Did anyone played WInds of Change? Bobo + witchsight = WT*?

By GRAAK, in WFRP Gamemasters

Bobo is the big bad, it's on disguise and it should be the last ugly surprise of the scenario. But then comes the wizard player, with a big spoiler potential called "witchsight" (or magical sight).

Am I missing anything specifically written for this spoiler? How did you handle wizard players and Bobo?

Thanks!

Well, I would say the spell is powerfull enough to hide him from any random wizard apprentice spotting it.

If the Wizard declares he's going to look around the shop wiht Magical Sight, I might do something like asking for an Average Magical Sight check and then only have him spot something "off" about Bobo if he rolls 5 successes, or two Comets or something like that.

If he decalres he's going to specifically use Magical Sight on the bird I'd either ask for a 4 or 5 Difficulty check or as for an Easy check and then give the check a hidden 5 Failures to roll against.

Or I would just rule that Bobo's magic is way too good for a human Wizard to spot if I didn't even want the potential headache of the whole adventure getting derailed.

Also, remember to make the Wizard actually suffer negative consequenses for Chaos Stars on Magical Sight checks so he's not just waving the ability around like a flashlight of magical detection. Magical Sight makes you see some crazy stuff that easily gives you some Stress if nothing else.

Edited by Ralzar

Thank you, I play with 2nd edition rules but I got how to handle Bobo, thank you!

You could also rule that "Bobo" as the bird isn't really a spell or supernatural (winds of magic) effect. Bobo really is a parakeet, just with a daemon inside (when he comes out it's feathers everywhere). Daemons are extradimensional - so size isn't really an issue.

Bobo just being a transformed daemon has a bit of a problem in that instability is supposed to make daemons just hanging around indefinitely not workable (if it was that easy why all the rigamarole of the adventure).

Bobo inside the parakeet is "detecting magic through a barrier" so difficult and hard to do unless you are trying.

Once Bobo is not in a parakeet, he should be affected by instability.

Edited by valvorik

Some quick input from me. It should be vague and hard to use. But it should also really useful if used correctly. So if the players suspect Bobo for whatever reason and use witchsight on the bird, I'd say let them have that victory and reward their clever thinking. So what if they ruin the last big surprise? That will probably make the players feel smart and have fun, which is a good thing. It is an investigative adventure after all, so the players should be rewarded for clever thinking. The whole adventure is not lost by revealing Bobo early, the bird might flee, everything else still needs investigating and the ritual still needs to be stopped.

If the players think to use Witch Sight (directly) on the bird and detect nothing magical they will probably feel cheated at the end instead. So if I were you I'd plan for how to continue the adventure if Bobo is detected. Using Witch Sight in general around the shop should probably not detect Bobo as magical. But if used specifically on the bird it should be possible.

Agreed that a GM needs to let Player cleverness and success "change the story path".