There is no offical comment on figure scale yet! Quit panicking,

By DiggityDug, in Star Wars: Legion

[Editors Note: Hey guys, OP here. I would like to take a moment to say. I was wrong. Yep! Was completely wrong. There is a difference in scale, and its actually quite noticeable. I thought that instead of just deleting my thread and pretending the below never happened, I would instead own up to my own incorrectness. Please stand by as I expect the Internet will probably implode.]

Geeze guys,

Everyine is flipping out about scale and people are saying "these figures are out of scale from imperial assault! Its a slap in the face! Im boycotting the game!

for the record THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF THIS," The only scale comparison between Legion and Imperial Assault is a mockup made from screenshots based off the painting video. And in that comparison the scales are pretty darn close! The varriation appears to be due to base thickness.

still we just dont know... so everyine take deep breaths and chill...

Edited by DiggityDug

There's a picture ... linked in in one of these threads here ... of Legion Luke and IA Luke side by side with similar bases. Legion Luke is clearly larger.

Edit:

uvcXi4o.jpg

Edited by Hawkstrike

Well, either way it's too late to change anything now for FFG.

Most likely the molds have already been made and production has started.

That said, if they are NOT the same (or VERY close, like 1-2mm off) scale, they are going to lose out on a lot of customers who already own Imperial Assault.

I, for one, will only buy this if it fits with the IA line.
If it doesn't, I'll simply skip this as I don't look forward to buying a whole new "army" of figures.

(TBH, this is the equivalent of if GW suddenly changed ALL their minis size from 28mm to 35mm over night, rendering all the players old armies useless.)

Not that different from Descent and Runewars, where the latter was a bit bigger but people still wanted conversion kits. People will buy the new stuff just fine. IA will need that app to stay relevant.

6 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

There's a picture ... linked in in one of these threads here ... of Legion Luke and IA Luke side by side with similar bases. Legion Luke is clearly larger.

Edit:

uvcXi4o.jpg

Aaaw look! It's adult Luke and his 12 year old (unknown) brother.

Yeah, that looks discouraging... especially if you take into account that IA Luke is actually standing on a raised platform on that picture.

Just now, Mep said:

People will buy the new stuff just fine.

I wont.

They have added an extra plastic base to IA Luke in the photo as well.

Just now, CADmonkey said:

I wont.

Me neither.

4 minutes ago, Mep said:

Not that different from Descent and Runewars, where the latter was a bit bigger but people still wanted conversion kits. People will buy the new stuff just fine. IA will need that app to stay relevant.

Certainly if you want to play both you'll want a conversion kit, but if you're not sure, a second collection of the same minis 3mm bigger, it's such a "meh" proposition. Descent made me realize I never want to buy true scale 28mm minis again, they don't match at all with the rest of my collection.

22 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

Edit:

uvcXi4o.jpg

The caveat being that this particular Luke sculpt is on the smallish side of IA. Honestly, he's barely in scale with the other, newer IA miniatures.

Realistically, you will always use the dedicated Legion sculpts for heroes, because you will buy them for the cards. The only thing you can do with IA models is to pad out your generic rank-and-file units like Stormtroopers. For that, provided you base Legion troops on slimmer bases or boost up IA troops with an extra base unerneath the origianl one, they should blend in fine and the scale difference won't be noticeable during play.

Edited by player1750031
12 minutes ago, CADmonkey said:

I wont.

I certainly won't either.

And I suspect that quite a few potential customers will be put off by this.

You see, what FFG is missing here is the fact that many people have bought pretty much every piece of IA minis out there.
That means that not only do they already have a pretty big army, but they have also spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on that game already.
Making them buy new minis again will definately turn many off.

1 minute ago, OddballE8 said:

I certainly won't either.

And I suspect that quite a few potential customers will be put off by this.

You see, what FFG is missing here is the fact that many people have bought pretty much every piece of IA minis out there.
That means that not only do they already have a pretty big army, but they have also spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on that game already.
Making them buy new minis again will definately turn many off.

and don't forget invest in the time of painting all of them.

