Homebrew scenarios now available

By BruceLGL, in Mansions of Madness

On 7/15/2017 at 9:15 PM, cgvenuti said:

i'm not the most technologically inclined so how do i load these scenarios into my Ipad where i use the MOM app?

Thanks!

Chris

That's not possible as far as I know. (Well, except maybe if you were to run a remote desktop solution on your iPad to remote control a computer running Valkyrie.)

Valkyrie is an entirely separate application, completely unrelated to the official application for MoM (or Descent). It's not a 'campaign file editor' that would allow one to create new content for the official app, but instead content created with Valkyrie needs to be played using Valkyrie. It's available for Linux, Windows and OSX, but not for Android, iOS or any other OS at this point.

Edited by Shimaaji

Android support is (still) coming, iOS is not, talk to your jail keepers.

Thanks for the response. At least I'm not crazy as I couldn't figure out how to make it work!

On 17/7/2017 at 10:55 PM, BruceLGL said:

Android support is (still) coming, iOS is not, talk to your jail keepers.

An android version?? Oh my god. That would be awesome. Can you give us an approximate (month, trimester, anything) release date? I was planning to buy a laptop pc just to use valkyrie.

Mostly depends on my availability. There are a few technical hurdles to solve, but not much drudge work, so it is very hard to estimate. Could be a week, could be a few months.

I just caught wind of this and my heart is in my throat. MORE ADVENTURES WOULD ROCK!!!! I am not super computer savvy and must admit I am a little nervous about installing something that effects the MOM2 app. I have a ton of probably silly questions and am not sure where to post them to.

Please forgive if this is the wrong place.

1) Can this be put on an iPad?

2) How worried should I be that this will adversely effect the operation of the app and or the device I put it on?

3) How will updates to the Main MOM2 app effect how this runs?

(I AM SO HOPING THIS IS WITHIN MY LEVEL OF COMPUTER SAVVY)

2 hours ago, Bibbles said:

1) Can this be put on an iPad?

No. As mentioned above iOS support will not happen.

2) How worried should I be that this will adversely effect the operation of the app and or the device I put it on?

You shouldn't. It doesn't change the official app at all. As for the device in general, as per most things on the internet you just have to trust the source that it doesn't contain malware, so me saying 'it is fine' doesn't mean much anyway. Having said that - it is fine.

3) How will updates to the Main MOM2 app effect how this runs?

We've been stung be this already (read earlier posts). In most cases it won't affect at all. If you have imported the content from the official app, and don't reimport it also won't be affected.

Are you going to update valkyr for the new stuff from "streets of arkham" ? It's a shame that this topic remain hidden in the second page..

Yes, D2E just got an update too, so hopefully I'll have 1.5 out within a week with the new content.

Hey! Thanks for making this! I'm encountering a bug though on v1.5! Hope you can help.

When I start a new scenario, I select the investigators, then it gives me the prelude, then it shows the starting items. The app then displays the starting tiles and tells me each investigator starts with 2 clues. BUT when I press 'continue', the screen goes all white! I'm going to attach a screenshot to show you. The screen becomes dead white, and only UI elements remain. The game still runs as normal; i can click on Menu, Settings, even end the Investigator Phase, but I can't see anything.

Thank you!

Screenshot (26).png

9 hours ago, novemberisms said:

Hey! Thanks for making this! I'm encountering a bug though on v1.5! Hope you can help.

When I start a new scenario, I select the investigators, then it gives me the prelude, then it shows the starting items. The app then displays the starting tiles and tells me each investigator starts with 2 clues. BUT when I press 'continue', the screen goes all white! I'm going to attach a screenshot to show you. The screen becomes dead white, and only UI elements remain. The game still runs as normal; i can click on Menu, Settings, even end the Investigator Phase, but I can't see anything.

Thank you!

Hey Novemberisms,

Can you post this over on the project page under the issues tab? It helps us keep track of the issues that we need to address.

That being said, did you install Valkyrie since the latest update of MoM for Streets of Arkham support? With the new update I don't think there has been time to parse the new info into the handler.

I have confirmed this is a bug with importing from 1.4. It only came out today, so give me a chance to update!

A prerelease with MoM 1.4.1 support is available here:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases

Note that this is a pre-release, it hasn't been fully tested, but should be better than running Valkyrie 1.5 with MoM 1.4.

