Star Wars: Midnight Squadron [PbP] Shadows Over Veerstown [On Break]

By Aurin, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Init order is (will update once Tom rolls):

3S – PC

2S 6A – PC

1S 3A - Stormtroopers

1S 2A – PC

We should also roll the destiny pool when everyone gets a moment...

Edited by Aurin

@Aurin got it. Is there a boost or other modification because they don't know where I am?

Destiny Pool : 1eF 2 Dark Side
f-ds-ds.png

Ouch!

Edited by aclarkbr90
adding force roll

Tycho slipped his slugthrower and took aim at the trooper accosting Div. The trooper hadn't spotted Tycho yet, so he knew he only had one shot. Tycho didn't know much about plastoid armor, but he figured that it would be the weakest at the base of the neck, where the trooper would need a high range of motion. Tycho's hand shook as he pulled the trigger. He'd never actually shot someone before, at least someone who wasn't in a ship. There was a first time for everything though, and Imperial troopers were a good place to start.

"Eat this, ya load of drutash!" he growled as he pulled the trigger.

Not sure exactly how the fact that I'm hidden impacts the roll. I assumed that it would be worth a boost. If that's wrong, then ignore the second boost.

Shooting the Stormtrooper in the back : 4eA+1eD+2eB 3 successes, 5 advantage
a-s-a.png a-s-a.png a-s-s.png a-a.png d-f-f.png b-s.png b-a-a.png

That worked well! 7 damage, and the troopers are disoriented for one round (costs two advantage). I'll spend one advantage to give Div a boost on her check, and two advantage to give the next character a boost - both due to the fact that the troopers are being surprised by my attack (note: if I shouldn't have rolled the second boost then I can't give out one to the second character).

The trigger clicked and the slug flew true. It popped on impact, disorienting the troopers for a split second. Hopefully, that would be all Div would need. The human looked like she was ready for action, and was eager to take down her distracted foes.

I could get used to this, the Sullustan thought, as the second trooper turned toward him, suddenly realizing that they had been ambushed. Spotting the trooper's carbine, Tycho began to wonder if he had made a grave mistake...

Here's the destiny roll:

Destiny roll : 1eF 2 Light Side
f-ls-ls.png

Making up for someone rolling 2 dark...

And guys, if you have a chance to crit them, take it! One crit will take out a minion. We need all the advantage we can get...

Oh boy, now things are getting interesting. I might as well take the next PC slot, seems appropriate.

Initiative...
Initiative Cool Roll : 1eA+1eP 1 success, 2 advantage
a-s-a.png p-a.png

And Destiny...
Destiny Pool : 1eF 2 Light Side
f-ls-ls.png

She's frozen still for a second as the white armour emerges at the end of the alley, the loud crack of Tycho's slugthrower bringing her back to reality. Acting mostly on instinct, her hand goes to her hip, raising the diminutive holdout blaster and firing off a shot from the hip, lip clenched firmly between her teeth as she stares into the intimidating faceplate of the dazed trooper.

One maneuver to draw her pistol, one action to fire.

Firing at Stormtrooper : 4eA+1eB+1eD 1 success
a--.png a--.png a-a.png a-s-s.png b--.png d-f-th.png

That's 6 damage, so a grand total of... 1, after Soak, assuming you're not using modified stats or anything. Oh well! Small progress is still progress :P

The energy blast pounds into the Stormtrooper's shoulder, but the shot hits at an angle, and the blast doesn't have enough power behind it to punch through the laminate. It's sure to hurt like hell, but it's not going to put the bastard down, which is the only thing that's going to help her right now. Swearing under her breath, she puts both hands on the grip, getting ready for the next shot and hoping like hell this cheap piece of scrap doesn't overheat before she gets the chance. Hopefully sticking with a crew was the right idea, or she's looking at an early retirement.

Destiny Pool : 1eF 1 Dark Side
f-ds.png

I am not helping...

