Enjoying app/frustrated with app

By backupsidekick, in Road to Legend

To start with, I am confused with one interaction: the Bane spiders action list was 1. spot the closest hero, 2. attack the hero within 3 spaces with the lowest Strength. These 2 interactions conflicted, so should the spider 1. spot the closest hero, and then 2. completely ignore that hero and attack the hero within 3 spaces with the lowest Strength, or does the spot the closest hero action mean to spot and then attack? It seems that this action list should be reversed.

second question, once the monsters have started their activation, I have not found a way to click on the monster icon to find out how they spend surges or other information. You have to click through their activation to then be able to see their information, but then you miss what they do when they activate. If I've missed a way to see that information I would appreciate the info. EDIT (found answer online)

lastly, we are playing kindred fire, and have missed both of the relics. I am going to try to be discrete, but unfortunately there will be some minor hint/spoilers. The first red door we came to, we figured would react like red doors in the base game, we would need a key. I didn't realize, until after the quest ended, that we could click on it to interact without being next to the door to see what requirements would be needed. I wish the app had indicated that we SHOULD interact with the door to have a better understanding of what we needed to do. The second time we were frustrated was that we skipped the second relic opportunity because we simply went the wrong way, and once the lieutenant was revealed, the timer started and we HAD to defeat and therefore finish the quest before we lost. We didn't have a chance to explore the rest of the dungeon. Using the information we gained from the first quest and missed relic we figured we needed to explore any locked doors, but this time it was completely the opposite.

I get the idea that we are exploring, and have no idea what is in the dungeon, or where things might pop up, but the problem is that once the primary objective is complete, the quest completely ends. There is no chance to explore the rest of the dungeon.

I am enjoying the app, so is my party, but the problem is we don't feel like we are learning from our mistakes when it comes to exploring. Had the second mission been laid out in the other direction, we could have just as easily accidentally explored into the end of the quest that way as well. I just wish the app played a little more like a video game where each quest is based off of what you learned from the previous quest. As it is, I honestly feel like I need to "cheat" and look on the forums to make sure I don't miss anything, or just blindly wander around until I find something hidden or the end of the quest. I don't have the feeling of a cunning explorer, looking for secret passageways and hidden treasure, I feel like I'm just busting down doors and seeing what happens next. There's no cleverness to our approach.

Now, the other thing is that I could have missed important key text in the flavor text that gave us hints as to where to go, or where to look, but if that's the case, the other 2 players missed that as well.

Edited by backupsidekick

Ok first question:

The Bane spider would move until it is within 3 spaces of the closest hero to it.
THEN the bane spider would attack the hero within 3 spaces with the lowest strength, this does not need to be the same hero it moved towards in the first action. Each action is resolved independently.

Second Question:

Click the skull icon at the top of the monster activation window.

Third Issue:

When it comes to exploring, yeah sometimes if you don't know the map you may miss something. But when it comes to red doors etc, its always a good idea to click on EVERYTHING on the map once and read the available actions, you can always click 'cancel' to avoid any interaction. I did the same thing with the red door in the first quest, and did it again on another map when I assumed a portcullis could not be opened.

All of these concepts are explained in the tutorial quest, but unfortunately they are easy to miss/forget :( Just for reference, here are the explanations.

1:

Some monsters are instructed to spot a particular space, again usually a space containing a hero. Spot is very similar to engage: a move action is performed, and the monster moves itself in relation to the specified space. However, instead of trying to move into the particular space (as engage does), the monster is attempting to be in line of sight and within 3 spaces of that space.

This group of monsters is ranged. Ranged monsters only perform attack actions if the target is at range 3 or less. If the monster is outside range 3, it does not perform the attack action.

2:

However, many monsters have clarifications for their abilities, in particular how they spend Surge results. Road to Legend provides these clarifications for player reference in the info panel at the top of the screen.

3:

Finally, players should not forget that they can select elements on the map (such as the pile of bodies) at any time for more information on how they are used.

1 hour ago, DerDelphi said:

This group of monsters is ranged. Ranged monsters only perform attack actions if the target is at range 3 or less. If the monster is outside range 3, it does not perform the attack action.

This sounds misleading. Is this backed up by the rules anywhere? I can't think of a good reason to make a ranged unit stand there and do nothing just because it's at a range of 4.

That is not correct.

When a monster is ordered to 'spot' it moves to the closest space 3 spaces away from the target, within line of sight.

If the monster can not reach such a space, it moves to the closest space to the target it can, while still maintaining line of sight.

Once it has moved, the next action (assuming its attack) will make the ranged attack from its current space regardless of the actual range.

Thats indeed interesting. The following quotes are directly taken from the tutorial scenario in the apps source files:

The group of monsters you just defeated was ranged. Ranged monsters only attack targets at range 3 or less, unless instructed otherwise. If the monster is outside range 3, it moves to the closest space from which it has line of sight and is within range 3.

On the other hand, the Road to Legend manual has the following entry:

The goblin archer moves as far as it can, 4 spaces, and ends its movement so that it still has line of sight of Leoric, even if it cannot get within 3 spaces. It then attacks Leoric, given that he is the closest hero who has not been attacked this activation.

These two statements are cleary at odds. Currently I played it as defined by the tutorial, but I think the entry in the manual seems to be a newer addition.

It must have been an oversight, or a rule change which wasn't updated in the tutorial. Nice find :)