?

44 for 4 and 11 for each reinforcement. Not sure what the reinforcement limit is, probably based on limit of upgrades on basic 4-man unit.

EDIT: Guess I should also note that 11-pt upgrade card is for one additional storm trooper with E-11. You can see there are stormies with 2 other kinds of weapons in the core set. Such reinforcements likely cost more tha 11 pts!

Edited by Manchu
3 minutes ago, Manchu said:

44 for 4 and 11 for each reinforcement. Not sure what the reinforcement limit is, probably based on limit of upgrades on basic 4-man unit.

Cool so in theory you can bring 90 stormtroopers at 1000 points? Cant believe they didnt include ATATs and speeders in the scope.

Edited by Amraam01

Hmm...I guess additional troopers are added as upgrade cards. I don't know what each symbol accounts for but its likely you can add maybe 3-4 troopers at most, among them those armed with special weapons.

Not sure if that is a sound theory.

You seem to need commanders in Legion and they are expensive (Luke = 160, Vader = 200). Additionally, there may be a limit on how many storm troopers can join the basic 4-man squad; if there is also a limit on how many core squads you can take, that would cut into the overall maximum number of storm troopers you could take at 1000 pts, too.

The symbol at the bottom left of the Stormtrooper upgrade card appears one time on the left side of the Stormtrooper unit card. Stands to reason that means that the Stormtrooper unit can take the Stormtrooper upgrade card once. The unit card also has a symbol that looks like it could mean "heavy trooper" - so that could mean your Stormtrooper unit can have up to six members, including NCO, SAW, and 4x troopers with E-11s.

Edited by Manchu

There is also an upgrade card shown, "Long range com links" which allows a unit to be commanded even if its not within range of the commander. This symbol isn't present on the stormtrooper or rebel trooper cards though so either its a "generic" upgrade that everyone can take or these unit simply cannot take them.

That icon is present on both of the AT-RT and Speeder Bikes unit cards.

Watching a demo from general games, seems to have peaked my interest at least. Kinda of a IA and Runewars evolution.

10 minutes ago, Manchu said:

That icon is present on both of the AT-RT and Speeder Bikes unit cards.

Oh nice, the less upgrades cluttering the units the better so I'm glad if there are no generic upgrades!

It is the only upgrade icon the Speeder Bikes have. The AT-RT has one further icon, which corresponds to its laser canon upgrade. (Basic AT-RT has tough melee attack but ranged attack is just the A-300 blaster rifle carried by driver.)

Edited by Manchu

Full games will be 800 points per side, not 1000. There is also 1600 point per side games. Both played on a 6x3. You have to have a commander in your army.

While the semantics in this thread are amusing (though a bit bewildering) the point system will be the more curious aspects of this game. I wonder how tournaments will play out and just how much the dice are stacked against the Imperial troopies.

5 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

Full games will be 800 points per side, not 1000. There is also 1600 point per side games. Both played on a 6x3. You have to have a commander in your army.

Where did you get this information from? Beasts of War have been told during their private demo session that the official army size is 1,000 pts.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/star-wars-legion/coming-tabletop-ffg/

When is the release date speculation? My guess is April-May next year if we follow the Runewars precedent.

9 hours ago, Manchu said:

And the expansions can be "A Few Platoons More" and "The Good, The Bad, nd The Scum."

Only if there is a heroe called Blondie in the last expansion :P