Bug with "Prisoner of the Icespire" quest

By VolcanoMan, in Road to Legend

Hello,

Love Road to Legend app! My group has played it quite extensively.

Anyway, this may have been reported already, but there seems to be a couple of bugs/glitches [one minor, one major] in the "Prisoner of the Icespire" quest for the "Kindred Fire" campaign (or at the very least it could be improved slightly):

***SPOILER ALERT***

Road to Legend v1.3.1(318)
Campaign: Kindred Fire (although it might appear in other campaigns, being a side quest?)
Side Quest: Prisoner of the Icespire
Difficulty: Hard

1. The first bug is minor; when "Kindling" appears, it says to place ONE figure from the monster group, which represents the unique enemy named "Kindling" (the type of monster group varies). This is fine, however when you select to defeat the group, it keeps the monster group in the game, on the right side of the screen. To my knowledge, it doesn't do this with other unique enemies when you select "Defeat Group" it defeats them all. Either way, if you select "Defeat Unique" then it still keeps its parent monster group in the game.

This is very misleading and caused us to have to go back into the log to see if we missed somewhere where it said to place the entire group. I could not see this after looking through it several times, on several different plays of the quest. So, the result is confusion and you end up having to defeat the group again to get rid of it, but feeling uneasy while doing it, thinking that you made an error.

2. The second bug is more important, and kind of a quest breaker (or at least caused the entire group to get disgusted), and is the real reason I am taking the time to post this.

When Elzenar is placed, you also place four red objectives, which represent "silver pillars" that can be converted (into blue objectives) after testing lore and will attributes. At this point you are told that the objective is to defeat Elzenar. When you covert the red objective "silver pillars", for each you are told:

"The power of this pillar has been restored, and its icy tendrils arc down into Elzenar, sapping the demon of its strength ." (emphasis, mine)

This repeats for each of the four pillars you convert, which mind you is not easy to do with Elzenar in the room with his Aura 2 (increased by +1 as one of his unique perks, at least in Hard difficulty).

The bug/glitch seems to be that once you convert all four pillars, nothing happens . I mean, after all four pillars are converted no new message is given, no objectives change, and Elzenar is not affected in his activations, nor is his bonus health reduced, his bonus abilities removed (+1 Aura and +1 shields to all of his defense rolls). Also, you cannot interact with the pillar any further once converted, as we thought maybe we had to do something more to the pillars when nothing happened. Also, even if you win the quest, nothing is different. The end description is the exact same, you get the same exact amount of gold and the same fame as far as I can tell (I have gone through the quest about 5 times by saving it, and closing the app before it completes the quest, and went through it troubleshooting by gaming it out in different ways).

So, needless to say everyone was upset because we were all high fiving after efficiently moving through the map, barely killing Kindling and BARELY converting all the pillars on Act II on Hard, with Elzenar in the room. Then when we realized that nothing came from the trouble, we felt we should have just attacked him outright and so we felt mislead by the app.

Our suggestions of what to do when the pillars are converted:

IDEA 1:

Ideally it seems nice to reduce Elzenar's bonus hit points each time a pillar is converted, specifically by 1/4 (or just have all his bonus hit points removed when all four pillars are converted). Even better would be if his two bonus attributes (+1 Aura and +1 shields to all of his defense rolls) were removed if all four pillars are converted.

IDEA 2:
Elzenar doesn't actually lose his bonus health or bonus attributes when some/all pillars are converted, but will get automatically defeated (imprisoned again) if the heroes last X number of turns after all the pillars are converted (no more than +3 turns though!, and perhaps +2 is more realistic). However, some kind of additional text should appear explaining this, like the pillars are glowing and attempting to freeze Elzenar back into place, and that the heroes survive long enough for that to happen.

--------------------------

I prefer IDEA 1 myself, because it literally weakens him in a way that the player(s) can see, reducing him to a normal master minion that can be defeated easier. Make no mistake though, even if Elzenar is weakened with each pillar like this until he is essentially a normal master Demon Lord, it still wouldn't be easy to do because you the convert process is difficult, often causing damage, has to be done four times, and his Aura makes it difficult to move around in the room without taking 2 hits each time you move adjacent. At least it would be possible though, and better than how the quest currently works where the pillars seem to do nothing. :*(

Thanks for reading. Keep up the good work (can't wait for the Imperial Assault version of the app). ^_^

Edited by Volcano467

I haven't played this scenario myself, but it sounds like you might be missing this special rule:

Elzenar has bonus Health. For each red objective token, add 1 Shield to Elzenar's defense results and 1 to Elzenar's "Aura" value.

So effectively your idea 1 was kind of correct, except for the bonus health.

Edit: I think the bug might be, that this extra rule is not stated when placing Elzenar. I guess it will be displayed if you click on the monster information icon.

Edited by DerDelphi
20 hours ago, DerDelphi said:

I haven't played this scenario myself, but it sounds like you might be missing this special rule:

Elzenar has bonus Health. For each red objective token, add 1 Shield to Elzenar's defense results and 1 to Elzenar's "Aura" value.

So effectively your idea 1 was kind of correct, except for the bonus health.

Edit: I think the bug might be, that this extra rule is not stated when placing Elzenar. I guess it will be displayed if you click on the monster information icon.

Actually, you are right. In the first paragraph of Elzenar's info, it states:

"Elzenar has bonus Health. For each red objective token, add 1 (shield) to Elzenar's defense results and 1 to Elzenar's "Aura" value."

In our haste (or demoralized state when he appeared after we thought defeating Kindling would end the quest) it seems we skimmed this info and thought it just said +1 shield to the defense and +1 to the Aura. :(

Thanks for setting us straight.

Ouch, if he had +4 Aura originally (instead of what we though was just +1 all the time), then his Aura is 5, which almost means instant death for someone trying to get past him to convert the columns (+5 hits for each space moved adjacent to get around him, then +2 or +4 hits if the test to convert is failed and you convert it anyway).

Me thinks this quest is near impossible on Hard, being at the beginning of the Act II transition, at a point where you have no Act II weapons. We were doing good just to take Kindling down to be honest. It sure would be more practical to also have all his bonus health removed when all four columns are converted. :(

Edited by Volcano467

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm glad it is not a bug in the quest, because it takes... very long for these to be fixed.

But you are right, this Demon Lord seems like a tough nut to crack.

@DerDelphi

Just played this one last week with the wife, and holy **** was this a tough quest to beat. We thought for sure killing Kindle would end the quest and made a hail mary attempt to kill him, only to find out that the real boss was way worse.

We ended up having 2 heroes die, and then just passing their turns while the skeletons and remaining hero pulled Elzenar back through the hallways past their bodies. Then revived them and, ran them both to deal with pillars, all while using the skeleton archer minions to block the demons attacks while the Hexer killed goblins (spawning from peril) and loaded Elzenar up with hex tokens. We received the "you will lose the quest after the next round" message with 2 pillars left standing and Elzenar at 14 HP. Shutting down the last 2 pillars, Hexer attacked twice, did 12 damage on the first hit (leaving 1 hex token for 2nd attack), and then MISSED!. We had one final attack with the master skeleton archer to deal 2 damage, and he rolled one heart against Elzenar one shield (pierce 1)..... then we realized there was still a hex token left.. +1 damage For The Win!"

What a close game :)

I only played a few of the h&m sidequests so far, bit they seemed to be very challenging compared to most other quests. But at least you have a reason to repöay them :)