One rule book to rule them all

By Kaaihn, in Talisman

I got tired of having a giant stack of rule books and having to flip back and forth between it all, so I created one single combined rule book, including latest FAQ and some custom quick reference pages I made. This assumes every expansion is in use. Sharing it here in case anyone else finds it useful :)

It comes out great if you just take the file to Kinko's or wherever and have it printed on good glossy paper, I recommend a heavy gloss cardstock for the front and back cover. I had mine spiral bound for easiest use. You can have it printed on 11x17 and folded over and staple bound like the stock rulebooks, but it will double the cost because of how printers price things.

Please note that the book reflects how I run the game with full expansions. Obviously players are free to tweak their setup and play however they like. Customization's are:

1. Deal five character cards instead of three to choose one from (only 1 is dealt as a new character if someone dies)

2. Players are required to possess a Talisman to be on the CoC (any card or board effect that would place you there instead places you on Valley of Fire or Tower draw 3 space next to CoC if you don't have a Talisman)

3. Determine Inner Region: Roll a die. On a 1-2 result, do not use the Dragon board overlay. On a 3-4 result, place the Dragon Tower side face-up over the main board as the Inner Region. On a 5-6 result, place the Dragon Realm side face-up over the main board as the Inner Region.

4. Determine Ending: Roll a die to determine if the ending will be Revealed or Hidden. On a 1-3 roll the Ending is Hidden. On a 4-6 roll the ending is Revealed. After rolling, remove the unused Hidden or Revealed Ending cards from the Ending deck and shuffle the deck. Draw one Ending card and place it on the Crown of Command space. Face-down if Hidden, face-up if Revealed. Note: If the ending is the Dragon King, ignore the rules on the card and instead follow the rules for which Dragon is King using the Dragon expansion ending rules.

5. Determine Omen deck: Lay out the four stacks of Omen cards and roll a die to select which stack will be used. Use 1-4 from left to right, re-rolling 5 and 6. Collect all eight Omen cards belonging to the selected Omen set. Then use them to make a face-up stack, starting with the 7th Omen at the bottom, then the 6th Omen, 5th Omen, etc., with the Prophecy card on the top. The stack is then placed next to the Harbinger sheet.

6. Cataclysm: There are Seven Omen cards, plus the beginning Prophecy. When the Omen advances, roll a D6. Add the number of the new Omen to the roll. On a 6+, the Cataclysm has arrived! Discard all face-up cards, tokens, and the Dragon Inner Region board from the main board. Replace the main board with the Cataclysm board, placing Characters, the Grim Reaper, the Werewolf, and the Harbinger on the same spaces they were previously in. Place Remnant cards on spaces with a Remnant symbol as the Cataclysm setup rules dictate.

7. Added a Denying Destiny Variant option to the Variant rules option page. Destinies can significantly alter the game. Players may use this variant if they want the ability to cause Destinies to be lost. If the last life a character loses is through a direct action of another player (character attack, spell cast, card effect, etc.), the player that caused the last loss of life may choose one of the killed players Destinies to be removed from the game.

It's just a standard unlocked PDF document. Anyone is free to open in full Acrobat, choose edit text, and edit and rearrange as they see fit. If anyone comes across any errors, please let me know and I'll fix them.

Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By-ZiSh-JBEOMTczVHNWaVk4SzQ

Edited by Kaaihn

Wow, very impressive & useful! Thank you, Kaaihn!

Very good.

A few minor formatting errors, otherwise perfect.

You didn't update enemy types on page 12 ;)

You didn't update enemy types on page 12 ;)

Lol. I don't think those were exhaustive lists even in just the base game. I'll add "etc." to the examples though just for you :D

Very good.

A few minor formatting errors, otherwise perfect.

Please feel free to point them out! Especially typo's or wording errors. The tight spacing on some pages and the fact that a couple of things seem to be in an odd place in the book (rules for Fireland tokens and Noble Ifrit being on page 27 would be an example) are because I started with the base game rule book as a base and modified from there, so sometimes I just had to make things fit on a given page.

