Skirmish Fixes For Older Deployments

By cnemmick, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

I tried running the AT-ST and the SC2-M with a built-in +1 BLOCK. It was definitely too much for the AT-ST -- just about any two-die attack that didn't involve the red die was cast aside. It was also tough with the SC2-M, when you could use Defensible to make it +2 BLOCK.

Plus, since all of these massive vehicles are Imperial, they can also tack on another BLOCK with Zillo Technique. I didn't test them with Zillo, but I can't imagine it being fun to play against.

What I haven't tested is this new change, where the vehicles start with a BLOCK TOKEN. I figured it would give the player the opportunity to "Zillo" once without actually spending a Command card... especially when you roll 1 BLOCK 1 EVADE on the two AT-ST's black dice. With some of the new Leader command cards coming out, there's a good chance a player will be able to assign additional BLOCK TOKEN.

I understand why y'all would want Assault + a Beast Tamer once-per-round move on these massive vehicles. But I was concerned it might make these massive figures (that roll defense dice) too good at blocking 2-space-wide hallways from opponents. I was also afraid that these vehicles might suffer the same fate as E-Web Engineers: When you activate it, there are no targets in line-of-sight that you could Assault. That's why I went with the free, smaller attack.

But I like the idea of a hard-shooting walker w/ movement options. We could definitely try it out! Maybe something like this:

Unique Elite Skirmish Upgrade Card: Imperial Retrofitting

Cost: 0

Reduce the deployment cost for each AT-ST & General Weiss by 3, SC2-M Repulsor Tank by 2.

SC2-M Repulsor Tanks also gain: Health +2. Focus Fire now requires only one Special Action.

AT-ST & General Weiss also gains: Assault: You can perform multiple attacks during your activation.

Exhaust this card at the start of a AT-ST, General Weiss or SC2-M activation. That figure may gain 1 BLOCK TOKEN or may perform a move.

Let me know if you guys try this out and like it.

Edited by cnemmick

I kind of like the idea that a regular attack just bounces off the AT-ST. Better bring the big tree trunks to take down that bad boy. :D

I'm having a tough time with Lando. I *really* want to make him a 3-die attacker... but doing so will make him a Hiding/Stunning machine, and I really don't want to get rid of that ability.

Thanks to a good suggestion from Alfonso Planas, I've got Lando's extra die to be a blue:

Unique Skirmish Attachment Card: General Calrissian (Lando Calrissian only)

Cost: 0

You lose "+2 Accuracy". Add one blue die to your attack pool.

While attacking or defending, your opponent cannot force you to reroll a die or remove a die you've rerolled.

But I'm afraid the extra blue die probably increases Lando's surge output where he can Hide/Stun easily if Lando chooses to reroll the yellow and makes it red (Giving him Green/Blue/Red -- one of the best 3-die DMG combos -- w/ Hide/Stun).

The goal is to get Lando to do a bit more damage and have a bit more versatility in choosing a reroll die on attacks. Should I leave Lando at a 2-die attack & give him a static +1 DMG? Or maybe let him be Focused for every attack?

Lando Calrissian- Scoundrel, Cost 6.

Inherent Skills: +2 Accuracy, +2 Damage

Surge Skills: Surge: +2 Accuracy, Surge: Hide/Stun, Surge: Pierce 2

Dice pool: Green/Green

Like Bossk, giving him 2 inherent accuracy and 2 damage is sort of like giving him an extra green die with a fixed result to limit his surge potential. That should give him a little more reliable range and damage potential without making him overpowered. This will reduce his surge potential slightly, but you should have one to use if you don't require it for accuracy. He's a little more flexible, a little more ranged, and you kind of have to plan a little more to get that extra continuous surge from the Hidden condition.

Edited by Fightwookies

@Tvboy 's How do you Chewie? post got me thinking about Wookie tweaks.

Like I said in that post, Wookies as a trait is basically "Rebel Creatures". If you made Wookies into Creatures, you'd have Ferocity and Survival Instincts to use. (Can you imagine having Chewbacca with +1 BLOCK and +1 EVADE for a full round?) But I don't think making Wookies into Creatures is the best answer, since I don't think Beast Tamer or Feeding Frenzy should be allowed on imported Wookies to a Merc list. Wild Fury would still be awful. Roar is I guess okay, though it seems it should be reworked to be a "during your activation" free action instead of a special action.