Speaking of helping, I believe it is an NPC slot next, but when it does come around to Todak's turn... well there's not much he will be able to do (his unarmed attack is a single green and I'd have to roll 5 successes to do any damage). Can he throw garbage at the Stormtroopers to distract them and maybe at least provide a boost to an ally or a setback to the Stormies? Let me know if you want a roll for that as and when my turn comes around.

@Squirrelsan You could always use skulduggery to try to pull something off one of the Stormies' belt. This would fit nicely with the initial distraction and with your hiding spot, and could be very very clutch, particularly if they are rocking grenades. Or you could use perception to spot something useful amidst the scattered junk. Or you could use knowledge (edu) to learn something useful about blaster fire or plastoid armor or something, right? This is more of a stretch, but maybe the door that we just came through could be jury-rigged in some way via mechanics. More likely than not, a medicine check may be necessary, too. Neither Div nor I can take more than one shot from a carbine.

@Kymrel Yeah sorry - I probably should have critted to kill one. I underestimated Stormtrooper armor.

Don't worry guys. I have a plan. It's not a very good plan. But it's a plan... We'll see how it goes once the Stormtroopers have taken a turn.

The lead Stormtrooper grunts as the oncoming blaster fire scorches through his plastoid armor at the soft joint area near his neck. With years of disciplined military training, the Stormtroopers wade further into the alleyway, unfazed at the feeble resistance this small group of would-be rebels is mounting. “ It’s an ambush! ” one of the voices booms through his armor’s speakers. “ Set for stun! ” Leveling their blaster rifles, they fire on Div.

Sorry for the delay here folks! We'll get onto a normal cadence here soon. Maneuver to close the distance to short, action to fire.

Stormies fire on Div : 2eA+1eP+1eD+1eS 2 successes, 1 threat
a-a.png a-a.png p-s-s.png d-th-th.png s-th.png

The pair of stormies hit Div for 11 stun damage before soak. We'll use the threat to make the stormies take one strain damage.

@Squirrelsan - you can definitely distract to provide a boost to one of your friends in this situation if that's what you want to do - no need to roll. You can also make a grab for a vibroknife on the Stormie's utility belt if you'd rather as well.

The total destiny pool - 4 light side, 3 dark side.

Hokay, now that the Stormies have taken action it's time to reveal Ella's plan. Remember, I only said it was a plan , I never said it was a good plan... The plan is for Ella to sneak up on the rear trooper, hold a hard piece of plastic to his throat, pretending it's a blaster, and ordering him to drop his weapon.

I'm guessing this will call for a Deception check to fool the trooper into thinking she's armed with something more dangerous than a particularly blunt toothbrush.

I just wonder if I'll first need some sort of a stealth-check to get up to him undetected, or if the fact that Ella already passed a Stealth check and the troopers have apparently advanced past her hiding place make that unnecessary. If a Stealth check is called for I guess this would take two rounds, since both the Stealth check and the Deception check are, technically, actions.

@Aurin , could you please let me know the difficulty of the Deception and the Stealth check, if needed?

Edited by Kymrel

@Kymrel Very cool! Given that the one is pretty darn near dead, this ought to have a chance.

I'm also hoping for a boost due to the fact that the troopers know they have plenty of friendlies nearby and we have nowhere to go, as far as the're concerned. So why die there for nothing?

As the lead Stormtrooper aimed his blaster for another shot at the human woman, a sudden blow to the head knocked his aim off. Looking around he saw a small Chadra-Fan chittering away in it's alien tongue and throwing garbage at him. He tried to ignore it and concentrate on his shot when a rotten jogan fruit splashed across his visor. **** that filthy alien runt!

Todak is providing a distraction to provide a boost to the next ally. Maybe Ella can use it to help with her cunning plan.

