Latari Elves Collaboration

By Willange, in BattleLore

We wanted to make a person-neutral thread about a custom Latari Elves faction. This is meant to become a sort of consensus version of the Latari Elves. However, individuals may ultimately disagree on direction and we may end up with several variants of our woodland friends. That is absolutely fine. What I think we mostly want is a way to sort through the ideas in a common thread and get some of the best inspiration for the Latari that we can. Please post the best ideas you have for the factions as a whole (or individual units/cards) as replies to this thread. As this effort moves forward, I will make an edit to this initial post with a link to a Google Doc that will highlight some of the major ideas, progress, and contributions that are made. Hopefully, that document will eventually hold completed cards and scenarios for all to enjoy.

To any who wish to collaborate and contribute to making the Latari a reality, I thank you and wish us all good luck!

EDIT: I realize it wasn't clear in what I said initially. While it is okay if people spin-off and do their own thing with this, the goal is the get as close to a community-made, unofficial Latari Elves as we can. Something that people look at and say, "Oh yeah, FFG never released them, but everyone uses these Latari Elves." We want to get as close to that as we can.

EDIT 2: Google Folder Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8VbB1XUIreWLXNBSWl3X3QwaTQ?usp=sharing

Do not have your only copy of things in the google folder. To make it easy to use, anyone can view/edit, so you can't count on things staying as you made them.

Edited by Willange

I would like to participate, and would highly recommend that we try to create just one semi-official version for best reception.

Exactly. I edited the original post to make that more clear :)

I would like to participate, and would highly recommend that we try to create just one semi-official version for best reception.

And the "official" in "semi-official" is granted by whom? Is Willange working for FFG, or? Otherwise it's just another home-brewed army, which is supercool, but it has nothinf of official in it

Edited by Julia

I would use the term "community made unoffical expansion". Any "officiality" will only be as good as the credit people give it. The goal here is to be by and for the community. It will be print-at-home (or kinko's in my case). I definitely am not the one who decides what the product of this will be. I'll be giving input and helping all I can, but it should be as much a community consensus as possible.

Main Problem will be the lore cards. Without lore cards it will never feel playable. Here some of my prefered units of my elves-try:

Rangers of the Southern Woods
M:2 A:2 (4) LP: 3

• Hunting Instinct:

add one dice to the attack for every lifepoint lost of the target unit

Dryades
M: 2 A: 3 LP:3

• Menace:

This unit gains +1 Attack for every adjacent enemy Caster-, Elite- or Legend-unit

• Magic Armor

crown: Put an Armor token on this unit. If this unit takes damage, remove the token and ignore 1 damage

A4: Cavalry Melee Creature (6 points)
Giant Spiders
M: 4 A: 2 LP: 3

• Terrify:

crown: cause 2 retreats

• Hunting Instinct:

- This unit ignores the reduction of dices caused of flying units. Enemy flying units can not move through this unit

> I know some people don't like giant spiders for an elve fraction. But I really like the mechanic of the unit with its few attacks but big terrifying potencial. May be we find another fluff of a scary unit that aren't spiders?

B5: Cavalry Melee Range Tribal (6 points)
Horseback Rangers
M:3 A: 2 (4) range or 3 melee LP: 3

• Skilled Horsemen:

This unit may choose every time it gets activated between a ranged attack with Hunting Instinct or a melee attack with Fury of the brave

B6: Legend, Melee (8 points)
Tree Giant
M: 2 A: 4 LP: 5

• Wooden Native:

This unit hasn’t to end it’s movement on Forrest or Ford-hexes. Forrests don’t limit the number of attack dices of this unit.

• Armor: 1

This unit may ignore one (single sword) die results produced each combat

• Massive:

This unit cannot move into or occupy building hexes

Edited by phalgast

I would use the term "community made unoffical expansion". Any "officiality" will only be as good as the credit people give it. The goal here is to be by and for the community. It will be print-at-home (or kinko's in my case). I definitely am not the one who decides what the product of this will be. I'll be giving input and helping all I can, but it should be as much a community consensus as possible.

Gotcha, thanks! Good luck with the project!

Do you want to help...?

You have way more experience with Battlelore than the rest of us!