I've only painted my regular stormies so far.... I keep putting off my snows, ewebs...etc. because its starting to feel tedious.

19 minutes ago, OddballE8 said:

(TBH, this is the equivalent of if GW suddenly changed ALL their minis size from 28mm to 35mm over night, rendering all the players old armies useless.)

Is it better that they slowly did it over 30 years, just a few mm at a time, so you had to buy a bunch of 30 and 32mm versions of figures?

i really wanted something much smaller, I wanted AT-ATs and squads of troopers ala flames of war. The fact that it is bigger than IA is just crazy, why even do that? Why release a game that fills the same niche but is somehow mechanically less interesting with a much larger barrier to entry?

I wish them luck and hope they have success but I'll still hold out for something closer to a 10-15mm scale.

I bought tons of IA. I didn't like the game and sold it off. But I don't really see the issue here. Your IA miniatures are not suddenly useless. Didn't you buy them to play IA, after all, rather than Legion? How did you guys know Legion was coming out?

If you want to use IA figs in Legion and you aren't playing in an official tournament, what's to stop you.

What a weird, weird thing to be upset about.

7 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

Is it better that they slowly did it over 30 years, just a few mm at a time, so you had to buy a bunch of 30 and 32mm versions of figures?

It's better if they don't do it at all!

Why the **** do you assume it's inevetable?

Who is panicking?

"Oh my god, that bear is coming to eat me!!!" = Panicking

"Yikes, the quicksand is now up to my chest!!!" = Panicking

"I'm not buying a game if I have to paint up another 20 stormtroopers" = Not Panicking

It's a miniatures game. Most of your army is going to be storm troopers, if you are playing the Empire. So yeah, painting up more storm troopers will probably be a thing considering the nature of the game. What's the problem with that? I mean, unless you just don't like miniatures gaming?

44 minutes ago, Swusn said:

i really wanted something much smaller, I wanted AT-ATs and squads of troopers ala flames of war. The fact that it is bigger than IA is just crazy, why even do that? Why release a game that fills the same niche but is somehow mechanically less interesting with a much larger barrier to entry?

I wish them luck and hope they have success but I'll still hold out for something closer to a 10-15mm scale.

I'm with you on this. I was really hoping for a much smaller scale. I was expecting connected squads of figures and then vehicles. I wanted the squads of infantry to be like sort of like fighter squadrons in armada, but perhaps a little more important.

I'm not pulled to this one like most of the other FFG SW products.

5mm difference.

i really don't understand why they couldn't have made IA and Legion the exact same scale.

43 minutes ago, EastCoast said:

Who is panicking?

"Oh my god, that bear is coming to eat me!!!" = Panicking

"Yikes, the quicksand is now up to my chest!!!" = Panicking

"I'm not buying a game if I have to paint up another 20 stormtroopers" = Not Panicking

I would like to take a moment to say, that as a child of the 80s. I thought quicksand was going to be a much bigger problem than it is. I mean, the Six Million Dollar man got stuck in quick sand, so did the Duke brothers, so did Batman and Robin, Gilligans Island, Scooby Do, and The Fall Guy. It was ALL OVER TV in my youth. When we walked through the woods as kids. WE LOOKED OUT FOR QUICKSAND!

Turns out it doesn't even exist. There is no such thing as quicksand. Its usually just a bog, or watery sand that is a few inches deep.

So disappointed.

19 minutes ago, patox said:

i really don't understand why they couldn't have made IA and Legion the exact same scale.

Money....is there any other reason? I can go into more detail if you don't understand.

2 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

Edit:

uvcXi4o.jpg

I'm glad FFG has finally acknowledged THE TRUTH

http://biggerluke.wikidot.com/bigger-luke

1 hour ago, patox said:

WOTC minis were a bit smaller than IA, by making the LEGION figures just a bit bigger the IA figures wouldn't seem too out of place but the WOTC minis would look ridiculous.