Homebrew Content: Personal Stories

By Eldan985, in General Discussion

One element I was actually quite fond of in Arkham Horror that is so far missing in Eldritch Horror was the investigators' personal stories. So, I thought, why not develop some myself?

I sat down and made one set myself, as a test, to see what people think of these. In structure, these are generally like an adventure, but one focused on one investigator (pulled one randomly, it's Norman Withers). What I'm not quite sure off, frankly, is the power level. As always, more options help the players (unless they get too distracted) and to make them worthwhile, I did make the final effects on Adventure III quite strong. We'll see what people think.

To have some variety, I thought I'd make variants for different Ancient One/Investigator combinations.

(A second one is in development right now and half-done, Daisy Walker.)

One last thing to say, I'm not a great designer. I put these together with copy-pasting in Inkscape and GIMP, out of some free textures and stock images. Don't expect anything amazing-looking.

BM42cZ1.png
2wEiNop.png
Gpkco3N.png
4BonqEi.png
RZPovwA.png

QBn4dWK.png
rLWenck.png

now, i really like this personally.

i agree with some of the response over on BGG that it is a bit heavy and adds a little TOO much, but i don't mind a grand adventure in solo for 1 investigator.

a 4 or 6 player game on the other hand? everyone with their own mission, the active mystery, perhaps a prelude, maybe an adventure token somewhere? phew! that's a LOT of stuff.

the great thing about the Arkham Horror personal stories is that they were on a little card, they were simple, some were much better than others, but most were easy to get off. i think this story arc above is great, and really cool. would love to see a more simple, condensed double sided card version, similar to Arkham, great work btw.

I do agree that it's too much, and would probably work better for a single player game. 2 maximum. Otherwise, you could very easily rush through a Mythos just by doing those.

I really like these, but what I would suggest is that a personal story for ONE investigator who started the game is selected at random and put into play in addition to the typical components.

It is entirely too much content for each investigator to have one available, and it makes perfect sense to me that a single investigator may be 'on the right track' while the others may be floundering a little.

The other option is to handle the personal stories like Arkham Horror did. Each character starts with a 'condition' that if met will flip and trigger something good or something terrible. These could provide benefits such as improvements and blessing or evils like impairments and pacts. They could also act as a character specific condition that does something to effect gameplay mechanics "you can no longer perform trade actions" etc.

The biggest problem here would be that there would need to be ample space for flavor text (otherwise, what's the point?) and the conditions should have less significant and swingy results as each investigator will have one.

Just some thoughts.