@Kymrel - given that you are currently "stealth," I don't think you need another check. This will be an opposed Deception vs. Discipline (3P 1R for the minion group of two). Stormies don't do this type of surrendering often, so I'll also add a setback die to the ruse. Todak's distraction is helpful giving you a boost die as well. It may be time to flip that destiny point... :)

Yupp, figured this would be hard. Are you certain about the difficulty, DDD C , is that correct? Not DD C for Will 3 and 1 upgrade for 2 minions? No matter. I'll roll the check, if there is one too many Difficulty dice we can disregard the last one.

I'll flip a DP for this one, I think...

Deception to try to bluff the Stormtrooper : 1eA+2eP+1eB+3eD+1eC+1eS 1 failure, 1 threat, 1 Triumph
a-s-s.png p-tr.png p-a.png b--.png d-th.png d-f-th.png d-f.png c-f.png s-f.png

Hm. That's a tricky one! So the potential extra difficulty die doesn't matter, since I'll fail with 0 successes even if we disregard the last Difficulty die. And clearly the distraction caused by a rodent throwing rubbish did not convince the trooper he was in imminent danger since the Boost came up blank!

The question is what do do with the Triumph. I would like to propose the following: The trooper is more surprised than scared, and although he does not surrender, in his surprised state he loosens the grip on his blaster rifle (or is he carrying a carbine?), allowing Ella to wrench the weapon from his hand.

Let me know how you want to adjudicate the roll and I'll post IC. Remember, you also have a Threat to work with.

Edited by Kymrel

@Kymrel oh! Tycho gave you an boost from his check as well (he gave out a boost to Div & you, since Todak didn't take it).

Oh, I forgot. Here comes the forgotten boost:

Tycho's forgotten boost : 1eB 1 success, 1 advantage
b-s-a.png

Oh my! End result is 0 successes, 1 Triumph. Now the difficulty question becomes quite pertinent...

@Kymrel - quite the roll! Now it no longer looks like I have that threat to work with. Let's assume that you caused enough pause in the stormtrooper to disarm him, knocking the blaster to the ground in close proximity. You'll need to go ahead of the Stormies in order if you want to make a lunge for the rifle before he goes for it. At the top of the next round I'm going to split the minion group into two (as they now have separate weapons) so please specify which one you are targeting. The currently wounded stormie is the one with the rifle, while the untouched one is disarmed.

After Kymrel posts, we're back up to the top of the order of PC, PC.

Also, as an aside as it relates to the destiny pool, whenever you flip a destiny point, please restate the pool so its easier to keep track. The current pool is now 3 light side 4 dark side.

Interesting. I'll get a post up later today. I suppose Ella could spend some strain to get a second maneuver to grab that blaster...

Her heart pounding in her chest, Ella’asaren squeases out of the box she’s been hiding in as the two Stormtroopers move past her hiding place. Her friends don’t stand a chance in a straight up firefight against trained soldiers wearing armor, carrying blaster rifles. She quickly makes up her mind. One of the troopers is struck by a shot from Tycho and the other white-armored soldier moves up in front of him.

Seizing the opportunity, Ella moves out behind the second Stormtrooper. Can’t let them kill Tycho and the others, she thinks as she clutches the short plastic rod she scrounged up inside the box. She moves in silently, and then grabs the trooper from behind with her left arm and presses her plastic rod against his throat, under his helmet.

“Drop your weapon or I'll blow your head off,” she orders the trooper in a voice that sounds more assertive and in control than she’s really feeling. “Do it! NOW!” If this fails, they’ll gun her down in seconds.

The trooper doesn’t drop his weapon. Instead, Ella hears a surprised-sounding voice from underneath the helmet. “What the…” the trooper manages to say in his surprise. He shifts his grip on his rifle, holding it with his left hand only, and tries to use his right hand to push at his assailant. Ella, sensing he’s not about to drop his weapon, spins with him to her left, and tries to grab his weapon. The trooper is surprised by this development and tries to yank the weapon away, but loses his grip on the blaster rifle, sending it clattering on the ground.

