One rule book to rule them all

By Kaaihn, in Talisman

Fantastic job - I had always hoped to do this myself but was put off by the immense amount of work.

15 hours ago, Luddify said:

Fantastic job - I had always hoped to do this myself but was put off by the immense amount of work.

It really did turn out to be way more work than I initially thought!

One more typo scan.

Page 7, although it's not apparent, "Crawler" is written "CraWler". This might be an artefact of the font.

Page 8 (which is missing its page number at the bottom): "faceup" should be "face-up". Multiple occurrences.

Page 16 " CAtaclym" should be "CAtaclysm". "facedown" should be "face down" (there are other occurrences).

Page 35 "move direactly" should be "move directly".

19 minutes ago, Urhixidur said:

One more typo scan.

Page 7, although it's not apparent, "Crawler" is written "CraWler". This might be an artefact of the font.

It's the way the font is. If it was capitalized it would be taller like the first letter in Crawler and Web are.

Page 8 (which is missing its page number at the bottom): "faceup" should be "face-up". Multiple occurrences.

Fixed the page number. Leaving faceup alone though. It can have the dash or not, both are correct. If you look at all the official Talisman instructions, they all use faceup instead of face-up, so I stayed with their preference.

Page 16 " CAtaclym" should be "CAtaclysm". "facedown" should be "face down" (there are other occurrences).

Fixed the typo. See faceup for why I left facedown alone as well :)

Page 35 "move direactly" should be "move directly".

Got it, fixed

Thanks, I've updated the link with v1.6. Some notes inline above.

1 hour ago, Urhixidur said:

Page 16 "facedown" should be "face down" (there are other occurrences)

Not quite

326b2db3eb98cd10.png

Are you still interested in adding the rules for The Lost Realms? Sorry, but my memory is getting really bad!

Quick question.....why do you have this point in the rules:

" Players are required to possess a Talisman to be on the CoC (any card or board effect that would place you there instead places you on Valley of Fire or Tower draw 3 space next to CoC if you don't have a Talisman)"

I mean, other than stopping someone using Arnkell and someone possibly picking your pocket for the Talisman as they land there so you have to go?, what reason is there for putting it in?

Thanks.

On 9/7/2017 at 5:30 AM, talismanisland said:

Are you still interested in adding the rules for The Lost Realms? Sorry, but my memory is getting really bad!

Sure, please send me the text whenever and I'll make a Lost Realms edition.

6 minutes ago, Lord Kalten said:

" Players are required to possess a Talisman to be on the CoC (any card or board effect that would place you there instead places you on Valley of Fire or Tower draw 3 space next to CoC if you don't have a Talisman)"

I mean, other than stopping someone using Arnkell and someone possibly picking your pocket for the Talisman as they land there so you have to go?, what reason is there for putting it in?

Thanks.

The name of the game is Talisman. There is no use for a Talisman except to pass from the Valley to CoC. With multiple reliable ways to teleport straight to the CoC, it was trivializing the game. Nobody was going into the middle region or inner region pretty much ever. With this rule that changes, and adds what my group feels is the right balance to the game back.

One strategy tip, even if you don't think you have the combat result to get the 8+ and go straight to the CoC, go beat the guy so you can take the Talisman from the treasure stack. Remember you choose what you want from that stack, so if the Talisman is in the deck the first player capable of using the teleport will just get a Talisman on the way. If you aren't quite ready to try to win, it's strategic denial :)

2 minutes ago, Kaaihn said:

The name of the game is Talisman. There is no use for a Talisman except to pass from the Valley to CoC. With multiple reliable ways to teleport straight to the CoC, it was trivializing the game. Nobody was going into the middle region or inner region pretty much ever. With this rule that changes, and adds what my group feels is the right balance to the game back.

One strategy tip, even if you don't think you have the combat result to get the 8+ and go straight to the CoC, go beat the guy so you can take the Talisman from the treasure stack. Remember you choose what you want from that stack, so if the Talisman is in the deck the first player capable of using the teleport will just get a Talisman on the way. If you aren't quite ready to try to win, it's strategic denial :)

Thanks.

You say multiple ways - other than Arknell, what other ways are there?

Also, what if someone is in the CoC and you are a thief and use an ability to pick their pocket of the Talisman even if they've gone through the right way? I assume that rule will force them to move out of the CoC to get another Talisman?

3 minutes ago, Lord Kalten said:

Thanks.

You say multiple ways - other than Arknell, what other ways are there?

Also, what if someone is in the CoC and you are a thief and use an ability to pick their pocket of the Talisman even if they've gone through the right way? I assume that rule will force them to move out of the CoC to get another Talisman?

There is a dragon portal as well that I recall that comes up from a card, and there is one other one, I can't remember the details offhand though.

As for the Thief... that's never happened. It's a good question though. The intent is that you can't enter the CoC without a Talisman, so I would lean towards tweaking the language to reflect that the requirement is for entry. If you somehow lose it after getting there you don't get booted out.

Oh, and one thing I should probably clarify in the rulebook about the Cataclysm; the way we play that is if/when the Cataclysm happens, if there is a visible ending that too is discarded and a new one is selected. If the ending is hidden I don't bother to even select it until someone gets to CoC, so this only applies if it's a visible ending. It adds a really interesting strategic layer to the game. If you know the win condition, and see that someone can do it and is heading for the CoC, you can intentionally seek out the Harbinger to try to trigger the Cataclysm, changing the win condition!

21 minutes ago, Lord Kalten said:

Thanks.

Double check you have the latest version. The text for the CoC reads:

The last space on the board is the Crown of Command. It can
only be reached from the Valley of Fire space or the final draw
3 space in the Dragons Tower (if used as the Inner Region
instead), which can only be entered by characters that have a
Talisman. If a character does not have a Talisman, then he
must turn back. Any card or board effect that would place a
character on the Crown of Command should instead place the
character on the Valley of Fire or Draw 3 space if the character
does not possess a Talisman.

The rule as written already says the limitation is only about entering the CoC.

v1.7 is posted. I clarified the rules about Talismans, as well as what happens to the ending when the Cataclysm is triggered.

v1.8 is posted. I fixed a few typo's, and added a Denying Destiny variant rule option to the variant rules page.