Homebrew scenarios now available

By BruceLGL, in Mansions of Madness

Hi all,

I have just released Valkyrie 1.0 here:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki

Valkyrie is an alternative to the official app which allows for creation and playing of user created scenarios. Right now there are two scenarios available:

The Fall of House Lynch
This is a faithful recreation of the Mansions of Madness First Edition classic. Requires The First Edition core box or Recurring Nightmares Figure and Tile Collection.

Available in English and German.

Exotic Materials
A collector of rare metals tracked a meteorite which fell near the town of Rowley. On visiting the town she found the locals to be very unhelpful and slightly disturbing, and has tasked you with finding and retrieving the meteorite. What dark secrets await you in Rowley?

Available in English and Spanish. Edit: and German

Enjoy!

Edited by BruceLGL

Thanks. :wub: - Diving into Exotic Materials right now.

A little bug: I had no ad. content selected, yet when I started the scenario, it told me to start with the Arcane Insight spell from the Beyond the Threshold Expansion, which I obviously should not get.

Thank you Bruce, you cant imagine how happy im after that news!
This is the only way to make MoM great! Is an amazing game and FFG can see that, im sure about it... and user content can make it shine more than ever! Official and user content can co-exist without problems, because a player want to play... simple as that, and have a wide choice of scenarios.
Cant wait to see what happens next!

17 hours ago, BruceLGL said:

Hi all,

I have just released Valkyrie 1.0 here:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki

Congrats on the 1.0! I'm getting close to wrapping up my first scenario.

6 hours ago, Lorinor said:

Thanks. :wub: - Diving into Exotic Materials right now.

A little bug: I had no ad. content selected, yet when I started the scenario, it told me to start with the Arcane Insight spell from the Beyond the Threshold Expansion, which I obviously should not get.

This is probably because that is a text based entry, not a selection based stop. This is something that can be easily fixed. Either by using the scenario editor and looking for the Event, I believe that it's one of the GetItem events, or if BruceLGL does an update.

4 hours ago, pettigrosso said:

Thank you Bruce, you cant imagine how happy im after that news!
This is the only way to make MoM great! Is an amazing game and FFG can see that, im sure about it... and user content can make it shine more than ever! Official and user content can co-exist without problems, because a player want to play... simple as that, and have a wide choice of scenarios.
Cant wait to see what happens next!

I think that this is going to be fun for everyone to have a chance to be creative!

18 minutes ago, LordPyrex said:

Congrats on the 1.0! I'm getting close to wrapping up my first scenario.

I think that this is going to be fun for everyone to have a chance to be creative!

THIS! oh... what a cool thing... i cant wait to take a look to your first scenario, and maybe put some effort into design one myself (too bad for the double problem of programming level and language... lol)

> I had no ad. content selected, yet when I started the scenario, it told me to start with the Arcane Insight spell from the Beyond the Threshold Expansion, which I obviously should not get.

Thanks added:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/357

> Too bad for the double problem of programming level and language...

Currently supports English, Spanish, French, Italian and German. Valkyrie itself should be fully translated but the editor documentation is only in English. Happy to accept help for other languages and/or documentation translation.

Exotic Materials now available in German! Happy to accept additional translations.

Bruce, this is fantastic! I am amazed at the lack of replies here.

Question - how do we share the scenarios we make? And where are the scenario files kept? I'm worried I will build some, then update the program and lose the files! Can I back them up somewhere?

This should answer your questions:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki/QuestPublish

Newer versions of Valkyrie should be able to read older scenarios (at least the previous version) and can be resaved to update - backup before you do this. I like to work with my scenarios in version control, but if you aren't familiar with that you can use any file management system you like.

Is there a way to use the editor to add additional monsters to the current scenarios? I own additional Arkham Horror miniatures and would love to include them in the game. It would actually make me want to buy more miniatures.

I think the best way this could work is under the "My Collection" menu where you choose which expansions you own, there would be a menu for additional monsters. You would then have a full list of monsters from FFG that you can select individually if you own them and will randomly spawn in your games.

Edited by Drjacobs
Additional thought.

You can add custom monsters to your own scenarios and you can create your own expansions that will add to the available monsters (or any other additional content). Note that this will only work if the scenario is written to allow random monsters within certain criteria. Note that it will also require writing evade, horror and monster attack text for any new monsters.

This is awesome - thank you!

Whoua ! I hope there will be more and more by fans ! Thank you very much Bruce

Thanks!

I haven't had the time lately, but this looks very good! Thanks!

I want to help translate the adventures into Portuguese, the game was released a few days in Brazil and the adventures of the app have been translated, less to What lies within, but to other made by players not yet. So if you can help please let me know.

Thanks for the program and initiative!

If you don't want to use github just save that file, edit, and send to me. This is for general Valkyrie text.
For scenarios you can use the 'Copy' function in the editor. Then in %AppData%/Valkrie there will be a EditorScenario directory with Localization files for each language. Just copy one and translate.

I am happy to accept translations for "Exotic Materials" and "The Fall of House Lynch". "The Truth" isn't mine, please contact slycozzolino:
https://github.com/slycozzolino

16 hours ago, BruceLGL said:
If you don't want to use github just save that file, edit, and send to me. This is for general Valkyrie text.
For scenarios you can use the 'Copy' function in the editor. Then in %AppData%/Valkrie there will be a EditorScenario directory with Localization files for each language. Just copy one and translate.

I am happy to accept translations for "Exotic Materials" and "The Fall of House Lynch". "The Truth" isn't mine, please contact slycozzolino:

Hey Bruce thanks 4 your answer. I will started to translate and send to you (just because I have fear to mess with something in GITHUB).
And I will talk with Slycozzolino about it. :)

On 5/31/2017 at 10:08 AM, Sanscouer said:

And I will talk with Slycozzolino about it. :)

Hey Sanscouer,

You can access my localization file here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NPBruce/valkyrie-questdata/master/source/MoM/TheTruth/Localization.English.txt

You can send your file back to me through FFG/Asmodee site so you don't have to create a GitHub profile if you don't plan to set it up.

Bruce,

Correct me if i am wrong on this or there is a better way, but Sanscouer should be able to just copy the scenarios in the editor and place the new localization file in its folder to test it. Once you are done you could send file out to be merged and delete your copy.

Yep, the only issue is I haven't released the core Valkyrie Portuguese support yet, but this will work when I have.

I've been following this forum for a while now as well as your project.

Really good job Bruce, haven't been able to actually use it for a game but I blame the good weather for that :P

On 30/05/2017 at 6:39 PM, BruceLGL said:

"The Truth" - iI missed that scenario or not just release yet?

Anyway, love The Fall of House Lynch scenario. Totally faithful to the original.

> "The Truth" - iI missed that scenario or not just release yet?

Should be available on the download page of any 1.2 build.

I have also released a 1.3 prerelease for Portuguese support, you can test and edit scenarios in this build (not that this is not a general release at this stage):

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases

Thanks Bruce.

Wow just popped over to this form to see what people were talking about I have really wanted to build my own scenario hoping ffg would make a program to do it, but this is awesome thanks!!