Ramstrosity Battle Report - Pittsburgh Regional

By ardneh42, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

Round 1

My opponent named JD was running an ISD2, Arq, Gonz lifeboat with Screed and a Rhymer ball with one shuttle for relay.
He had a small bid and chose to go second, I picked his fighter ambush objective.
He placed his obstacles spread out along the edge of my deployment zone.
He started by deploying his ISD on the right side of the board with the Arq, and lifeboat screed on the left behind some asteroids.
I deployed Jaina’s Light and Rieekan on the far left knowing that he could fighter ambush Rieekan but then all his fighters would be out of the fight after that. Jaina was deployed over there to go hunt down Screed. All the remaining corvettes were arranged to go after the ISD and Arq. He deployed his fighters to go after Rieekan.
Turn 1 he managed to kill Rieekan, so I had to be very careful with how I flew my corvettes from there on out.
I lost a few corvettes, but managed to kill all of his ships by the end of turn 5. He picked up 3 tokens from the scenario for killing Rieekan.

8-3 Victory

After this round Chris and Angelo had 9, I had 8, Biggs had 7, and Weston had 6.

Round 2
My opponent was Biggs and he was running a MC80 Liberty, Pelta, 2 GR75s, and a bunch of red bombers (Xs and Es) along with some named Rebel Squads.
Biggs went first, and picked my Capture the VIP objective.
Biggs set up in the center of the board and I set up spread to the sides of his fleet.
He then used his Pelta and GR75s to act as ablative armor and protect his Liberty from the ramming corvettes.
Biggs started spamming Eng commands on turn 3 on his Liberty and since I had been unable to get to it early because of him protecting it I broke off the attack on turn 5.
I managed a 5 point MOV win for a 6-5 Victory.
Luckily the top table also went 6-5

After this round Chris had 15, I was tied with Angelo and Weston at 14 and Biggs had 12.

Round 3
My opponent was Angelo and he was running a MC80 Home One, a MC80 Liberty, 6 YT2400s and 2 YT1300s.
He picked to go second, and I picked his advanced gunnery objective knowing he would have to choose his Home One since his Liberty already had gunnery teams on it. This seemed to throw him for a loop that I would pick that objective, but I knew I would only be giving him a single round of double shooting at red range before I rammed him to death as long as everything went to plan.
He placed his Liberty in the middle of the board with all of his fighters and his Home One on the left side of the board. I placed my corvettes mainly stacked against his Home One to make sure I got the bonus 103 points, and two corvettes on the far right to chase his Liberty if it turned to help out Home One.
Turn two I got three double rams off on Home One, he turned the Liberty to help it out. I put My two corvettes on the right chasing right behind it, and turned two other corvettes into the nose of the Liberty to pin it in place.
First activation of turn three I ram Home One to death, and since he is unable to move his Liberty since my corvettes are blocking his movement we decide to call it with him being tabled and me losing the two corvettes that were blocking him.
10-1 Victory

I ended with 24, Chris ended in second with 23 or 22 with a MOV Tiebreaker, Biggs had 22, and Weston had 17 or 18.

All four of the top places attended the breakfast club, so we kept the streak going on the Armada breakfast.

The venue was great and the event was very smoothly run, also as a bonus on top of everything I won from FFG they also gave me a cookie cake for winning the event.

After I went out to dinner with Stasy and Weston and had a great dinner with some delicious beers while it started to snow outside.

16996424_1894791377425395_3510877879916538071_n.jpg

I haven't read it yet, but I just want you to know:

You are the worst .

-----------------------------------------------------

Okay, read it now. Sounds like you played it well. I have to say I'm impressed that you managed to do well in that first game despite having lost Rieekan early. Really awesome tactics on Biggs' part, too--I would love to have seen that one.

Congrats on your win, and welcome to the Good Guys! I really hope I don't get matched against you at Worlds... >.>

Edited by Ardaedhel

Another great report. Very impressive with what you were able to do. Another great player I'm glad to have played against and a stellar competitor.

:)

17 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

You are the worst .

I can feel the love.

4 hours ago, ardneh42 said:

I can feel the love.

This whole "Ard" thing, am I missing it? I am glad that you didn't run the SW:7 Swarm. How dirty do you feel running a rebel ram swarm?

Congrats, dude! Nice work.

Sorry, but this is just a sad development in armada. Don't get me wrong though: it's entirely legit, and it's great that this abomination is shown in all it's dark glory.

Ramming, effectively dealing unstoppable dice less damage AFTER moving, in a game built around shoot-then-move and custom dice.

Meh.

Edited by Green Knight
11 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Sorry, but this is just a sad development in armada. Don't get me wrong though: it's entirely legit, and it's great that this abomination is shown in all it's dark glory.

Ramming, effectively dealing unstoppable dice less damage AFTER moving, in a game built around shoot-then-move and custom dice.