Obviously it would be a much cleaner book if I started from scratch, but that's more trouble than it's worth. I think it's completely usable as is. Typo's, poor wording, forgotten rules, anything like though please point out to me and I'll correct.

The rulebook looks nice!

Two things, though. First, it would look even better if You removed that white space from the images. It looks really odd. Second, the rulebook begs for a list of contents at the start of it. And instead of an "et cetera", I would list all of possible Enemy types. Finally, while the Lost Realms expansion is a fan-made, I think a lot of people consider it semi-official because it was created by Jon New, who created all of Talisman PoDs including the first Realm cards. Maybe not just yet, but I think it could be nice to include the Lost Realms in this rulebook too.

The rulebook looks nice!

Two things, though. First, it would look even better if You removed that white space from the images. It looks really odd. Second, the rulebook begs for a list of contents at the start of it. And instead of an "et cetera", I would list all of possible Enemy types. Finally, while the Lost Realms expansion is a fan-made, I think a lot of people consider it semi-official because it was created by Jon New, who created all of Talisman PoDs including the first Realm cards. Maybe not just yet, but I think it could be nice to include the Lost Realms in this rulebook too.

Thanks for the feedback.

It does need a Table of Contents, I left a placeholder for it if I ever get around to making one. The Cataclysm artwork on page two can be deleted in favor of a TOC.

The white background on some images are because it's part of the image from the FFG downloaded rulebooks I compiled from. If someone wants to edit any images that need it to remove the white background I'll update them into the book. It doesn't bother me enough to mess with it, but would happily swap the images out if someone else wants to update them :)

I would prefer to list all the Enemy types just for completeness, but I don't have a complete list to begin with (and I'm not going through every card in the game to document them all), and there really isn't much room to spare on that page to add many to the list. So I'll go with adding etc. for now, and will look for ways to fit them all in if I come across a complete list somewhere online to consult from.

On the Lost Realms, if I had it I would have included it. Last I looked it's not a finished product though. Is there a finished download available you can point me to? The most complete I have seen is this .

Hey,

Recently Jon updated the Lost Realm files and moved the project to beta. Probably there will be some small changes here and there, but I doubt that any of the core mechanics will be changed. And for example for the purpose of the full game board with all of the corner and realm expansions, I think even a beta image of the Lost Realm board will be enough. The updated files are there: http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=7245

I would have to help with the images, but my PS skills are pretty limited, so I will have to pass this to someone who has better skills than I.

The full list of the Enemies:

Animal

Spirit

Dragon

Construct

Cultist

Elemental

Norn

Monster

Demon

Fae

Undead

Outlaw

Law

Hey,

Recently Jon updated the Lost Realm files and moved the project to beta. Probably there will be some small changes here and there, but I doubt that any of the core mechanics will be changed. And for example for the purpose of the full game board with all of the corner and realm expansions, I think even a beta image of the Lost Realm board will be enough. The updated files are there: http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=7245

I would have to help with the images, but my PS skills are pretty limited, so I will have to pass this to someone who has better skills than I.

The full list of the Enemies:

Animal

Spirit

Dragon

Construct

Cultist

Elemental

Norn

Monster

Demon

Fae

Undead

Outlaw

Law

Thanks for the link and the list. Can you update for which are craft and which are strength?

I'll download the Lost Realms and play with it. I got curious on the icons background issue (because now that you pointed it out it is bothering me, **** you). It's easy to fix, I'm working through them now and will upload a new version once I finish.

Thanks for the link and the list. Can you update for which are craft and which are strength?

