How do most people play with the Mythos Card - Difficulty

By eagletsi111, in General Discussion

Been playing for a while now. Normally I just always randomize the Mythos cards, but now with such a large variety the last game we played 14 of the 16 mythos cards were hard, and of course we lost.

Was wondering what most people do to create the deck.

Do they Randomize

Set the difficulty by stage

or someother method? (State your method)

Thanks,,

If I'm introducing someone to the game, just the snowflake cards. If I'm playing with a mix of players (by skill) usually the normal cards and snowflake cards shuffled up so you don't know what you're going to get. And if it's only seasoned players a similar mix of tentacle cards and normal cards.

Only once have I played with only tentacle cards and I will never do that again. I'm not setting the game up for a half hour only to lose in less that that time. :(

All random, some games are exremely punishing, some games are very easy, most of the games are fun.

I follow the instructions.

I was thinking Snowflake for stage one, normal stage II and hard stage III.

Technically, since the rules say you may in change the difficulty, we are following the rules. I was just wondering others opinions

Just Remove Easy.

there's no place for Easy mythos cards in the game unless you are brand new or just terrible at the game.

Then you can stack, Normal stage 1, Mixed Stage 2, Hard Stage 3

i'll usually just do random however, as the first few turns of the game are very comfortable and feel like you have a good grasp before things start to spiral out of control, and a nice Hard Mythos is great to give players a sense of urgency to get off their asses and do something about it.

personally, it bothers me when people say sometimes the game is easy. well yea, no duh.. when the mythos cards are handing out items, blessings, and artifacts, it's kinda hard to lose isn't it?

I use the easy/normal cards. I have found playing with the hard cards is not fun for me.

Usually our group does all random, but I definitely see the advantage in controlling how many easy and hard cards get mixed in since they influence the game pretty heavily.

I'm completely random. What's more important to me is that I use Mythos cards that are from the same expansion as the Ancient One I'm using, just to keep things feeling thematic

When we play, we usually do the mix. After drawing cards i'll do the quick glance if the there are way more hard cards ill change one with the easy one, because during tough times, when the easy card comes up it gives a little comfort for turn, like there's little sunshine at the end of the road. So usually normal, hard mix with at least one easy card.

On 2.3.2017 at 11:23 PM, Runko said:

All random, some games are exremely punishing, some games are very easy, most of the games are fun.

Yes. All random. I wouldn't want it any other way :)

I load balance the difficulty by card color (currently using something akin to a bell curve....i.e. mostly standard cards). If there are nine yellow cards, I would use 2 hard, 5 standard, and 2 easy. I like knowing that there is a mix of card difficulty.

On 3/29/2017 at 7:24 AM, CryostaticLT said:

When we play, we usually do the mix. After drawing cards i'll do the quick glance if the there are way more hard cards ill change one with the easy one, because during tough times, when the easy card comes up it gives a little comfort for turn, like there's little sunshine at the end of the road. So usually normal, hard mix with at least one easy card.

lol, so you're not happy unless you win is what you're saying?

essentially when i think of easy cards, they are for beginners, yet, experienced players seem to use them more often than not as a means to buffer their ability to win over losing. then, i look at statistics where people say that the game is a 52% win to 48% loss, yet 15% of players are removing hard cards, and most are mixing the easy cards in.

the mythos phase should be a dreadful event, bad **** happens. yet you want blessings, free assets, +1 to skills and extra clues. i'm sorry this logic doesn't sit well with me. why the hell should there be sunshine at the end of the road? what is this? apples2apples?

3 hours ago, iGniGhted said:

lol, so you're not happy unless you win is what you're saying?

essentially when i think of easy cards, they are for beginners, yet, experienced players seem to use them more often than not as a means to buffer their ability to win over losing. then, i look at statistics where people say that the game is a 52% win to 48% loss, yet 15% of players are removing hard cards, and most are mixing the easy cards in.

the mythos phase should be a dreadful event, bad **** happens. yet you want blessings, free assets, +1 to skills and extra clues. i'm sorry this logic doesn't sit well with me. why the hell should there be sunshine at the end of the road? what is this? apples2apples?

You can play however you wish. But don't knock other people for following the rules just because you don't like it.

On 4/5/2017 at 7:43 PM, Matt620 said:

You can play however you wish. But don't knock other people for following the rules just because you don't like it.

i'll knock whoever the hell i want to. who are you, anyway? the pretentious police?

people pick up a box with a horrible tentacled monster and expect it to be candyland. it's not. almost 4 years of complaints about how hard the game is and how people hate to lose. i agree, some people want difficulty, some people want to win (every single game), but when you're tilting the odds in your favor, you better believe i'll call you out for it and knock you all day, it's mostly playful anyway, and i'm pretty sure none of the grown adults on this forum needs a white knight to come and protect them from some ancient evil on the internet.

on the other hand, i see people who have had the game since it came out in 2013 still using easy mythos cards. what gives?

some people can't stand losing, and that irks me. i'd prefer the statistics Tibs has graced us with actually reflect the game itself without the essence of getting handed easy victories to influence it. if you're embarrassed to be playing in tween mode, then stop it, and enter the adult phase of the turn. ;D

Is using broken characters like Ursula Downs also dishonoring your vision of the game?