Meh.

I'm sort of with you on this.

I know it works and I don't want to remove ramming from the game, but it loses the "spectacle" of a Star Wars capital ship battle.

Theory time:

How best to stop 7x Rieekan'd CR90s going at full tilt?

• Tooled up interdictor list?
  • Just fly past them and hit them with Squadrons?
  • Build a brick ISD/MC80 for them so smash themselves against?
6 minutes ago, Artifixprime said:

I know it works and I don't want to remove ramming from the game, but it loses the "spectacle" of a Star Wars capital ship battle.

Theory time:

An MC80 would fold to this very quickly, no matter how tooled up it is. What crushes this is what Ard mentioned elsewhere, Motti ISDs with Rhymer to follow up.

...but do we really need moah Motti ISD Rhymerballs!? :P

24 minutes ago, Artifixprime said:

Theory time:

Repair dials.

Thats how easy it is.

3 isd with Motti, RBD and repair dials!!!

29 minutes ago, Sharego said:

3 isd with Motti, RBD and repair dials!!!

Motti, 2ISD 2Raider 2Gozanti is a better choice. I almost brought that to Pittsburg.

1 minute ago, pt106 said:

Motti, 2ISD 2Raider 2Gozanti is a better choice. I almost brought that to Pittsburg.

What MOV do I get for killing both raiders and gozanti?

13 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

What MOV do I get for killing both raiders and gozanti?

111 (or 135 if you catch Motti)

Fine by me

3 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Fine by me

And to win you will need to lose less than 3 corvettes in the process. Won't be easy as Raiders won't die from 2 double-rams

So I have to ask ardneh42, it seems you didn't care with your list whether you were going first or last. What would have been your preference if you got to choose?

Yep. I feel like the natural counter to the list is the same thing that makes it work. More hull. Motti gives it automatically, RBDs give it if you're good enough.

But I also feel that relayed squad commands/rogue would work as well.

And list makeup aside, finding a way to tactically maneuver such that the swarm can't chase you effectively for fear of bumping into itself. They'd be force fed to powerful arcs, 2 or 3 at once.

Objective wise, precision strike could be fantastic. Turn those facedown cards face up so that they can't get rid of them. But that also really backfires when you've got a pile of facedowns and the swarm is probably double arcing you. Minefields with strategic squadrons would be a real challenge for it to overcome. Don't know about yellows, though hyperspace Assault could save you a medium size ship and give you the jump on some missile

14 minutes ago, Parkdaddy said:

Objective wise, precision strike could be fantastic. Turn those facedown cards face up so that they can't get rid of them. But that also really backfires when you've got a pile of facedowns and the swarm is probably double arcing you. Minefields with strategic squadrons would be a real challenge for it to overcome. Don't know about yellows, though hyperspace Assault could save you a medium size ship and give you the jump on some missile

Station Assault can be a good choice for red (A potential for a double heal as well as points). Yellow - Fire Lanes? nothing really strikes me as a good one. Dangerous Territory may be a hidden surprise as those corvettes now are forces to damage themselves to get those points.

35 minutes ago, pt106 said:

Station Assault can be a good choice for red (A potential for a double heal as well as points). Yellow - Fire Lanes? nothing really strikes me as a good one. Dangerous Territory may be a hidden surprise as those corvettes now are forces to damage themselves to get those points.

Great points, especially with station assault. And, as the discussion of objectives went on the main forum, that one was a popular pick for many successful lists.

The trick is, against this type of list, you mostly want the initiative (I would think) to keep your biggest target moving. But then again, ETd corvettes don't care because they'll catch it anyways. So either having those strong objective choices (really thinking that HA will be strongest Yellow for this one, possibly relayed fighter Ambush) or confidence in using initiative to sink some vettes (gunnery teams, Xi7) will be instrumental in figuring out how to beat it

DT really isn't that bad of an objective for first player corvette swarm. It's the main reason I always put Jaina's Light in my list. Two points and I can secure at least two of the objective tokens with no damage, maybe three if the battle goes my way.

I think pt106's idea of ISDs and Raiders is the best option. Triple ISD isn't that good of an idea IMO because they tend to trip over themselves and it's honestly just not that hard to stay out of an ISDs front arc. MC30s and Raiders are the bane of my existence as a corvette player. They are like mobile minefields that either force me toward their close range arcs or they force me toward the big ships arcs.

I really do hope that such a ram spam list wins the next world championship. Then the whining will be so loud (including mine) that such monstrosities will eventually be FAQed away.

@Ginkapo I was kind of looking forward to seeing your ram-spam version go up against @Ardaedhel 's MC30 MSU. Have you tried a similar matchup?

45 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

@Ginkapo I was kind of looking forward to seeing your ram-spam version go up against @Ardaedhel 's MC30 MSU. Have you tried a similar matchup?

That would be hilarious. Both one shotting each other pretty much