I think the biggest difficulty with creating a community expansion from individual users is that it's hard to incorporate synergy. For example, I think Phalgast's Hunting Instinct ability is very clever. I like it quite a lot. However, it doesn't really mesh with the units I created that have different ideas of synergy.

I think a better place to start might be to summarize the existing armies. What unit composition do they have? What game mechanics do they emphasize in unique ways? What are the mechanical themes of the existing armies? From there, we can begin to identify the unexplored game mechanics we'd like to focus on for the elves. We can then work on a theme for the faction as a whole, as well as cohesive synergies within each army box. Synergy is important. It's something that the Uthuk Y'llan generally lack and many of us feel that this is one of the reasons they are considered a bit weaker than other factions.

I mentioned "theme" above, but perhaps I need another word for that because we also need to consider theme in terms of the Latari Elves. How have they been represented in other Terrinoth games? This will help us make the elves feel right in BattleLore. It also helps us choose units that represent the faction well.

--------------------------------------------------------------

A4: Cavalry Melee Creature (6 points)
Giant Spiders
M: 4 A: 2 LP: 3

• Terrify:

crown: cause 2 retreats

• Hunting Instinct:

- This unit ignores the reduction of dices caused of flying units. Enemy flying units can not move through this unit

> I know some people don't like giant spiders for an elve fraction. But I really like the mechanic of the unit with its few attacks but big terrifying potencial. May be we find another fluff of a scary unit that aren't spiders?

I love spiders, in general (I am an arachnologist). My biggest issue with spiders is, as you pointed out, that they don't really fit with the theme of the Elves. If you look at spiders across Terrinoth, we see them working for the Overlord under the direction of Queen Ariad. To have these same spiders working for the elves creates a dramatic thematic disconnect.

However, I think there is a workaround. When we get fantasy spiders, we often get these mutant combinations of black widows and tarantulas. That's a very specific aesthetic for spiders and doesn't seem elf-like. But we could introduce a more elf-like spider. This could either be a different species, or it could be an example of uncorrupted spiders in Terrinoth. Here is an example of a different spider aesthetic. This is a Running Crab Spider, genus Tibellus . I thought the common name of "running crab spider" fit in with your idea of a cavalry unit.

tibellus_oblongus_whole_6370.jpg

The longer, sleeker abdomen gives it a less menacing look and sort of evokes an image of the long ears of the elves. We could include a spider like this and it wouldn't feel as out-of-place as a Descent spider would. You could also go with a lynx spider look. The green of this spider is an obvious match to the look of the Latari Elves, which are always represented by the color green. Like the philodromid above, this one, too, has a more elongate abdomen than your typical Shelob/Ariad fantasy spider villain. Of course, this is fantasy, so there's no reason we couldn't put a lynx spider color pattern on a philodromid crab spider.

5KTKXKDKHKHS8QC0EQO0PQT0PQO00K9KEQT01QBK

Edited by Budgernaut

Do you want to help...?

You have way more experience with Battlelore than the rest of us!

Don't have time right now, sorry. Plus there's a bunch of super-experienced players here helping (Garrett for example) that are far better than me (I'm not playing BT since we ended the beta for the Waiqars, so, really a lot of time ago)

So go ahead and add stuff to this folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8VbB1XUIreWLXNBSWl3X3QwaTQ?usp=sharing

I'm adding the unit card template now, and I'll have a lore card template up in a day or so to make it easy for people to make cards if they want. Other than that, I would just recommend that people add their own ideas, so that we can then have some idea fuel and do like Budgernaut said. In the end, most ideas probably won't be used, but we'll hopefully end up with a really nice faction in the coming weeks.

So go ahead and add stuff to this folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8VbB1XUIreWLXNBSWl3X3QwaTQ?usp=sharing

I'm adding the unit card template now, and I'll have a lore card template up in a day or so to make it easy for people to make cards if they want. Other than that, I would just recommend that people add their own ideas, so that we can then have some idea fuel and do like Budgernaut said. In the end, most ideas probably won't be used, but we'll hopefully end up with a really nice faction in the coming weeks.

NIce!

Nice project!

Maybe we should make a raw concept of playstyle first. We need to maintain the "asymmetrical army" style in the first part.