Looking directly at Wookie-only cards, I like Adrenaline as is. Wookie Rage does need a rework, either by reducing the cost or by making it free action instead of a special action. The new Battle Scars is excellent. Fury of Kashyyyk costs too much when the least expensive Wookie deployment card costs 8.

It seems like most of the problems w/ Wookies are individual to each deployment. Chewbacca's has already been addressed w/ FFG; Drokkatta should already be decent due to the new skirmish design goals implemented by FFG during Jabba's Realm. So I'm going to take a stab at the other deployments & some command card tweaks to make Wookies worth their cost in your list.

• Fury of Kashyyyk cost reduced to 1
  • Skirmish Attachment Card for Gaarkhan below. I actually just changed this from my overcost document to be Health +3 instead of Health +2.

Unique Skirmish Attachment Card: Ferocious Warrior (Gaarkhan only) Cost: 0

Increase Health +3.

When an adjacent friendly figure is defending, you may suffer 1 DMG to add 1 BLOCK to the defense results. Limit once per attack.

• Wookie Warriors and Elite Wookie Warriors gain the following (via a Skirmish Upgrade, not attachment):
    • => Blitz: Move up to 2 spaces and then perform an attack on an adjacent hostile figure or object.
    • If you have not resolved an activation this round, you cannot be defeated.
  • Add "Wookie" to the command card Ferocity
  • The command card Wookie Rage now costs 1.

Thoughts?

Edited by cnemmick

Finally got a chance to play with @Bitterman 's Deployment Card constructor ... and used it as an opportunity to rework some of my fixes for existing unique Rebel deployments!

https://imgur.com/a/kCWOe

Edit: Did a quick hotfix on Fenn's card... he can now move any figure within 3 spaces (not just a Trooper) and can reroll a die on attacks.

Edited by cnemmick
Quick Fenn fix.

I did it! After several playtests, i've managed to complete a list of hotfix for those unique figures who were abandoned by the competitive play.
I'm seriously interested in hearing your opinions, therefore here you go! Enjoy! Use them to play and provide with more feedback!
P.S. : Sorry for the huge post >.<

Deployment_Card_Empire_Field_Commander_S Deployment_Card_Empire_ISB_Interrogator_ Deployment_Card_Empire_Royal_Duty_Skirmi Deployment_Card_Empire_Squad_Commander_S Deployment_Card_Empire_Tech_Officer_Skir Deployment_Card_Mercenaries_Mandalorian_ Deployment_Card_Mercenaries_Ruthless_Hun Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Battle_Technic Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Fierce_Warrior Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Force_Ghost_Sk Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Haunted_Exile_ Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Heart_of_the_R Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Lone_Wolf_Skir Deployment_Card_Rebellion_One_True_Cheat Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Opportunist_Sk Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Ready_for_Serv Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Rebel_Quarterm Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Sensitive_Skir Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Stealth_Tactic Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Trained_Sniper Deployment_Card_Rebellion_Vengeful_Guerr

Edited by erlucius90

I think Ko-Tun Feralo is fine as it is consider she JUST got released. Is there some reason that you feel she's underpowered?

2 minutes ago, ricope said:

I think Ko-Tun Feralo is fine as it is consider she JUST got released. Is there some reason that you feel she's underpowered?

She's not underpowered imo, but her cost is high and rebels already have their best support unit (a.k.a. C-3PO who costs 2 and Gideon who costs 3).
The two of them cost almost half lower than Ko-Tun and are more effective as supports, so i wanted to give more credit to a radical change in the point of view ;)

@erlucius90 Here's some constructive thoughts I'd like to share about your changes:

• Your Loku with an improved Set Your Sights and at cost 2 might be my favorite of the bunch. Blue/Red with a reroll and adds to the Spy count for your list is incredible. I'll keep my Loku at cost 4 since I gave it an additional attack.
  • I think looking over your changes has reminded me that the Rebel uniques really do need cost changes as much as they need ability changes. Somebody putting together a Heroic Effort list should be able to get 7-8 Deployments in their list to make it worthwhile. But at the same time, a Rebel a single-figure deployment should be able to do more than the average unique figure. It's a tough balance!
  • Surprised to see Agent Blaise in your list. Honestly, I think he's just fine the way he is -- good abilities, good cost -- and with Cross-Training, Imperial Spy lists can be potent. But that special action that you gave him to look in the opponent's command deck is something nasty (in a good way)!
  • The best thing we could do to Kayn Somos is reduce his deployment cost. Currently I have his skirmish upgrade at -2, and I might be able to make an argument to make it -3 in my next set of changes.
  • Even with the +3 in health, your Diala is still very unplayable. Shattering Blow may seem pretty powerful, but it's still just one attack per round... doing Red/Green damage (maximum: 5 DMG) to one target and maybe Cleave 2 if you're lucky. I really threw a lot of stuff at my Diala so I could feel she's a viable option versus Obi-Wan (better attack averages even w/o Shattering Blow thanks to SURGE for +2 DMG, black die plus inherent EVADE) or Ahsoka (much more mobile, about the same attack output).
  • Heart of the Rebellion is interesting. I haven't considered giving a fix to Leia because -- considering she does Military Efficiency & Battlefield Leadership -- I don't think Leia is too bad for her cost. Increasing her health would definitely improve her odds to surviving past round 2. You'll have to reword this card to allow On A Diplomatic Mission to attach to Leia as well as this attachment, since deployment cards can only have one Skirmish Attachment at the time.
  • I like your Saska Teft attachment to bring the device tokens back into the game. I ended up doing something similar by just handing out the new power tokens at the start of the game.
  • General Sorin needs lots of help, but I don't know if he should be the same deployment cost as an Elite Imperial Officer. I found in testing that giving Droids and Vehicles (like elite Jet Troopers) access to another SURGE for +2 DMG is game-breaking.
  • I'm in love with power tokens too, but I don't think buffing Ko-Tun is really necessary now. I am incorporating them into several of my fixes.

Ko-Tun doesn't need a fix. She is 1-point overcosted but she does fine in a trooper list and rangers don't need any more support than they already have. She really just needs to give herself a power token, but that doesn't really warrant a whole new card.

Giving a power token to every adjacent figure as well boosting her own attack from a focused reg alliance ranger to a focused elite alliance ranger is probably broken with elite alliance rangers. Nothing will survive that long range alpha strike.

3 minutes ago, cnemmick said:

@erlucius90 Here's some constructive thoughts I'd like to share about your changes:

• Your Loku with an improved Set Your Sights and at cost 2 might be my favorite of the bunch. Blue/Red with a reroll and adds to the Spy count for your list is incredible. I'll keep my Loku at cost 4 since I gave it an additional attack.

Thanks! :) and yeah i can comprehend your point of giving another shoot for 4 cost;

4 minutes ago, cnemmick said:
  • I think looking over your changes has reminded me that the Rebel uniques really do need cost changes as much as they need ability changes. Somebody putting together a Heroic Effort list should be able to get 7-8 Deployments in their list to make it worthwhile. But at the same time, a Rebel a single-figure deployment should be able to do more than the average unique figure. It's a tough balance!

I DON'T want to focus on Heroic Effort, that card is already too much on the meta. What i'm trying to do is to make more things competitive, that's why i'd like to see mixed lists, with some heroes and some "troops"

6 minutes ago, cnemmick said:
  • Surprised to see Agent Blaise in your list. Honestly, I think he's just fine the way he is -- good abilities, good cost -- and with Cross-Training, Imperial Spy lists can be potent. But that special action that you gave him to look in the opponent's command deck is something nasty (in a good way)!

Agent Blaise is going down, he's on the edge of unplayability atm, his health pool at the moment is too short to survive one well placed strike (like Vader's), he's 100% dead in Turn 2, sometimes you can't even strike once with him that he's dead already >.<
He's definitely good, in facts i didn't touch his surges and attack rateo, but i felt like he seriously needed something worth spending 6 points on him and not 7 on eJets and that can do the trick!

10 minutes ago, cnemmick said:
  • The best thing we could do to Kayn Somos is reduce his deployment cost. Currently I have his skirmish upgrade at -2, and I might be able to make an argument to make it -3 in my next set of changes.

Not really! I tested a full Trooper list with Kayn, Palpatine, 2x ejets, Dewback, rOfficer and 1 upgrade and it works hella well (palpatine make people shoot, kayne makes people shoot from 2 spaces which is fantastic, so you get a lot of strikes in 1 round). You should try that!