Valkyrie is not getting much love over here. So I just wanted to say the app is really looking good now. It even have an android client in pre-release that works well.

There are several really well received and professional looking home brew scenarios available.

If you're interested in seeing some reviews on the scenarios that are available check out the poll on BGG.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1916430/fan-made-scenarios-reviews-valkyrie

Also if you feel like trying your hand at making a scenario in Valkyrie check out my guide here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gi5gTwKkw84Px0Lvk-bJ3Aml_vF3ZoljjB6a8FjWGt8/

Currently all expansions up to and including Streets of Arkham are supported. Support for Sanctum of Twilight is in the works.

2 hours ago, scrubbless said:

Valkyrie is not getting much love over here. So I just wanted to say the app is really looking good now. It even have an android client in pre-release that works well.

There are several really well received and professional looking home brew scenarios available.

If you're interested in seeing some reviews on the scenarios that are available check out the poll on BGG.

Also if you feel like trying your hand at making a scenario in Valkyrie check out my guide here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gi5gTwKkw84Px0Lvk-bJ3Aml_vF3ZoljjB6a8FjWGt8/

Currently all expansions up to and including Streets of Arkham are supported. Support for Sanctum of Twilight is in the works.

Thanks for that guide! Hope time will permit me to give it a go.
So all the love for this is at BGG?

Alot of the love is at BGG, only because that's where people post. I'll keep posting here though when new scenarios are added, etc.

I don't think you can do polls here, so those will have to stay at BGG for now or until the Valkyrie team (or community) come up with a better platform for ratings/scenario distribution.

Edited by scrubbless

Im afraid that this will mess up my device....dont laugh ;) How safe are people finding this thing? Its also looking more complex to setup and run than I am comfy with...thoughts?

Its just an android APK that runs the unity engine. Like any other side loaded apps you have to turn on 3rd party support.

It only requires storage access, to save the home brew scenario content.

It's perfectly safe and has a very active community, many of them are coders.

There are two options - Windows and Android.

Windows is in stable release (1.6.1), android is quite new and only available in prerelease. However the pre release 1.7.0b is rock solid and the latest 1.7.0d looks good too.

Download locations:

Windows.

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases/tag/release/1.6/v1.6.1

Android (or Windows prerelease).

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases

(Personally I would recommend using 1.7.0d, since the latest official app has introduced bugs with the import)

Installation process is:

Windows:

1. Install MoM official app on Steam.

2. Install Valkyrie (1.6.1 is the current stable version, however I would recommend 1.7.0d)

3. Open Valkyrie and hit 'Import' this will link all the official MoM to Valkyrie.

Android:

1. Install the official MoM from the play store.

2. Download the APK file from the Valkyrie GitHub (see link above)

3. Turn on 3rd party app support (phone settings)

4. Open the APK file to install it (or use and APK installer app)

5. Open Valkyrie and Import data as above.

Start a Scenario:

1. Once in the MoM main menu got into select content and enter which expansions and tiles sets (1st ed) you have.

2. From the main menu select "Scenario"

3. Press the green "Download" button to get a list of all available scenarios.

4. Touch the ones you want to download and wait.

5. Hit "Back" to go back to the Scenario selection screen. Touch the one you want to play.

I've been using the windows application and Android applications on various machines for the past 7-8 months without issue. The community is very open and collaborative in its approach. I would encourage you to give it a try, there are some amazing scenarios out there.

Edit: There is a section in my guide on how to install on windows. Though I have yet to add an android install guide. I will do when it's released as stable.

Edited by scrubbless

The reviews are coming in for Home Brew scenarios and some are getting good scores!

So if you have run out of official scenarios to play and want to try something a little different check out the Valkyrie Home Brew Scenarios Review surveys here:

Valkyrie is free and easy to use.

On 4/24/2018 at 12:49 PM, BruceLGL said:

Version 2.0 with Android support now released:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki

Hi Bruce. I've checked the valkyrie. It's great, but have you thought about enhancing the visual part, recreating original app look.( interface, puzzles, cutscenes etc. )

Good job guys, definitely have to check the android app as well I see :)

Edited by kyozu

Just bumping this back up, worth a look if you have not tried Valkyrie yet.