what LCG will be the next to die?

By TylerTT, in Living Card Games

My bet is lord of the rings.

Not because it's bad but because it's old and they have a new co-op LCG.

although maybe the lack of competitive play means new players are more interested in late cycle LCG's because there is less of a need to own everything.

what are your thoughts?

maybe a relaunch for Starwars LCG?

I could see LotR ending and being replaced by a co-op Star Wars LCG. Destiny has already done much better for competitive.

I don't think this thread serves much of any purpose.

I don't see any of them going anywhere at the moment.

Lord of the Rings continues to be one of FFG's best-sellers, doesn't it? Why would they end it just because it's the oldest cooperative one? If anything, the success of Lord of the Rings and Arkham Horror means co-op LCGs are popular. As for the next to die in years to come, I'm not sure we can predict that. I can't see any of them ending within the next few years. Perhaps AGOT only because the popularity may die off when the series stops, but that's pure conjecture.

Edited by esplanades
competitive -> cooperative

Lord of the Rings is cooperative not competitive for point of fact.

I` will bet more in a reboot of star wars lcg, either as a coop or as a competitive game.

On 5/31/2017 at 10:31 PM, esplanades said:

Lord of the Rings continues to be one of FFG's best-sellers, doesn't it? Why would they end it just because it's the oldest cooperative one? If anything, the success of Lord of the Rings and Arkham Horror means co-op LCGs are popular. As for the next to die in years to come, I'm not sure we can predict that. I can't see any of them ending within the next few years. Perhaps AGOT only because the popularity may die off when the series stops, but that's pure conjecture.

I think with the HBO spinoffs coming there is still plenty of room. I imagine the LCG would expand to these new stories, depending on where they go. And there is still plenty of room. The card game is already niche, I could see it lasting for a while longer. But I think if George ever finishes the books, the game will die soon after. Probably 3 or 4 years at most. So 10 years overall.

I don't think AGoT will die once the series is done simply because now AGoT is part of the collective fantasy imagery. It's not like LotR is not selling any longer now that all the movies are out, and it's not like the Mythos universe is shutting down at all and there are no major movies or shows or new books in the Mythos being constantly input in market. So, no reasons to worry. Sure, maybe in 10 years from now we won't have a 2nd edition AGoT, but this simply because the game (at that time close to 150 expansions) would have made its course

Star Wars LCG, I would think. Destiny has already cannibalized it's playerbase quite a bit.

I would absolutely love to see an Arkham Horror style cooperative Star Wars LCG with story driven mechanics. I've been tempted to reskin Arkham Horror for Star Wars a couple of times now, but just don't have the hours it would take.

I love LotR, but I am at the point now where there is so much great content, I could settle for them committing to 1 more cycle and then just doing maybe 1 big box a year for a while.

On 6/14/2017 at 6:09 AM, KrisWall said:

I would absolutely love to see an Arkham Horror style cooperative Star Wars LCG with story driven mechanics. I've been tempted to reskin Arkham Horror for Star Wars a couple of times now, but just don't have the hours it would take.

That was the original plan. But people wanted something competitive.

11 hours ago, TylerTT said:

That was the original plan. But people wanted something competitive.

Really? I wish they had done that instead.

I know a lot of people like the current Star Wars LCG, but I'd rather have one coop and one competitive instead of two competitive games. Star Wars Destiny is clearly the new competitive Star Wars card game. The LCG needs to go away and be replaced by a competitive version.

There is nothing Co-op about Star Wars.

I'd be ok with LotR finishing up. It may not be running out of steam from a sales perspective, but I don't have confidence in a quality continuation of narrative for much longer. There's also too much to buy....and I'm a MECCG fan, so I want something competitive.

I hope we see a new book before Thrones has to start rehashing everything like it did in 1.0.

That said, 6 LCGs isn't a bad amount. I just wish FFG had better vision where (insert every legit complaint about LCGs) is concerned.

On 6/5/2017 at 8:15 AM, Julia said:

I don't think AGoT will die once the series is done simply because now AGoT is part of the collective fantasy imagery.

Not to mention most fans have resigned to the belief that the book series will not reach a conclusion, at least not in the foreseeable future.

I would guess Star Wars due to licensing issues/cost.

to the next person who decides to post on this pointless thread once it's nearly a month old, please don't.

There's been some decent discussion in the thread. Don't like it? Move along.

Word has it that play testers for Star Wars LCG haven't had anything to test beyond the current cycle. My guess is that it is nearing its retirement.

7 hours ago, BrettP said:

Word has it that play testers for Star Wars LCG haven't had anything to test beyond the current cycle. My guess is that it is nearing its retirement.

If this is true, then it's exactly what happened to Warhammer Quest.

11 hours ago, BrettP said:

There's been some decent discussion in the thread. Don't like it? Move along.

Not a single thing in this thread has been in any way productive.

The only thing it does is unnecessarily promote an air of negativity about games dying. If you want to go talk about Star Wars winding down, go on the SWLCG forum. Don't salt the earth for all LCGs by having the top post be about taking bets about what order they'll die in.

To the next person who decides to post on this pointless thread once it's nearly a month old, please don't.

If you don't like it, don't post.

But don't censor other people just because you don't like it.

I have no power to censor anyone. But my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, and my view is that pointless threads that do nothing but spread negativity should be left to die, and I am free to encourage people to do that.

On 8/8/2017 at 11:56 AM, Grimwalker said:

Not a single thing in this thread has been in any way productive.

The only thing it does is unnecessarily promote an air of negativity about games dying. If you want to go talk about Star Wars winding down, go on the SWLCG forum. Don't salt the earth for all LCGs by having the top post be about taking bets about what order they'll die in.

To the next person who decides to post on this pointless thread once it's nearly a month old, please don't.

I'm also guessing that Star Wars will be the next to wind down. This could be a very good thing as it could open the way for a cooperative version similar to what we have in Arkham Horror. In that sense, despite playing the game, I'd be ecstatic to see the current SW LCG shut down.

Look at that. I added a little positivity for you.

After careful consideration, I think L5R will be the next to go. It's got a lackluster core in the lack of named personalities, the rules reference is online only (cheap), and the inevitable 18 months about a lack of cardpool will cause FFG to rethink its purchase and they'll give the property back to AEG(except for the rights to make L5R Love Letter) and use it as a write off. This will cause the enemy of gaming, Asmodee, to cut FFG loose, freeing them up to make a Star Wars cooperative LCG.