Monser/NPC fatigue-wounds alternative

By valvorik, in WFRP House Rules

When a monster is wounded, that it bleeds out running I buy and similarly in some other situations it can buy it falling unconscious at least from fatigue due to exertion.

I also understand and approve of the idea the GM shouldn't have to track fatigue/stress for NPC's.

However, the "wound instead" approach does result in some ability of players to manipulate that (mostly in outdoors areas etc.) and is sometimes not easy to imagine.

Any fundamental problems with letting a monster spend Aggression for a maneouvre (getting into a fight sooner and not taking repeated ranged attacks can be better than an extra fortune die)? I debated letting that simply be an entire range band for 1 Aggression but seemed like too much.

Another option is to let monsters take extra maneouvers but have Misfortune dice on their next action.

Rob

Allowing monsters to use their A/C/E pool for extra Manouevres has definitely been discussed before and it seems a reasonable alternative.

There was also a good discussion here about using Perform A Stunt to allow an Action to be swapped for a Manouevre.

Using the A/C/E pool is actually a FFG sanctioned house rule. Comment on it appears in the FAQ, i think!

Another idea I liked around the time this was first discussed is that you gave a monster a manoeuvre pool (based on their toughness stat), so you got a number of manoeuvres for free that they could use. I liked it because it kind of mirrored the fatigue rules that PCs use to get their extra manoeuvres, kind of!

It was one extra thing to track though, and so when the A/C/E option came along, that seemed to work.

I track an A/C/E pool per NPC rather than per NPC group too, so the two balance out, and make the NPCs a little less prone to falling over and dying because they walked too far!

The current rules remind me a bit of the "Life of Brian" sketch, where the slave makes the gladiator run around the arena after him, and the gladiator end up having a heart attack!

Thanks, though I don't see any reference in FAQ/update to the use of A/C/E for this purpose.

Rob

You are right, how odd.

It was discussed on the forums previously, and I would have sworn that in the earlier version of the FAQ it appeared as the final paragraph in the additional manouvres section.

I wonder why FFG removed it, possibly a mistake on their part, or that they have decided its no longer appropriate for some of the future rules being developed?

I'm sure it was in there though, I don't think I'm going mad... (or at least getting any worse..)

Is it not a dependant effect of possessing Warhammer rules that madness must ensue?

Thanks again for all the feedback. Re ACE budget, I think that would also allow having impossed stress come out of the C/E portion of budget (which makes sense narratively to me).

Not sure if I would go so far as giving seperate ACE budgets but giving a resource to check off of To in fatigue seems easy to manage (just scrawl an F every time and when you have as many as To, you've exhausted it). I plan on having "encounter specific" print outs of monster/NPC sheets to use anyway.

Rob