what LCG will be the next to die?

By TylerTT, in Living Card Games

Star Wars and Netrunner are currently fighting over who can go the longest without any announced product. I think Star Wars will "win" (aka get cancelled first) but I think both are on the way out within the next year.

Netrunner has product in the pipeline for at least another year's worth of content. It's not dying anytime soon.

Can we please stop ******** on the situation and making it worse?

http://fliptheforce.com/star-wars-lcg-has-officially-lost-its-lead-designer/

Those who had SW LCG in the deadpool look smart today. poor out a glass of blue milk for this bold game.

I'm still thinking LOTR will retire sooner or later but they will keep the game in print and still run events for it and do more POD stuff. It's a game that will keep well as time goes on.

I'm actually really hoping that the Star Wars LCG ends sooner than later and is then replaced with a cooperative, story driven version similar to the Arkham Horror LCG. LotR is nice, but it's not really story driven in the same way that AH is. They could literally just reskin AH with SW art and names and I'd rebuy everything tomorrow.

Who knows... it all depends on how popular each game is.

As long as the game get desent amounth of cards, it is ok.

I wonder about the player pool of Netrunner now that L5R is out. Both games compete for the same spot as 2 player dueling competitive games and both these games will inevitably cannibalize some market shares from each other.

Playing both , I just hope that they will be here to stay for long years more

Seems like a safe bet. 2018 announcement, 2019 Gencon release maybe.

Actually, I think we'll see an announcement pretty soon for a release at GenCon this year. The last time FFG had a year without a new LCG was in 2013 and FFG has known a long time that SW would end with this pack so they had the time to push forward the design of a new game. A March announcement with a pre-release at GenCon would be in line with how they did it for Conquest and L5R (kinda).

Now, which setting and which kind of gameplay (coop or competitive)? That's a good question. Their coop are doing well (and they just released a competitive LCG with L5R) so they could be tempted to go that way but will they want to have 3 of them at the same time? That may be a bit much. For the setting, I'd put a coin on Twilight Imperium. With Conquest and SW out of the picture, there's a space for a Sci-fi/Space Opera themed game.

31 minutes ago, KerenRhys said:

Actually, I think we'll see an announcement pretty soon for a release at GenCon this year. The last time FFG had a year without a new LCG was in 2013 and FFG has known a long time that SW would end with this pack so they had the time to push forward the design of a new game. A March announcement with a pre-release at GenCon would be in line with how they did it for Conquest and L5R (kinda).

Now, which setting and which kind of gameplay (coop or competitive)? That's a good question. Their coop are doing well (and they just released a competitive LCG with L5R) so they could be tempted to go that way but will they want to have 3 of them at the same time? That may be a bit much. For the setting, I'd put a coin on Twilight Imperium. With Conquest and SW out of the picture, there's a space for a Sci-fi/Space Opera themed game.

I forgot about TI. That is a very real possibility. Or possibly Runebound.

But they already have 2 fantasy competitive LCGs , so TI seems more likely.

I don't think FFG has the talent pool to support another LCG at this time and will likely not launch a new one at gencon.

The lead on SW LCG went to SW Destiny as they lost the SW Destiny lead.

I'm guessing their strategy moving forward will be fewer card games with more individual support. at least it better be, the trickle of cards in traditional LCG model makes it difficult to retain player interest. they appear to be putting a whole lot of effort into L5R and I doubt they would attempt a launch that was lower key than that one.

The twilight imperium IP is owned by the FFG founder personally and I doubt he has the time to help make an LCG and I doubt they would pour those resources into making a not Star Wars sci-fi product.

I really hope they do not launch a new card game. FFG needs focus and support for their current raft of games.

If you want co-op Star Wars gameplay check out the imperial assault app.

On 1/11/2018 at 5:35 AM, TylerTT said:

I don't think FFG has the talent pool to support another LCG at this time and will likely not launch a new one at gencon.

I'm guessing their strategy moving forward will be fewer card games with more individual support. at least it better be, the trickle of cards in traditional LCG model makes it difficult to retain player interest. they appear to be putting a whole lot of effort into L5R and I doubt they would attempt a launch that was lower key than that one.

