A few new retainers

By k7e9, in WFRP House Rules

My gaming group likes the noble careers and often someone starts off as a noble following the rules in Lure of Power.

Often they want retainers as well, but there are only a few to pick from.

So I created a few new ones that I felt was missing:

The basic servant is supposed to improve a specific retainers by adding a fotune die to all actions performed by that Retainer (as long as the basic servant is around to help that is). For example getting a scullary maid as a basic servant would help a the halfling chef, while a militiaman would boost a Man-At-Arms, and so on. Also the noble would have someone to send on menial errands such as delivering letters or buying basic supplies.

I thought it would be neat if the upkeep cost of these basic servants increased with each noble rank, as they need nicer clothes and so on depending on the noble rank.

Basic-Servant-Front-Face.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------

I debated if there should be a physician retainer, as that might compete with the physician career that players can take. But I decided to create one. Overall a retainer physician will be less useful than an actual player character that specializes in first aid/medicine. So I felt it was ok. :)

Physician-Front-Face.jpg

Lastly I thought it would be nice for knights to have a squrire retainer to pick from.

Squire-Front-Face.jpg

Any suggestions on how to tweak these retainers?

What do you think of the upkeeps and prerequisites of each?

Edited by k7e9

Some suggestions for the squire :

- while the squire belongs to his retinue, the knight's horse is always wealthy and ignores the first wind loss due to exhaustion per day

- while the the squire belongs to his retinue, the knight's equipement (armor and weapons) is in perfect state, and grants per day : for the weapons, 1 fortune dice to the first action in a combat ; for the armor, an additional damage reduction of 1 to the first blow received in a combat.

Good idea. I'm thinking something like:

Once per session: Exhaust the Squire to prevent the mount from loosing one wind.

Once per session: Exhaust the Squire can increase damage from any weapon by 2 or increase soak by 2 against an attack.

That way the player can choose when to improve the weapon/armour instead of getting it on the first no matter what. :)

Other retainers I have thought about creating:

• Hunter/tracker (improved food, helps with tracking).
  • Coachman (less fatigue during journeys).
  • Herbalist (help to heal stress/fatigue/disease).

Here's an idea for a spymaster retainer.

My thoughts are that the spymaster can either provide general information regarding a target (which could be an event, a place, a person or any other thing that could fit) and contribute a fotune die on a lot of checks regarding that target.

The other option is more of a roleplay element where the spymaster could help the player(s) get actual answers to stuff.

Any thoughts? :)

Spymaster.jpg

Thanks k7e9xellent