Where do you draw the line of what is "proper" ?

5 hours ago, Runko said:

Is using broken characters like Ursula Downs also dishonoring your vision of the game?

Where do you draw the line what is broken and what is not?

Can't we all just agree to disagree? - You are kind of moving away farther and farther from the purpose of this thread.

---

Back to the topic. We use every card, all random. Without setting difficulty and/or adjusting anything for the Mythos cards.

Some games or harder, some are easier. We like it this way. [Still, our overall score is horrible compared to any who post here or on BGG. Go figure. :)]

Edited by Lorinor
22 hours ago, Runko said:

maybe she wouldn't feel as "broken" if you weren't using all easy mythos there princess.

;0)

personally i have no problem with any investigator over another, while some are obviously better at certain things than others in their class. i only have 1 houserule for my investigators, and that is that no investigator abilities can be used on an effect from an ancient one's sheet. ie, Ursula doesn't work with Ithaqua, Wendy doesn't work with Hastur.

other than that, with escalating difficulty, or even just all easy removed, you'll find that some of the strongest characters can get trounced.

i had one game where Harrigan saved the day, was able to buff his willpower, find a lightning gun, and become an almost unstoppable force. does he suck? uh yea, kind of, i mean i don't believe i ever used either of his abilities that game.

take the easy element out, you'll find it has less to do with who you are and more to do with how you play. i saw a group playing a few nights ago, turn 9 didn't even get a single Eldritch token on the first mystery, everyone too busy buying assets, going on expeditions, closing gates and buffing their characters. needless to say they lost to Atlach Nacha, who wakes rather quickly.

or start the game with blessings, +2 to each skill, 1 artifact each, and 3 clues a piece. just make sure your mommy leaves out the scary stuff on the encounter cards. :P

Edited by iGniGhted
6 hours ago, iGniGhted said:

maybe she wouldn't feel as "broken" if you weren't using all easy mythos there princess.

We don't. I just have no beef with people who do, since it is none of my business.

On 4/14/2017 at 4:37 PM, iGniGhted said:

i'll knock whoever the hell i want to. who are you, anyway? the pretentious police?

people pick up a box with a horrible tentacled monster and expect it to be candyland. it's not. almost 4 years of complaints about how hard the game is and how people hate to lose. i agree, some people want difficulty, some people want to win (every single game), but when you're tilting the odds in your favor, you better believe i'll call you out for it and knock you all day, it's mostly playful anyway, and i'm pretty sure none of the grown adults on this forum needs a white knight to come and protect them from some ancient evil on the internet.

on the other hand, i see people who have had the game since it came out in 2013 still using easy mythos cards. what gives?

some people can't stand losing, and that irks me. i'd prefer the statistics Tibs has graced us with actually reflect the game itself without the essence of getting handed easy victories to influence it. if you're embarrassed to be playing in tween mode, then stop it, and enter the adult phase of the turn. ;D

Looking at the cards and picking the ones you want is cheating, that's against the rules. And that's irrelevant to whether or not the cards are easy ones or hard ones. If your house rules are different, fine. But people aren't required to play by your house rules, and they aren't cheating or wimps or whatever if they don't.

Plus, it goes against the nature of the game. The whole point of the Mythos in general is that, with the exception of the Crawling Chaos, the Mythos, the GOO's and all of that, are indifferent to humanity. They can slaughter them and drive them insane, but that assigns human thought processes to creatures that are, by definition, not human. They have their own goals. They are alien. That is the point.

Also, this is a game. You're throwing a temper tantrum because people don't play the way you want. My house rules allows for more than one Prelude, because my team is so fond of the Mystic Ruins encounter, we use it in every playthrough. I've won every game I've ever played. Am I cheating now? Am I a wimp? I don't care if you think I do. I also use Mythos cards from the same expansion as the Ancient One in play, only using the main game if I don't have enough. It seems thematic (and it makes cleanup easier). Some of them are easy ones.

Matt, nobody is throwing a tantrum, it's all in good fun. but yes I would say your 100% winrate is a bit suspect.

4 hours ago, Meretrix said:

Matt, nobody is throwing a tantrum, it's all in good fun. but yes I would say your 100% winrate is a bit suspect.

Perhaps I don't know this guy, but he seems to be throwing a hissy fit about people who play with easy cards.

I don't understand why the rate is suspect. My team is pretty well coordinated (We've known each other for a long time), none of us grandstand and try to do everything, and we only take huge risks when we have to.

Whenever I hear these tales of easy victories it always turns out to be either missed/ overlooked rules or houserules that favor the investigators more than intended. The nature of this game with it's different ancient ones, investigators and luck make a legitimate 100% win rate highly unlikely.

Edited by Meretrix

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the only house rules I have are that more than one Prelude is permitted, and Mythos cards are to be used from the same deck as the Ancient One unless it's not possible, in which case the core game's mythos cards can fill in. I'm sorry that my success implies to you that I've somehow played the game wrong.