13 minutes ago, cnemmick said:
  • Even with the +3 in health, your Diala is still very unplayable. Shattering Blow may seem pretty powerful, but it's still just one attack per round... doing Red/Green damage (maximum: 5 DMG) to one target and maybe Cleave 2 if you're lucky. I really threw a lot of stuff at my Diala so I could feel she's a viable option versus Obi-Wan (better attack averages even w/o Shattering Blow thanks to SURGE for +2 DMG, black die plus inherent EVADE) or Ahsoka (much more mobile, about the same attack output).

I believe Diala has to be normally "weaker" than Obi-Wan and Ahsoka, but still with High Command Diala is still able to punish badly (definitely more than Davith now), then sure she's not tier 1, but that's something i wanted overall :/

16 minutes ago, cnemmick said:
  • Heart of the Rebellion is interesting. I haven't considered giving a fix to Leia because -- considering she does Military Efficiency & Battlefield Leadership -- I don't think Leia is too bad for her cost. Increasing her health would definitely improve her odds to surviving past round 2. You'll have to reword this card to allow On A Diplomatic Mission to attach to Leia as well as this attachment, since deployment cards can only have one Skirmish Attachment at the time.

Leia with 8 health is unplayable, more than Blaise. She will vaporize in no time. Heart of the Rebellion is a must to make her a true pain in the azz again (ofc i made HotR in order not to count it for the purpose to have On a Diplomatic Mission, maybe i will add the specific)

18 minutes ago, cnemmick said:
  • I like your Saska Teft attachment to bring the device tokens back into the game. I ended up doing something similar by just handing out the new power tokens at the start of the game.

IMHO Imperial Assault offer a lot of things to diversify the playstyles, so why forgetting about them? :P Saska was born that way, with her tokens, so i wonder why she shouldn't use them ;)

19 minutes ago, cnemmick said:
  • General Sorin needs lots of help, but I don't know if he should be the same deployment cost as an Elite Imperial Officer. I found in testing that giving Droids and Vehicles (like elite Jet Troopers) access to another SURGE for +2 DMG is game-breaking.

I agree with the +2 damage surge being game breaking, but sorin is still easy to kill and most of the droids which count in skirmish lists already have that surge.
Sorin was meant to be a wannabe Tarkin, now he's got the chance XD

24 minutes ago, cnemmick said:
  • I'm in love with power tokens too, but I don't think buffing Ko-Tun is really necessary now. I am incorporating them into several of my fixes.

I've still never seen Ko-Tun in any list, while i do continue to see Gideon and 3PO everywhere. Don't you wanna change things a bit aswell? :/

Anyways, thanks a lot for your opinions, i'll make more tests based on your thoughts!

20 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

Ko-Tun doesn't need a fix. She is 1-point overcosted but she does fine in a trooper list and rangers don't need any more support than they already have. She really just needs to give herself a power token, but that doesn't really warrant a whole new card.

Giving a power token to every adjacent figure as well boosting her own attack from a focused reg alliance ranger to a focused elite alliance ranger is probably broken with elite alliance rangers. Nothing will survive that long range alpha strike.

Hmmm, you may be right, i'll make some shots and see if removing the free token after deployment

@erlucius90 fair replies to my stuff, and thanks for taking the time to do so.

I have run Ko-Tun several times with the following:

• Ko-Tun w/ Motivation
  • Elite Alliance Rangers
  • Elite Echo Base Troopers x2
  • Hera Syndulla

The only glaring weakness on this list was the eEBTs since their attacks are pretty weak. (eEBT Skirmish Fix coming soon!) I had them run objectives & get in the way of the opponent's eRiotTroopers while Ko-Tun and the Rangers picked everybody else apart. Am thinking about pulling out the eEBTs for regular Wookie Warriors or maybe a second unit of eRangers w/ Threepio and Rebel High Command. Ko-Tun is fantastic with the new Leader cards like Prepared for Battle & Officer's Training.

While I don't think Ko-Tun is a tier-1 unit, I don't think she has to be.

5 minutes ago, cnemmick said:

@erlucius90 fair replies to my stuff, and thanks for taking the time to do so.

