Showcase: TIE/ln Fighter

By Piscopas, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Greetings, Galactic Citizens.

The X-wing thread last week was awesome! There were a lot of great repaints and plenty of inspiration for future projects. Now, it's time for the most iconic Imperial ship, the TIE/ln Space Superiority Starfighter .

I want to take better pictures of mine, so I'll post later this evening.

Let's see your take on the humble TIE Fighter!

Back To Index

Edited by Piscopas

I haven't really done many TIE-fighters as I find the Imperials hardest to paint and kinda like them in their original colours most :) but I did want to have a WAMPA! repaint and did this one over a year ago when my painting skills were still very primitive :P Wampa-front.jpg

My TIEs were the first ships I repainted, in a way as a reward to Howlrunner and her Obsidians for bringing down Han in tournament.

So here they are, Obsidian 3 "Sunburst", Obsidian 4 "Frenzy" and Obsidian 5 "Checkmate":

Obsidian3.jpg Obsidian5.jpg Obsidian6.jpg

And here is my attempt to represent Howlrunner with some nose art:

Xwing4b.jpg

TIE%201_zpskrmebai0.jpg

The Emperor's Finest. But not really, let's be honest.

Also: respect to anyone who repaints one of these guys, I found them to be one of the most maddeningly fiddly things in X-Wing to repaint, especially if you're changing the wing panels and ESPECIALLY if you're doing them in white.

Possibly only exceeded by the Defender.

Edited by You Look Like A Nail
Forgetfulness

Here are mine:

Front:
IMG_20160106_140438_zpspldd9enh.jpg

Back:
IMG_20160106_140532_zpsxick9xss.jpg

Wing markings and Howlrunner:
IMG_20160817_092219_zpsyvby2jmg.jpg

Here are mine, from the Crimson Empire. I find the Imperial ships to be the hardest for me, due to the whole mass-production ideology of the Imperial navy. I'm liking what I see here of squad markings and like, but I need a great deal more practice before I can do anything...not bad. Ha.

YNDf89l.jpg

Edited by Kleeg005
fix links...again

Here are my TIEs.

I generally have a hard time keeping same model ships with the same paint job straight, so I made my 3 TIEs different, but within what I would guess are Imperial standards.

7WDuG09.jpg

Edited by Force Majeure

Ooohh Some nice re-paints here......Loving the Battle damage Velvetelis :D

Here's a couple of my Simple Tie repaints.

0PUgYl.jpg

V3ZKt2.jpg

They are a big canvas for some to enjoy going mad on, but I tend to like them more simple with the standard fighters.

But I did try messing about with one and gave it some new wings and Engine layout..................

2JhMMf.jpg

qiTZyH.jpg

its not until it gets to the Exotics like Punishers and Defenders where I like to.....Really Cut them up and go daft :P

Looking forward to seeing more Re-paints.

All the best, Barry.

Edited by Barry Harker

I wanted to keep mine simple with a "Royal Guard TIE" scheme.

IMG_0584.JPG

I forgot to post my pictures!

Orange Leader -- "Jefe"

31931300574_02ec76107b.jpg

Orange 2 -- "Kingpin"

31931301274_e6312b6675.jpg

Orange 3 -- "Maxine"

31931301044_a6b877640e.jpg

Orange 4 -- "Hemmorhoid"

31931302074_33ec648615.jpg
31931301614_ffab45037d.jpg

:) Feel intimidated in this particular locker room

backstabber_zpspvcvbxkq.jpg

Love the Aurabesh!

Some beauts in here. My only TIE painting is on the one I use for whatever ace happens to be the most prominent at the time;

IMG_0626.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg

@Piscopas That orange really works well on TIEs. Who knew?

Do most of your ships have call signs? "Hem" needs to apply some Bacta cream as soon as the mission is over. Poor guy!

21 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

@Piscopas That orange really works well on TIEs. Who knew?

Do most of your ships have call signs? "Hem" needs to apply some Bacta cream as soon as the mission is over. Poor guy!

Yeah, I like the orange on them.

As for the callsigns, I generally assign one once the ship is painted. For me, wargaming is all about storytelling, and it's so much more satisfying when your minis have "personality" rather than just being TIE Fighter #42. I actually keep a record in my commonplace book with my various fleets...how many I want, how many I own, how many are painted, etc. Obsessive? Perhaps. Does it bring me an odd sense of enjoyment? Of course! Here's a shot of my Rebel Fleet page.

32786731975_69ba8d586f.jpg

Very organized. That sense of enjoyment is probably like the one I get from making squad lists and then making iteration upon iteration on the same list. Even though they're all online, I have a whole binder full of the printed lists.

"Want" is the open box, "Have" is marked with an "X" and Painted is the blacked out box? What do you do when an extra ship shows up that your hadn't planned for?
For example, you have 4 T-70s. Did you have 3 prior to getting the Heroes of the Resistance, or is Black One your fifth T-70?

Yup. You've got the system figured out. So far, I haven't had any "unplanned" minis show up. If you look at the T70s, for instance, you'll see that I planned to get 2 from the Starter, 1 from the Expansion, and 1 from the Heroes box. I didn't get into the game until right around the time Wave 9 released, so I've been pretty careful about planning my purchases. If I were to end up with a "spare" T70, I'd probably paint it up to represent one of the named pilots from the game. And...I can always add more checkboxes!

16 hours ago, Sbloom141 said:

Some beauts in here. My only TIE painting is on the one I use for whatever ace happens to be the most prominent at the time;

IMG_0626.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg

The paint job is spectacular! How long did this take to paint?

On February 7, 2017 at 9:37 PM, juxstapo said:

:) Feel intimidated in this particular locker room

backstabber_zpspvcvbxkq.jpg

Freehand inn Aurabesh that small is no easy task, are you doing that in more miniatures?

I painted this today just so I had something to contribute to this showcase! You can see and read more about it over in my own (totally-not-solicited) art thread.

loRDrkS.jpg

Edited by almagester
10 hours ago, Jaffamaster said:

The paint job is spectacular! How long did this take to paint?

Thank you and it didn't actually take that long from what I remember, a couple of hours? It's just freehand over the base paint job. Close up I think it's a bit sloppy but tabletop wise it certainly works!

The hardest bit was making it look 'right' over the raised strut.

Amazing, it really draws the eye. Simply beautiful.

No solo shot I'm afraid.

P1250022_zpswesrdv8z.jpg

Pin Ups! :D

TNbBTsA.jpg?2

j5RN5cK.png