There is no offical comment on figure scale yet! Quit panicking,

By DiggityDug, in Star Wars: Legion

56 minutes ago, feydruatha said:

Money....is there any other reason? I can go into more detail if you don't understand.

If it's just a money grab that is such a GW move.

Many players have spent so much time painting up their Imperial Assault figures. It's really disrespectful to think they need to do it all over again. Some people are really pressed for free time. Argghhh. So annoyed.

By making this system incompatible is really going to limit the player base.

2 hours ago, Manchu said:

I bought tons of IA. I didn't like the game and sold it off. But I don't really see the issue here. Your IA miniatures are not suddenly useless. Didn't you buy them to play IA, after all, rather than Legion? How did you guys know Legion was coming out?

If you want to use IA figs in Legion and you aren't playing in an official tournament, what's to stop you.

What a weird, weird thing to be upset about.

Hey, that's fair enough, and I totally get that.

Knight models did an interesting thing recently. They publish the Batman Miniatures Game (BMG) and have loads and loads of models out for it (it's been out for about 5 years).

Late last year they released a DC Universe Miniatures game (DCUMG). The models were the same scale, but the game had different rules based more on super-powered people like Wonder Woman or Superman, which didn't fit in rules wise with the Batman game.

What they did, though, was give stat cards for a bunch of Batman Miniature Game models at the back of their DCUMG pdf rules.

This meant that if you bought into the DCUMG and had a load of BMG miniatures already, you suddenly had a better choice of what characters to play from day one.

Later, they created a 'Multiverse' line. This would be for characters that could be played in DCUMG *and* BMG - you got one model in the pack, and two stat cards, one for each game.

More recently, they've started re-releasing old BMG models under the 'multiverse' label which means you get the BMG stat card and an official DCUMG stat card (rather than a printed out version from the rulebook).

It's a very nice system and just feels more consumer friendly both financially and time-wise. Rather than buy the Legion core set and and extra expansion of Stormtroopers, I could buy the core set and use my stormtroopers from IA (which also are already painted at this point).

So yeah, I have nothing against the game. It looks fab. I might pick it up. But I'm put off a bit by the scale difference when it really doesn't seem warranted from a consumer point of view. It'll cost me more, and I'll end up painting even more stormtroopers than I might otherwise need to!

Just my initial reaction ;)

QS =D

While I would have preferred the models to be the same scale, I can understand why FFG have chosen as they did (though Knight Models are certainly more friendly to their customer base). FFGhave had a good track record in this regard, so I find it odd that they have changed the scale for this line.

I'd use my IA figures non-tournament anyway. So some models are slightly smaller. Who cares? That rebel trooper is just short. So is that non-clone storm trooper. As for named models, I'd use the L Luke over the IA Luke anyway. And if there's no L model for a named character, but an IA model? "That's Diala Passil? I thought she'd be taller". "I get that a lot..."

Yep, if IA storm troopers are exactly the same size as Legion storm troopers - hey bonus! Sprinkles on top of the icing on the cake, really.

But hey, sprinkles need not be make or break.

I don't care, I'll go to my game store later today and make a pre-order and forget about it all. Then when the game comes out I'll play a few games with my friends. If there is interest and we play games of it more than once or twice I'll buy more. If not I'll shelve it and play something else.

my time spent painting is not sprinkles.

barrier to entry with a miniatures game is pretty huge. they lose a major opportunity and compete with themselves. it's ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Yep, if IA storm troopers are exactly the same size as Legion storm troopers - hey bonus! Sprinkles on top of the icing on the cake, really.

Let me be clear, I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, and I respect your opinion. Like I said, I think the game looks fab.

I guess I see it more like:

IA = Ham

Legion = Bread

I can have either and be very happy. But if I combine them I get a sandwich ;)

Anyway, no need for me to labor the point! Be well!

*eats sandwich*

QS =D

EDIT: reading this back, I'm not sure this makes sense. I must be tired. Or hungry. Or both :o

Edited by quantumsheep

I think you are saying, these product lines could synergize. That is a natural first impression. But beyond the fig scale, there isn't a lot of potability. Your example of the DC line from Knight is essentially several editions of the same game. Between Legion and IA, we're talking about completely different games along pretty much every axis, apart from the superficial ones like using minis and having the usual FFG emphais on tokens, cards, and proprietary dice and. easurment tools.

7 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

my time spent painting is not sprinkles

flag on the field, misuse of analogy

the potential cross-compatability of components for unrelated games is a potential bonus, and has nothing to do with whether you decided to paint components for one of the games

your barrier to enrty point - well is painting the barrier? because you have demonstrated ability and desire to paint miniatures, so this would not be a barrier for you to other miniatures games, right?

1 hour ago, feydruatha said:

Money....is there any other reason? I can go into more detail if you don't understand.

To true if I wasn't disappointed in the scale I would be laughing but off at that retort

I have very little time to paint and more minis than I can paint already.

if Legion had used the miniatures I already painted I could play legion. maybe even find time to paint a few things just for legion.

as it does not use those miniatures I therefor can not play legion.

does that make sense? it's ok if it doesn't, I don't have anything more to say anyway.