I have run Ko-Tun several times with the following:

• Ko-Tun w/ Motivation
  • Elite Alliance Rangers
  • Elite Echo Base Troopers x2
  • Hera Syndulla

The only glaring weakness on this list was the eEBTs since their attacks are pretty weak. (eEBT Skirmish Fix coming soon!) I had them run objectives & get in the way of the opponent's eRiotTroopers while Ko-Tun and the Rangers picked everybody else apart. Am thinking about pulling out the eEBTs for regular Wookie Warriors or maybe a second unit of eRangers w/ Threepio and Rebel High Command. Ko-Tun is fantastic with the new Leader cards like Prepared for Battle & Officer's Training.

While I don't think Ko-Tun is a tier-1 unit, I don't think she has to be.

Curious list indeed :o I never considered that list mainly because of the low number of activations (i believe 5 activations are still too few for the new meta aswell, so i always try to stick to 6 activations since 7 is impossible to reach atm)
Still, i really should give it a try!

3 hours ago, erlucius90 said:

I did it! After several playtests, i've managed to complete a list of hotfix for those unique figures who were abandoned by the competitive play.
I'm seriously interested in hearing your opinions, therefore here you go! Enjoy! Use them to play and provide with more feedback!
P.S. : Sorry for the huge post >.<

Deployment_Card_Mercenaries_Mandalorian_ Deployment_Card_Mercenaries_Ruthless_Hun Deployment_Card_Rebellion_One_True_Cheat

These are f'n great bro! But I think you should be bold and make the upgrades for Lando, Dengar, and Boba Fett as not faction specific (like that neutral logo). That way you can still temp alliance Lando to the Mercs and Lando and Dengar can work for the Empire.

21 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

These are f'n great bro! But I think you should be bold and make the upgrades for Lando, Dengar, and Boba Fett as not faction specific (like that neutral logo). That way you can still temp alliance Lando to the Mercs and Lando and Dengar can work for the Empire.

I believe FFG needs to post a FAQ upon this, because otherwise Han, Chewie, IG-88 will be relegated to their factions only ;)
They just need 1 rule that says "Players can use specific heroes attachment cards even when taken from other factions, with no card counting for temp alliance" and there you have your jackpot!

On 23/5/2017 at 5:44 AM, Stompburger said:

Had a thought about Boba - what if you just gave him Vinto's Rapid Fire ability (1 action, perform two attacks)? Then I realized it's actually Jango who dual wields blasters, so that doesn't make as much sense...

But maybe just give him the equivalent, like your flamethrower idea. You could honestly probably just give him the Flamethrower ability from Capatin Terro's card, but just remove the action cost. That probably gives him the action efficiency he needs to be 13 points. Then maybe just remove Battle Presence and ~: Weaken, Give him a flat +2 accuracy, and add a different option (maybe ~: Blast 1? Or an auto -1 Dodge?) to Battle Discipline. Then he's a jet-packing, flame-throwing, laser-spewing beast, just like in the mov-...

Books. Just like in the books.

Because he's jet packed I would thematically give him, agile or fly-by from jet troopers

I would very much like to see Boba go down to at least 12 points so you could sub with IG-88. In truth, I'd like for him to go a little further down to allow a bit more flexibility in list building. 10 or 11 points would be awesome.

On 11/2/2017 at 10:54 AM, erlucius90 said:

Would this violate the rule against two attachments? Alternatively, you might have room to put all of the text from "On a diplomatic mission" onto this 0 cost attachment

How about a fix for the Grand Inquisitor? I was thinking:

Lose
- Defensive
- ~: Cleave 3
- Lightsaber Throw

Gain
- +1 Block
- +2 Accuracy
- Cleave 3 (no surge cost)
- Ranged attack type

the inquisitor needs a +1 dmg,+1 Block, and maybe a point drop

1 hour ago, Darth evil said:

the inquisitor needs a +1 dmg,+1 Block, and maybe a point drop

Not sure he necessarily needs +1 dmg; maybe changing his surge from +1 damage to +2 damage though would be good.

DAVITH IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY AND DOESN'T NEED TO BE FIXED :P :P :P

shhh there there Davith it's ok... You're my perfect little boy.... there there...

35 minutes ago, RogueLieutenant said:

DAVITH IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY AND DOESN'T NEED TO BE FIXED :P :P :P

shhh there there Davith it's ok... You're my perfect little boy.... there there...

Davith was already crying alone since you didn't take him to Regionals... :***(