Really shoddy money pinching packaging. Should be ashamed of yourselves.

By chucklepie, in General Discussion

Just got this, I'm sure it's going to be great, but I'm really disappointed by the packaging.

You can see from the minute of opening it, for what is a premium priced product they've scrimped on every detail and it's quite a poor show in comparison to Arkham Horror.

You look at the ancient one cards and think, hmm, these are quite small compared to Arkham and the writing is tiny. But regardless, that may have been a design decision, my main gripe is you see the crappy folded cardboard inset and wonder, where do I put my stuff? In Arkham and most other good games you get a plastic insert to at least put some of your parts in, like clues, health, sanity, cards. Here you get literally nothing.

You can't even take apart the parts until you have prepared bags and boxes for everything before you even start. Why? it costs pennies for an insert and half the games I buy now come with empty plastic resealable bags...

We pay a fortune for your games, the least you could do is make an effort with the packaging.

Decreased production costs = increased profits

Would you rather have 1/3rd of the cards for a fancy insert? I wouldn't.

Even though I think chucklepie's writing is a bit too angry, I agree with the basic statement. "Would you rather have 1/3 of the cards" sounds as if it needs to be as it is or else you would get less. I would agree that you get a fair amount of stuff for the price FFG procuts cost but the amount of air in all the products is too high. And that also means: the packaging is more expensive as it has to be. If I look at my Star Trek Armada Interdictor, the ship and the rest of the stuff takes a lot less space, maybe 1/3 or even half. And chuklepie is right, it really doesn't cost that much more if the carton has cases for cards and markers, hell they even to this partially for other products, like for Star Wars Destiny Dice game. So no, the money argument doesn't work.

Look at the artwork on the cards of Arkham Horror the Card Game (for which you need 2 cores if were being honest), and even on Eldritch Horror.

Im sure they put "Art" under production costs - but let's be real they have been recycling the same images for a while now.

"Let's see how much air we can put in one box, fanboys will defend the game regardless!" - FFG Directors