Thoughts on Nyarlathotep

By Eldritch Mike, in General Discussion

At the moment there are still enough "classic" AOs missing to fill at least two big and two small expansions. Not only Nyarlathotep is still missing but Tsathoggua, Rhan Tegoth (so far only as epic monster in the game) and my personal favorite Ghatanothoa (again so far only an epic monster token in a rumor). Other, more exotic and less known AOs include Quachil Uttaus, Bokrug and Chaugar Faugn which are all in Arkham Horror. Concerning the fact that EH is far more successful than AH, I expect at least as much as they released for the predecessor and AH had 4 big and 4 small ones so there should follow at least one more for EH because one large is still missing. Of course I hope for even more expansions. Personally I hope for a New England Expansion (with Nyarlathotep and Tsathoggua) and a Pacific one with Australia and Polynesia (with Ghatanothoa and the Great Race of Yith). Of course the New England Expansion also makes sense with Ghatanothoa as he is a part of the tale "Out of the Eons" which takes also place in New England as in Polynesia. But I WANT GHATANOTHOA AS AN AO! :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, GBI said:

Concerning the fact that EH is far more successful than AH,

More successful in which way? Sales?

As for Nyarlathotep, he would have fitted in the Under the Pyramids expansion perfectly, but did not happen. On the other hand his vampire-like appearance from The Haunter of the Dark would be fun as well to encounter in a future expansion.

On 12.8.2017 at 2:57 PM, cheapmate said:

More successful in which way? Sales?

As for Nyarlathotep, he would have fitted in the Under the Pyramids expansion perfectly, but did not happen. On the other hand his vampire-like appearance from The Haunter of the Dark would be fun as well to encounter in a future expansion.

The Haunter in the Dark would fit perfectly into the New England expansion, Providence would be also a great city location together with Boston, Innsmouth and Arkham (perhaps also New York City because of stories like "The Horror at Red Hook"), wilderness locations would be the Blasted Heath and Dunwich, perhaps also the Green Mountains and there are several possible sea locations (Devils reef etc.).

The importance of New England in the Cthulhu myth is so extraordinary high that I consider the New England expansion a must-do.

The Haunter is already a Nephren-Ka mystery, though.

15 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

The Haunter is already a Nephren-Ka mystery, though.

Maybe Nyarly also uses a selection of existing mysteries from other AOs?

On 23-8-2017 at 11:00 AM, Eldritch Mike said:

Maybe Nyarly also uses a selection of existing mysteries from other AOs?

I think you were closer than you thought, except he will be using the other AOs instead of just their mysteries.

Oh, you think he'll be tied into the campaign mode? That might be interesting.

On 10/6/2017 at 7:55 PM, cheapmate said:

I think you were closer than you thought, except he will be using the other AOs instead of just their mysteries.

Which is even better :) My first guess as to how this will work is that it revolves around the "ultimate gate". In a single game if Nyarlathotep achieves it it's game over, but in a campaign scenario the ultimate gate is a unique gate token that remains on the board, spawning AOs between future games. Although the benefits and punishments that carry over from game to game will have to be very carefully balanced. I'm curious how they can do it.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:32 AM, Eldan985 said:

Of course Paris is iconic. The Court of the Dragon? The Music of Erich Zann?

To say nothing of the Carnivalle of Horrors, which is awesome! (from the Arkham Horror LCG.)

On 10/18/2017 at 7:09 PM, xodarap said:

To say nothing of the Carnivalle of Horrors, which is awesome! (from the Arkham Horror LCG.)

That was a creation of FFG, not Lovecraft.

That doesn't make it not interesting, though. I mean, so much of what we know about the Mythos is Chaosium's work, why not use more FFG additions. I'd be open to more new Ancient Ones, too.

15 hours ago, Meretrix said:

That was a creation of FFG, not Lovecraft.

Oh, sorry Meretrix, I guess I meant iconic as in an iconic part of the Arkham Files mythos. At least to me. My group really loved that adventure. We're not so much fans of Lovecraft's writing, the whole "unknowable" schtick gets a bit tired to be honest. As does having about two total ways of "ending" a story. We're just huge fans of the Arkham Files and the gamers with the guts to play them. These games are an entirely different style of "horror" for those who like to keep track of their "wins." :)

So you've never read Lovecraft, got it.

7 hours ago, Meretrix said:

I mean, I have read Lovecraft, and the 'unknowable schtick' DOES get tiresome. Just because he was significant to horror as a genre and because FFG's games are inspired by his work, doesn't mean that people who like Arkham Files should or have to read or even like Lovecraft's writing (IMHO, the Unnameable, though iconic, is just silly.. "It was.... Unnameable!" :rolleyes: )

It's hit or miss for me, and FFG's files content is based on his contemporaries' work. Carnivalle was a fun scenario. And I'm always game for masquerade as horror tropes. It's just fun. There's something creepy about not being able to see someone's expression and the metaphor of unknown or hidden personas people conceal in favor of their public personas.

Lovecraft really doesn't do the Unnameable thing that often. It's really been memefied, like the thing about his protagonists going mad. Few of them really do.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, Meretrix said:

Sure I have. Both endings in fact! Tell me if this looks familiar: "...." :D

Edited by xodarap