Ella, quick as a flash, keeps her momentum going and dives for the weapon, grabbing the heavy black blaster rifle in both hands, just a couple of feet from the irritated Stormtrooper who loses precious time as he spins an entire circle trying to catch the cunning Twi’lek.

The trooper’s distorted voice seems loud in the alley as he shouts: “Hey, what do you think you’re doing?”

So, the plan sort of worked, thanks to the Triumph! Ella spends a maneuver getting to the trooper, and an action trying to bluff him. She then spends two strain for a second maneuver, grabbing the blaster rifle off the ground.

I would really appreciate one of the two early slots in the round just starting, since I sort of suspect Ella might be target number one for both the Stormtroopers!

@Kymrel go again immediately (attacking the uninjured one), since your carbine is way more likely to make it through their armor than our peashooters are. Div or I can follow and hopefully take down the guy who is already at his wound threshold. Also definitely spend as much strain as you need to in order to ensure you get a hit (and maybe a kill) as two strain could easily save you like 8 wounds right now.

Edited by aclarkbr90

Seems like a solid plan to me. Probably doesn't matter too much which of us goes next, we've got the exact same dice pool and similarly wimpy guns, so I guess whichever of us gets around to it first would probably be fine.

Ella doesn't stop moving. The disarmed Stormtrooper is too slow to catch her as she runs a few steps away from the armored figure. The other Stormtrooper is torn between shooting the others or turning to face Ella. She makes a split-second desicion to shoot him over the disarmed trooper, trying to take him down quickly.

The young Twi'lek has only ever fired small blasters, under the guidance of her father. He had insisted she at least know how to handle the weapons in case she had to defend herself. A blaster rifle was a whole other beast. Ella stops for a moment and takes aim at the Stormtrooper in front of her, before pulling the trigger and holding it down.

The weapon fires several times, throwing Ella off balance with the powerful recoil. Her aim is off, and the stun-blasts from the weapon either ricochet harmlessly off the armor or hit the walls around the Stormtrooper as the armored man retreats and dodges to the side in order to make himself a more difficult target.

Well, that didn't go as well as it could have. This was a maneuver to disengage, and strain for a second maneuver to quickly aim before taking action to shoot the Stormtrooper still carrying a blaster (weapon is still set on Stun).

Shooting the stormtrooper still carrying a weapon : 3eA+1eB+1eD 0 successes, 2 advantage
a-a.png a--.png a-s.png b-a-a.png d-f-th.png

I'll use the two advantages to recover strain. I might need it if he shoots me with a weapon set on Stun...

Edited by Kymrel

Div fixes her grip on the compact blaster, focusing for a moment and taking careful aim at the already injured stormtrooper. Taking a deep breath, she pulls on the trigger, firing off a tight group of blasts. It's dead on this time, the shots impacting against the Stormtrooper's chestplate and sending him staggering back with a surprising amount of force for such a tiny weapon. Finally down for the count, the white armoured trooper collapses with a few smoking marks in his laminate for good measure. She's still riding the adrenaline wave, and doesn't stop to admire her handiwork, immediately setting her sights on the other Stormtrooper and adjusting her stance. The thought to dive for cover never crosses her mind, standing clear in the open as she braces to fire.

Firing on Stormtrooper : 4eA+1eB+1eD 3 successes, 2 advantage
a-a.png a-s.png a-s.png a-s.png b-a-a.png d-th.png

Took a maneuver to aim, and fired off a shot. Finally a nice roll! That's 8 damage, so 3 after soak. Unless I've been tracking things very wrong (if so I'll amend this post), that's one Stormtrooper down.

I'll spend the two advantages to recover strain, probably gonna need it.

Edited by Tom Cruise

Nice work guys.

I'm a little confused by the Stormtrooper stats though; by my count their discipline should be 2P1R (3P upgraded once for having a second minion in the group), and their soak should be 5. Appreciate the GM may simply be using different stats though, which is fine.