The twilight imperium IP is owned by the FFG founder personally and I doubt he has the time to help make an LCG and I doubt they would pour those resources into making a not Star Wars sci-fi product.

I really hope they do not launch a new card game. FFG needs focus and support for their current raft of games.

If you want co-op Star Wars gameplay check out the imperial assault app.

The main issue with the Imperial Assault app (and the Descent app) is that there is VERY little content. You can play a handful of times, but then you're done. with a cooperative LCG like Arkham Horror, releasing a new player character (Investigator) opens up new deck builds using the existing card pool, creating a different player experience. Heck, they could take the Arkham Horror LCG, reskin it to Star Wars and change a few terms. I think a lot of people would buy it in a heartbeat.

I do agree that FFG feels spread to thin at points.

I wish that LotR would wrap up for a better game in that setting, but with the digital launch, who knows if they'll continue making "new" product or just slowly release existing stuff?

46 minutes ago, qwertyuiop said:

I wish that LotR would wrap up for a better game in that setting, but with the digital launch, who knows if they'll continue making "new" product or just slowly release existing stuff?

I actually just recently "rediscovered " the LoTR lcg and am "all in"

Thinking on it a bit more the co-op titles do not impact the organized play scene as much as the fractures caused by adding another competitive game. They could add co-op games for a long time.

But I would argue that any effort spent making a Star Wars co-op LCG is better spent making more content for the imperial assalt app. I hope they are collecting all the purchasing data from players inputting their collections.

On 11/1/2018 at 11:35 AM, TylerTT said:

So, SW: Destiny current developer is Jeremy Zwirn who I don't think ever worked on SW LCG.

SW: Destiny main designer was Lukas Litzsinger, who never worked on developing SW LCG.

Maybe I've lost a bit of information along the road?

Lucas was the designer of destiny. He left and went to WOTC.

Star Wars LCG lost it’s lead a while back.

i May have been mistaken on who it was that took Lucas’s Place.

Dunno, I'm not updated on who was the LCG's designer, and I was simply trying to figure out who's who :D But yeah, Lukas leaving for WotC was quite a piece of news considering the amount of projects he helped designing over the years

NetRunner isn't going to last much longer than whatever has been announced.

9 hours ago, divinityofnumber said:

Do you mean that it's not going to last much longer than the entire new core set they announced at the beginning of the new phase of rotation?

It would be utterly insane to terminate in the foreseeable future. If NR wasn't viable, it wouldn't have gotten a new core.

12 hours ago, divinityofnumber said:

You are out of your damned mind.

They no doubt started work on the revised core set long before its announcement or release. If the game were slated to end in the next year or so, I could see them still pushing through a revised core set as a way to maximize sales of existing product before the game ends.

1 hour ago, divinityofnumber said:

They no doubt started work on the revised core set long before its announcement or release. If the game were slated to end in the next year or so, I could see them still pushing through a revised core set as a way to maximize sales of existing product before the game ends.

I've never heard such a strange argument. Why do over half of the people in this thread want to be doomsayers about the end of a game? There has been NO INDICATION that Netrunner will end. At all. In fact they talked about how the next cycles would replace 'staples' that rotated out. Rotation just started for Netrunner, why would they give it <1 year before stopping it?

Ask yourselves: is this the kind of thread we want folks just getting into a game or thinking about it? Pointless speculation about when the next one croaks?

5 hours ago, divinityofnumber said:

This is completely insane. Damon Stone said in an interview that it was mandated from the top level that the dev cost of the new core set had to be zero, so if they were going to pull the plug on Netrunner there is no reason at all to push through a low-margin product like a new core set. Everything that Damon Stone and Michael Boggs said in interviews is that it is pitched at new players. If they were going to end the game, then they could cancel the core set with little or no sunk cost. Just run out the clock with Data Packs for existing players like they did with Star Wars and AGOT 1st Edition.

Now, on the other hand, since there is zero actual reason to believe that Netrunner is being discontinued right when all that they've done to start it growing again is working, there is no possible scenario where it makes any sense for these things to be happening if it were true.

NOW CAN WE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET THIS THREAD DIE. IT SERVES NO PURPOSE.

Edited by Grimwalker