To be honest, a few expansions ago I could tell You which Enemy kind is a Strength one, and which is a Craft one. Now, pretty much only Norn is Craft exclusive (because in all of the decks there is exactly 1 Enemy - Norn), and possibly Spirit too (though I'm not sure about this one). Therefore You better avoid writing which one is which. Write that all of the Enemy types can either be Strength or Craft based. Sometimes even both (in various forms):

Strength : 5, Craft : 5

Strength /Craft : 1

Strength : 6 or Craft : 6

===

Same thing apply to the encounter numbers, You probably will want to mention that an encounter nubmer of 1 is reserved for Events, Enemies with both Strength and Craft, Followers we must to take and Place cards.

Talisman is one big mess, but there is nothing we can do about it.

I have a file at home detailing which enemies have what strength and craft, I'll try to post that tomorrow.

Now, pretty much only Norn is Craft exclusive (because in all of the decks there is exactly 1 Enemy - Norn), and possibly Spirit too (though I'm not sure about this one).

Write that all of the Enemy types can either be Strength or Craft based.

Edited by Bludgeon

This is for simplicity. There is no reason to list which Enemy types are Strength only, which ones are Craft only and which ones can be both, because in the real game it doesn't matter at all.

Honestly, I'm not seeing the real need to list out every Enemy type anyway. It will have no impact on the rules. All that needs to be explained is you fight strength enemies with strength, which is battle, and craft enemies with craft, which is psychic combat, and the rule blurb explaining there are some with both str and craft on the same card and how to handle those. Those rules are there already, listing the enemy type just isn't necessary in my opinion.

I just updated the link. I noticed in the piece identifier section at the beginning I forgot Warlock cards, so added that, and fixed pretty much every graphic in the thing to get rid of white backgrounds and add shadow effects.

Brilliant.

That fixes all the errors I saw too!

v1.3 is now at the link in the first post. Thanks to Jon of Talisman Island pointing me at the fonts needed to make everything match! Found a few typo's as I was updating all the fonts to match as well. Short of adding a table of contents if I ever get to it and potentially rules for the Lost Realms when it is finished, this should be the final version unless someone finds a mistake I need to correct.

good to se ethe continuing work on this.
Would LOVE to see the index and the Lost Realms inserted, at which point it would likley be time to print the thing!

good to se ethe continuing work on this.

Would LOVE to see the index and the Lost Realms inserted, at which point it would likley be time to print the thing!

There is an index already, do you mean the Table of Contents? I have one done, it's in the Lost Realms version I am working on. Just waiting on Jon to email the rules to me in text form so I don't have to retype them from scratch and then I'll post two new versions. One with Lost Realms, one without, but both with TOC.

YEah, that's the one!

Kaaihn,

A Fantastic resource you have made :)

I have a question. When reading about followers...It doesn't say whether you can ditch followers or not. Perhaps this could be included in the rules to clearly show players how to deal with ditching followers

Kaaihn,

A Fantastic resource you have made :)

I have a question. When reading about followers...It doesn't say whether you can ditch followers or not. Perhaps this could be included in the rules to clearly show players how to deal with ditching followers

It's on page 16 of the base game rule book, and page 25 of my complete game rulebook.

A couple of typos I spotted after a quick read: You keep writing "Rat's Next" instead of "Rat's Nest", and I saw at least one "Harbringer" instead of "Harbinger". The Quick Reference of card backs is missing at least the Omen cards, possibly a few more.

On 6/10/2017 at 9:57 PM, Urhixidur said:

A couple of typos I spotted after a quick read: You keep writing "Rat's Next" instead of "Rat's Nest", and I saw at least one "Harbringer" instead of "Harbinger". The Quick Reference of card backs is missing at least the Omen cards, possibly a few more.

Thanks, I corrected the typo's. I decided to leave off a few card backs in the quick reference because the page was simply full. I can spill them over onto the quick reference next page and have a mixed page of backs with the fronts of armoury, stables, and magic emporium.

Edited by Kaaihn

Done, quick reference updated. Grab latest version (1.5) from the link in the original post.