Zealux Myr's X-Wing Workshop

By ZealuxMyr, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Where are the lights on the E wing?

33 minutes ago, Khyros said:

Where are the lights on the E wing?

Hahaha...No.

My soldering skills are far too crude for such delicate/tiny LEDs and, even if I was more skilled, I personally do not like being able to see the wiring - if it can't fit 100% in the model I wont even try it. But that's just my personal preference, not saying LED small based ships don't look awesome on other people's ships - just saying I wouldn't be able to tolerate seeing the wires.

17 hours ago, ZealuxMyr said:

Hahaha...No.

My soldering skills are far too crude for such delicate/tiny LEDs and, even if I was more skilled, I personally do not like being able to see the wiring - if it can't fit 100% in the model I wont even try it. But that's just my personal preference, not saying LED small based ships don't look awesome on other people's ships - just saying I wouldn't be able to tolerate seeing the wires.

Nah, you can do it without seeing the wires (at least on the ship). And my next gen of small ship lighting should have concealed peg wiring. Here's my x wing where you don't see the wires on the ship at all, as well as a recent Raider for Armada where the wires on the peg are much tighter to the peg and less obvious.

il_570xN.1263567349_676e.jpg

1 hour ago, Khyros said:

Nah, you can do it without seeing the wires (at least on the ship). And my next gen of small ship lighting should have concealed peg wiring. Here's my x wing where you don't see the wires on the ship at all, as well as a recent Raider for Armada where the wires on the peg are much tighter to the peg and less obvious.

Again, the lights look cool but I, personally, do not like being able to see the wiring - if it can't fit 100% in the model I will never be satisfied with it.

Y-Wings Turret Weapon Upgrade (WIP)

So I've always been displeased with how shoddy the turret gun on the Y-Wing looks on the base model, so I was in a great hobby shop in Tyngsboro, MA (Hobby Emporium) and was poking around their WWII ships section and an employee showed be the scale of the 1:700 weapons emplacement kits. Now am I working on installing 40mm cannons for turrets on my Y-Wings, perfect scale. Pictures have the turret just sitting on top of the prepped ship - going to do some shaving of the wedge mount under the gun to get a less boxy fit. I would like to make them swivel but I think I'm going to just glue them in-place as (likely) rotating them without the use of tweezers will likely break/damage the cannons...

iwOtQoZ.jpg mEehbGW.jpg aOsKa4F.jpg 3l1EJeV.jpg

The kit I purchased: qM5KH0J.jpg

Also extremely excited to mount so 5" dual barrel and 6" triple barrel gun emplacements on one of my VT-49 Decimators to really emphasize the Decimator part. (Plus the Curtiss SC-1 Seahawk fighter planes-comes with 2-are perfect scale to squeeze onto Armada squadron pegs.)

The Vanquisher | VT-49 Decimator Upgraded Weapons Platform & Enhanced Sensor Matrix

New weapons include 4x dual turbolaser cannon batteries mounted to the forward hull (2x dorsal, 2x ventral), port & starboard dorsal quad laser cannons, 2 banks of triple laser cannons on both the port & starboard ventral hull, and an upgraded sensor platform for improved fire control and targeting solutions.

TCEzWZt.jpg 2LUU6NC.jpg WqLkxQN.jpg bhMGaZb.jpg 0gqeS6z.jpg x7PE2xm.jpg

I got distracted with all the cannon bits from my Y-Wing project... These are also 1:700 naval ship armaments: WWII US Navy 20mm guns for the dorsal and ventral fix batteries and Japanese Navy 3" guns for the dual turbolasers (which are magnetized so they can swivel). Satellite dishes also came from the WWII US Navy kit.

Ion Cannon Turret Upgrade for Y-Wing

H1hmOq6.jpg 1T767W4.jpg

1:700 scale US Navy WWII 40mm cannons.

Y-Wing turret looks really great!

9 minutes ago, ABXY said:

Y-Wing turret looks really great!

Thank you, I am so very happy that I can finally fix the low-detail almost turret-less appearance of the Y-Wing :)

I've found that pack of bitz for almost 40$ on eBay. I wanted to buy it, but pokerface on than cost...

12 minutes ago, Minaith said:

I've found that pack of bitz for almost 40$ on eBay. I wanted to buy it, but pokerface on than cost...

Holy cow! I hesitated on the cost at $26 a pack at the brick-and-mortar store I found it at ( Hobby Emporium, Tyngsboro, MA - they do not have an online shop).

Punch it into Amazon, found a few for $18.99 + $5.98 shipping ($24.97) which seems a lot more reasonable than eBay!

Y-Wing Turret Upgrade - Completed Squadron!

A7m96uO.jpg

All nine of my Y-Wings, kitted out and ready to bring the pain! Did a mix of turret tip colors; some are blue, some are orange, and a couple are green. The Black & Gold Y-Wing is sporting a quad-laser turret, for reasons...

Horton Salm - Grey Leader

f5Medzt.jpg

Jon "Dutch" Vander - Gold Leader

n8nq1Q3.jpg

Red Squadron Y-Wing

qIjqj7k.jpg

Blue Squadron Y-Wing

N5327Kg.jpg

Green Squadron Y-Wing

0P3jFh9.jpg

Syndicate Thug Y-Wing

xV0sgBo.jpg

Kavil - with an aft facing turret, naturally.

