Some LED work

By Khyros, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

Here's how mine turned out

pic.jpg

18 minutes ago, Kylemcph240 said:

Here's how mine turned out

pic.jpg

Looks good. Do I see a wire running along the stand? What did you decide to use as a power source?

1 minute ago, Khyros said:

Looks good. Do I see a wire running along the stand? What did you decide to use as a power source?

No wire, I have it all inside the model. I just have a little 3v battery on the inside

Sorry for dredging this thread up, but aside from telling you are you are doing incredible work, I was hoping you could help me with a bit of advice before embarking on my first LED project.

1. So I was trying to light up a Raider (not much room, I know) with a single blue LED for the main engine. Can I get that model open with an exacto knife? Or do I need additional firepower?

2. I'm looking at a simple setup somewhat like this (see below). As long as I'm using a single 3.1 or 3.3 Volt LED with a 3V coin cell battery, I shouldn't need a resistor, right?

led.png

3. If I'm painting everything black inside, will gluing the model shut again prevent light from seeping out of the cut?

Edited by SleepyDad
Put the image in the middle of the post
5 hours ago, SleepyDad said:

Sorry for dredging this thread up, but aside from telling you are you are doing incredible work, I was hoping you could help me with a bit of advice before embarking on my first LED project.

1. So I was trying to light up a Raider (not much room, I know) with a single blue LED for the main engine. Can I get that model open with an exacto knife? Or do I need additional firepower?

2. I'm looking at a simple setup somewhat like this (see below). As long as I'm using a single 3.1 or 3.3 Volt LED with a 3V coin cell battery, I shouldn't need a resistor, right?

led.png

3. If I'm painting everything black inside, will gluing the model shut again prevent light from seeping out of the cut?

Hey there, congrats on taking the plunge! Feel free to shoot me a PM with any other questions, but let me answer as best I can here:

1) You should be able to open it up with an exacto knife. I did try doing a single one like that, thinking I could use a single LED and two FOs for the side engines (and I attempted to put FOs in the side, but the side is thinner than the actual FOs). It didn't quite go as planned for that, and I ended up just using the same SMDs as I do normally, I just routed the 40awg wiring inside instead of outside. Here's a picture of it opened up.

2) Yes*. And the asterisk is that it should be fine depending on the color LED you're using. Blue, Green, White, Purple are all 3-3.4V LEDs and you're fine. Red, Yellow, Orange are 2V LEDs and you'll need a resistor.

3) I used to paint everything black inside and recommend others to do the same, but I've evolved my practice and no longer do that. Judging by the picture you have there, I'm assuming you're looking to use a 1206 SMD LED in white to light the center engine. What I would recommend in that case would be to drill a hole in the engine for the wires before separating the two halves of the hull. Run the wires through the hull however you're planning, and glue the light itself on the outside of the ship.

Gosh, scrolling through my instagram, I haven't posted any Raiders in awhile. But here's an early one with the LEDs on the outside. You can't see them once they're turn on, and when they're turned off, who cares?

It's almost done... just a couple more weekends and I should have a fully operational SSD. Now, to just actually play a game of Armada and put it on the table...

Annnd complete!

4 hours ago, Khyros said:

Annnd complete!

You, my friend, are clearly insane! 😉

wonderful job it is!

25 minutes ago, gounour said:

You, my friend, are clearly insane! 😉

wonderful job it is!

Thanks. And I 100% agree. I have no desire to do that again.

9 hours ago, Khyros said:

Annnd complete!

So I'm assuming you aren't planning on taking commissions... 😄

@Atromix ... So it turns out I am taking commissions on SSDs, but for the most part I'm doing them detailed more in line with the ISD and not as many lights as my first SSD. Here's the first one I've done at that level of detail.

I totally missed out on posting my Onager that I finished up awhile ago. I'm really excited about how this one turned out. Unfortunately, I immediately went on to break it all. I noticed I had a bit of a wire trapped on the bottom side, and as I attempted to sneak it back inside the ship, I ended up pulling out all of the fiber optics :(.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAtH_h5Jaeo/