Where to road to legend could lead

By Tokatasa, in Road to Legend

Disclaimer: I'm not a native english speaker, so I'll just aplologize here.

If you played Descent 1st Edition - Sea of Blood | Road to Legend, just skip to the words written in bolt. Otherwise, delve into the past with me.

When Descent 1st Edition came out, it had 2 types of Expansions: 3 "More of the same" Expansions, wich where good but didn't change much. And then there were Road to Legend (wich the app is names after) and Sea of Blood - Two Campain Expansions. Those featured a additional board for Terrinoth, Containing Dungeons, Towns, Secret Trainers and so on. So what is the main difference to Descent 2nd Edition Campain Mode?

- Traveling the Map & Freedom : The heroes could travel the map, decide where to go by themselfes. The Dungeons were Random generated (In that you drew cards for each dungeon layer), you had some fighting travel events, and: You had no questline you had to follow. In D2, you have your obligatory main quests, with some side quests. D1 Campain, you only mainly had those side quests.

- Ol - not just a bystander: What kept the heroes on track you might ask? Well, the lieutannants of the overlord weren't just (mini)bosses for the campain: They traveled the world, questing towards one of the secret goals he chose, hunting heroes, blocking off paths, laying siege to cities

- Cities - different, more than one: Cities were diverse - you could learn skills just in the citiy, that tought those skills. Necromancy? Nerekhall. Need a Tatoo? Go to that city. City destroyed? Bad luck, u won't get this skill anymore.

So what do I want to say with this post?

My hopes are, that past the nerekhall campain, we will a campain similiar to D1. Not just the same 5 quests we will have to run, with some sidequests beside them, but a world map we can travel, questing random quests on the way (idealy, beautifully presented, as they currently are, something the app does way better than the random d1 quests), citiy actions like "Go to the tavern, pay for a round of beer, fetch a quest you may follow". While that, the Ki-Overlord lets his minions roam over the map, sieging cities, furthering his dark goals, while the heroes try to stop him during leveling up. This all then leads to a big, final showdown against the overlord.

Further thoughts: (On things like: Why should FFG do this, what would they sell?)

- For people whoe enjoyed the month-long campains of D1, there could be a physical upgrade pack, allowing for more skills and items, as well as one or two new monster tiers for the campain, to give heroes something to learn over the month. (Because, if you had a longer campain, heroes would be learned-out realy quick)

- For the big overlord showdown, for a long campain the lietannants woudn't be enough. There could be overlord mini-Expansions, featuring some unique tiles for the boss battle, a miniature, and a special ruleset

-

While the original Road to Legend is a wonderful game, I think Second Edition does a good job at using a linear series of quests as a campaign.

It's very difficult to replicate the sense of scale offered by the original game using the existing mechanics of Second Edition.

Attempting to replicate the original would end up feeling watered-down.

Rather than have Second Edition fall short, I think it should take a different direction and focus on creating good campaigns of its own style.

That way, people can have choices between the two editions based on how they like to play.

(Edit: For example, while I agree real-time map travel and strategy is attractive, it might be difficult to do this and keep the campaign a reasonable length.)

Edited by Artaterxes