Li0GSP2.jpg

Black Sun Y-Wing

OhyY1cI.jpg

Black & Gold Y-Wing with its quad-laser cannon beast of a turret... 7Jyj1QK.jpg

Heavy Syck - Cannon

r7jWMhs.jpg bK1uV1T.jpg

Edited by ZealuxMyr

Looking good!

TIE Silencer , the way it was meant to be...truly a weapon of the First Order!

pPWIspY.jpg

70Wz8h8.jpg

TIE/ SF Aggressor

OI3CTqF.jpg

Mjeqkyp.jpg

6KEvMIO.jpg

jtc9w3J.jpg

TIE Silencer, TIE/ FO Aggressor, TIE/ SF Aggressor Formation

kh99RoQ.jpg

yWeXZ7j.jpg

1OonlvH.jpg

7 hours ago, ZealuxMyr said:

TIE/ SF Aggressor

Ah! - here they are!!

On 11/20/2017 at 11:56 PM, ZealuxMyr said:

The Vanquisher | VT-49 Decimator Upgraded Weapons Platform & Enhanced Sensor Matrix

New weapons include 4x dual turbolaser cannon batteries mounted to the forward hull (2x dorsal, 2x ventral), port & starboard dorsal quad laser cannons, 2 banks of triple laser cannons on both the port & starboard ventral hull, and an upgraded sensor platform for improved fire control and targeting solutions.

TCEzWZt.jpg 2LUU6NC.jpg WqLkxQN.jpg bhMGaZb.jpg 0gqeS6z.jpg x7PE2xm.jpg

I got distracted with all the cannon bits from my Y-Wing project... These are also 1:700 naval ship armaments: WWII US Navy 20mm guns for the dorsal and ventral fix batteries and Japanese Navy 3" guns for the dual turbolasers (which are magnetized so they can swivel). Satellite dishes also came from the WWII US Navy kit.

You do commissions? That thing is dreamy!

Edited by Celestial Lizards
12 hours ago, Celestial Lizards said:

You do commissions? That thing is dreamy!

I've only ever done 1 commission for a friend before ( Wolverine T-70 X-Wing ), I don't mind the concept of doing commissions but I don't actively seek them. I do this recreationally, not professionally so sticking to deadlines is pretty much out the window as I get distracted way too easily. Case in point: if you look back through this thread you'll see mining guild TIEs in pieces in the background of some of my photos. I've been actively "working" on them for over a year and keep getting sidetracked by the next new thing (whatever is in the foreground of those photos).

Royal Guard TIE Aggressor

3yVdGSr.jpg dZMeSYD.jpg

nShPmcE.jpg aB4tPEe.jpg

Inferno Squadron TIE Fighter

s1qyQu9.jpg QlIc19k.jpg

Dalan Oberos M12-L Kimogila Fighter

I went for a roughed up look. I've been disappointed with how smooth and clean the Kimogila looks out of the box, for a ship with the title " Enforcer " and pilots named "Executioner" the ship seems like it sits on display in a hangar bay somewhere and has never actually seen combat. For this repaint the FIRST thing I had to do was fix the front fins. Three of the four pilot cards show the extended front fins that I modded onto this ship, the fourth pilot card shows exactly zero fins, and the model has short stubby fins. Love it when FFG model designers and card art designers do not interact... He isn't 100% done as I still have engine glow to add and I have some detailing to do on the belly and sides (that you can't see in these pictures).

FLggSRC.jpg FDIduEA.jpg aBLx1Lh.jpg fpuNiUg.jpg

The finification of the model:

Z1ZhLgf.jpg NQMcsTI.jpg

Dang it! Now I just HAVE to get another Kimo. Great work here! Good, but simple mod.

I tried doing this paint job on mine, but it didn't look right, so I stripped it and went with the gold/black Cartel Executioner:

Cartel Executioner 800p

Thank you :) Airbrush certainly helps (especially with Orange Paint Coverage), I think the fin mod is almost necessary to make Dalan look right - they're just so obvious on the pilot card.

Did you completely cut the fins off of your Cartel Executioner or did you leave the little stubby fins?

10 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Dang it! Now I just HAVE to get another Kimo.

I know the feeling. I bought 3 and want to leave 1 original, 1 repainted to Dalan, 1 repainted to Cartel Executioner, and 1 repainted to Torani. Means I'd need a 4th Kimo, and I'll likely never fly more than 1 in anything other than Epic...but the card art is just so nice!

I left the stubby wings on it. I wasn't too confident I could remove the material symmetrically enough.

10 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

I left the stubby wings on it. I wasn't too confident I could remove the material symmetrically enough.

That is my concern, still going to try it, but pretty much planning on having to greenstuff and repair my mistakes...

On 1/10/2018 at 9:45 AM, ZealuxMyr said:

I've only ever done 1 commission for a friend before ( Wolverine T-70 X-Wing ), I don't mind the concept of doing commissions but I don't actively seek them. I do this recreationally, not professionally so sticking to deadlines is pretty much out the window as I get distracted way too easily. Case in point: if you look back through this thread you'll see mining guild TIEs in pieces in the background of some of my photos. I've been actively "working" on them for over a year and keep getting sidetracked by the next new thing (whatever is in the foreground of those photos).

I would gladly pay for something as intimidating as that Deci.