For now, there doesnt seem to be any reason why you could not use IA figs in friendly games of Legion.

3 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

There's a picture ... linked in in one of these threads here ... of Legion Luke and IA Luke side by side with similar bases. Legion Luke is clearly larger.

Edit:

uvcXi4o.jpg

Amazing how that little adjust in size adds more detail like that.

Sorastro's painting of course makes great use of it, too.

Cheers!

5 minutes ago, Manchu said:

For now, there doesnt seem to be any reason why you could not use IA figs in friendly games of Legion.

most of my 1v1 play time is spent in game stores in leagues or events.

I am on the boat of wanting to use the IA miniatures, i dont really want to buy more Troopers, Luke's miniature however is freaking good even for IA.

I will definitely at least friendly use IA miniatures to play legion.

But a thing i want other people to look at also is, isnt vader even bigger than luke? Thats what it looks like to me in the photos, like a couple mm. And doesnt the troopers look like smaller than them both?

3 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

most of my 1v1 play time is spent in game stores in leagues or events.

Then you are probably already aware that FFG organized play can be quite strict about using the official components for the specific game.

The Legion models look pretty nice, but they aren't as good as a lot of the stuff on Kickstarter. Vader's helmet looks wrong, in particular the mouth area only has two vertical bars instead of four. Pretty obvious mistake. Luke looks pretty good with a lot of detail, but to be honest, his head looks a little oversized. The Troopers all look great and the Speeder Bikes are exciting.

That said, I suspect these models will fit it just fine with IA and vice-versa. Most miniature games have scale issues (see WHF, Hobbit SBG, Knight Models DC/Marvel Universe, etc). I wouldn't get my undies in a bunch over minor size differences. The IA Luke is too small anyway.

But, I have to agree with many here, that this game seems unnecessary given IA and I was really expecting a 10-15mm scale game with a large number of troops (Total War style). Disappointing that FFG went this route.

2 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Then you are probably already aware that FFG organized play can be quite strict about using the official components for the specific game.

May be they make it legal, as it is official components purchased to FFG, but not from that game. Just may be. And may be if enough people claim that they do not want to buy and paint more troopers they change their mind if they didnt want it initially. This is why usually companies want feedback rather than well that is what we have get it or leave it because at some point everybody will leave it and they wont even know why.

5 hours ago, OddballE8 said:

Well, either way it's too late to change anything now for FFG.

Most likely the molds have already been made and production has started.

That said, if they are NOT the same (or VERY close, like 1-2mm off) scale, they are going to lose out on a lot of customers who already own Imperial Assault.

I, for one, will only buy this if it fits with the IA line.
If it doesn't, I'll simply skip this as I don't look forward to buying a whole new "army" of figures.

(TBH, this is the equivalent of if GW suddenly changed ALL their minis size from 28mm to 35mm over night, rendering all the players old armies useless.)

No its not as if GW just all of a sudden changed scale. This is a table top game IA is a board game. Completely different.

1 hour ago, Frobozz said:

The Legion models look pretty nice, but they aren't as good as a lot of the stuff on Kickstarter. Vader's helmet looks wrong, in particular the mouth area only has two vertical bars instead of four. Pretty obvious mistake. Luke looks pretty good with a lot of detail, but to be honest, his head looks a little oversized. The Troopers all look great and the Speeder Bikes are exciting.

That said, I suspect these models will fit it just fine with IA and vice-versa. Most miniature games have scale issues (see WHF, Hobbit SBG, Knight Models DC/Marvel Universe, etc). I wouldn't get my undies in a bunch over minor size differences. The IA Luke is too small anyway.

But, I have to agree with many here, that this game seems unnecessary given IA and I was really expecting a 10-15mm scale game with a large number of troops (Total War style). Disappointing that FFG went this route.

Completely different game as obvious and fairly different target demo. So not unnecassary.

17 hours ago, Manchu said:

Else one can always say ,when someone uses IA figures in a Legion game:

Aren't those figures not a bit small for stormtroopers in Legion?

:P :P :P

22 hours ago, patox said:

i really don't understand why they couldn't have made IA and Legion the exact same scale.

They want to tell people who've already bought & painted IA mini's that they have to buy & paint the same minis all over again to play Legion.

On 8/19/2017 at 3:48 AM, Tirion said:

No its not as if GW just all of a sudden changed scale. This is a table top game IA is a board game. Completely different.

IA has tabletop rules included.

So... not really?

On 8/18/2017 at 0:47 PM, Hawkstrike said:

Guys! I think we are just completely missing something. The miniatures ARE the same scale, fantasy flight is just making a "Bigger Luke" miniature.

2 hours ago, taintedcereal said:

Guys! I think we are just completely missing something. The miniatures ARE the same scale, fantasy flight is just making a "Bigger Luke" miniature.

Amazing. This made my day.