Properly using the reanimate

By FrogTrigger, in Road to Legend

Just curious, in the app it says to target a hero for the attacks, does the reanimate count as a hero? I find that if you play that the reanimate isn't and they just ignore it, combined with the 1 XP card to give it an extra activation it can do some serious damage each turn. Where as if you had to worry about it getting hit or having to try to move it out of the way it would be much more challenging..

The Reanimate can definitely be targeted.

As an example, see RTL Rules, page 14:

Appendix II
Figures Treated As Heroes
Figures treated as heroes, such as familiars, follow the same rules as a normal game of Descent, with the following additions.
Familiars treated as figures are not affected by quest rules or perils. When a monster is instructed to target a hero, tokens that can be targeted by attacks and figures treated as heroes are included as possible targets. For the purpose of targeting, if a familiar or attackable token does not have the statistic the monster is targeting, that familiar or token is considered to have a value of 0 for the corresponding statistic.
Example: A barghest is instructed to attack the hero with the lowest Might. Widow Tarha and her reanimate are both adjacent. The reanimate does not have a Might value listed, so it is considered to be 0. Because Widow Tarha’s 2 Might is greater than the reanimate’s 0, the barghest attacks the reanimate.
EDIT: Sometimes, we use familiars like the Reanimate or the Wolf as cannon fodder, to prevent taking attacks ourselves (the hero figures). So, properly placed at the end of its turn, it can provide "defensive" abilities as well.
Edited by any2cards

Perfect, that is what I thought but wasn't sure. I never realized there was a rules guide I will have to print that out and read it, thanks so much.

Actually one more question this isn't specific to RTL but this thread already exists.. when the Necro gets knocked down does the re animate automatically die? Or does it still activate as normal when the Necro activates to stand up?

The Reanimate remains on the board.

Per the FAQ:

Q: If the Necromancer is defeated, is his reanimate defeated and removed from the map as well?
A: No, the reanimate is not defeated when the Necromancer is defeated. Unless specifically noted otherwise, familiars treated as figures are only defeated when they suffer damage equal or greater than their Health.
Edited by any2cards

The Reanimate remains on the board.

Per the FAQ:

Q: If the Necromancer is defeated, is his reanimate defeated and removed from the map as well?
A: No, the reanimate is not defeated when the Necromancer is defeated. Unless specifically noted otherwise, familiars treated as figures are only defeated when they suffer damage equal or greater than their Health.

However, since the necromancer is NOT on the board, the reanimate does not benefit from any of the skill cards. It's just a basic reanimate.

However, since the necromancer is NOT on the board, the reanimate does not benefit from any of the skill cards. It's just a basic reanimate.

Hmmmm ... are we absolutely certain about this?

The default Reanimate has 4 Health. I, as the Necromancer spend 2 XP on UnDead Might (a skill card) which provides my Reanimate +2 Health, taking it to 6.

Assume a monster group attack has damaged the Reanimate for 5 damage, and has knocked out my Necromancer. We have never played that the Reanimate also dies because the skill card (per your statement above) is no longer in play, thus resulting in the Reanimate having 2 less health (now back to a 4), and having damage (5) exceeding his Health.

Now, I guess we could be playing it wrong, but I always saw this type of skill card as a passive ability that was always valid, wether or not the Necromancer was on the board. Have we been playing this wrong?

Cards which do not require active use (exhaust, use, pay a cost) or reference the necromancer in any range of the reanimate ("while adjacent to your reanimate...") still have effect. Cards that have either of the two things listed before do not have any effect.

This has changed over time, which is probably why there are differing answers.

EDIT: Ignore this. My addled brain has figured out what Zaltyre was saying above.

So some skill cards do still affect the Reanimate ... such as UnDead Might, and thus I have not been playing this wrong. I feel so much better.

Edited by any2cards

A fine example of why i expect so much from Sidgit Initiative. Except a bunch of 40 people who plays familiars properly ? :)

This is what I got for familiars so far.

I am going to modify the RtL box to emphasize that attributes are 0 only for the purpose of targeting. Furthermore, I am pretty sure that familiars should not be able to trade elixirs. Still, we have an unofficial FFG answer stateting that they can. I am not happy with that atm but will leave that bit until we get another FFG answer.

The question on abilities of defeated heroes is included under entry "Defeated" in the reference guide.

BWAcb16.jpg

Edited by Sadgit

Aahh ! that looks great.
Could you please precise that the stones (as i remember from Zaltyre's answer, i may have misunderstood) are not obstacles for heroes. That s a thing that i find not really obvious.
As an example of a heroes game effect that is not valid for stones i would have picked up : Scamper.

Stones are obstacles. They block movement. They are not "friendly figures".

ok so i misunderstood :)

It nagged me the whole night, but now i remember what bothered me so much. Actually it was the lack of reciprocity between the stones and the heroes. Heroes for being heroes are considered friendly figures for the stones but the stones being obstacles aren't treated as friendly figures for the herores, whereas being familiars.
A familiar who is not friendly to his owner, able to pass by the heroe but not the contrary !
I would suggest to particularly emphasize that point even if it is more or less already clear in the doc.
It is so ***** that i cant fathom it, now of course i may be the only one so i let you decide for the rest.

I would argue that the stones can't walk through heroes either (and that's how I play). Stones are obstacles, and therefore can't be occupying the same space as anything else, ever.

Stones may walk through friendly figures as per uFAQ.

Stones may walk through friendly figures as per uFAQ.

This is true. I willingly ignore that as I don't buy the reasoning.

Edited by Zaltyre

I am also sceptical about some of the answers by FFG staff in the past (e.g. familiars trading elixirs and such). For the reference guide however I decided to go for official rules plus uFAQs. Everything else will cause too many problems.

I encourage every group to introduce house rules where they feel necessary.

So it is established by FFG that a familiar can't double move?

I didn't think they would be able to so that makes sense to me.

But If i use an action to summon the familiar, then use my card (forget the name) that gives the reanimate an activation, can the reanimate still activate on it's own turn afterwards?

The necromaner action skill to activate the reanimate is explicitly additional to the ordinary activation. One does not interfere with the other.

A familiar can move once per activation.

Fury of the Undead grants a second activation, thus using this skill the Reanimate can move twice in the Necromancer's turn (once per activation).

Edited by Sadgit

Familliars cannot double move, because they do not have two actions. I think most have a single move action*...and some of them have a special action that allows them to perform an attack. Without that special action, they cannot perform a second action.

* I can't remember if there are any that have NO move action at all...

Edited by Alarmed

If it has a speed, it can move. Once, for the reason you said.