Let's break down existing armies for that purpose:

Daqan: (Focus: Melee, Archery, Defense)

-1 Infantry Melee Unit

-1 Archer Unit

-1 Spellcaster Unit

-2 Cavalry Units

-2 Elite Melee Units

-1 Legend Melee Unit (flying)

-1 Legend Archer Unit

Uthuk: (Focus: Melee, Brute Force)

-2 infantry Units

-1 Infantry Archer Unit

-1 Spellcaster Unit

-1 Cavalry Unit

-2 Elite Melee Units

-2 Legend Melee Units (1 semi-flying)

Waiqar: (Focus: Melee, Spellcasting, Mass Infantry)

-2 Infantry Melee Units

-1 Infantry Archer Unit

-1 Spellcaster Unit

-2 Cavalry Units

-1 Elite Melee Unit (semi-flying)

-2 Legend Melee Units (1 flying)

Since we have 1 balanced Army (Daqan), 1 Army lacking of huge Cavalry (Uthuk) and 1 Army lacking of Elites (Waiqar), Elves could be a fraction lacking melee Units with superior Archery and good spellcasters.

One possible concept could look like this:

Latari: (Focus: Archery, Spellcasting, Mobility)

-1 Infantry Archer Unit (Elven Ranger? good standard unit, melee 3 dices, ranged 2 dices, maybe special weakness (since grotesques would cry otherwise))

-1 Spellcaster Unit (Druid? heals other units)

-1 Cavalry Unit (light cavalry, comparable to riverwatch riders)

-2 Elite Units (Pegasus? (1 flying Elite unit would make Elves very special), Centaurs (Yay, Elite Archery is what we need! 3 dices and very fast)

-3 Legend Units (Examples:Tree Demon Ent-like Thing (strong, defensive Unit), Fairy Dragon? (you can never have too many dragons!), Dryad (Exceptional spellcasting unit, but weakest Legend of all (3 HP), maybe summons small animals as blocking minions)

It's just a bare concept.

What do you think?

Edited by Alter Sack

Very Nice! That would be great!

I think the Daqan are already very good at mobility. It's hard to imagine how a faction could be any better. But I agree that the Latari should have a few more ranged units than other factions but should be good at mobility. We need to be careful, though, that the ranged units are not too mobile or the enemy will never catch them while still getting attacked. I think the most mobile units should not be ranged.

I also think the Latari should put out less damage than other races, to compensate for the fact that increased mobility means a better chance at occupying VP hexes. Since VP are how you win, they need some sort of Achilles' heel. Now, they can't be too weak because this is a war game. Grrr. I think it would be awesome if they had a unit that generated more retreats instead of damage, but the Daqan have already taken that idea (Citadel Guard).

I think the Daqan are already very good at mobility. It's hard to imagine how a faction could be any better. But I agree that the Latari should have a few more ranged units than other factions but should be good at mobility. We need to be careful, though, that the ranged units are not too mobile or the enemy will never catch them while still getting attacked. I think the most mobile units should not be ranged.

I also think the Latari should put out less damage than other races, to compensate for the fact that increased mobility means a better chance at occupying VP hexes. Since VP are how you win, they need some sort of Achilles' heel. Now, they can't be too weak because this is a war game. Grrr. I think it would be awesome if they had a unit that generated more retreats instead of damage, but the Daqan have already taken that idea (Citadel Guard).

I feel there's no problem using Advanced Tactics as an ability that the elves could have as well.

Now for faction identity... Why not give them an infantry section that moves quickly, doesn't hit very hard (normally) but causes the enemy to lose their ability to move around and can cause enemy units to also lose their positioning? That combined with some killer archers could give them a nice movement-controlling-arrow-pelting faction identity.

Let's say the spiders would be their go to melee unit. Using the earlier giant spiders as template, I'd take out Terrify and replace it with, let's say...

Elk Spiders (Spider with elk-like horns and eyes, covered in soft, gleaming, light brown fur)

Movement 3, Power 2, Health 3

Hunting instinct

When attacking this unit gains +1 power for each wound the target unit has up to maximum of +2 dice.

Web

Heroic: Place a web token in an adjacent space. Enemy units that are located or enter a space with a web token must stop their movement and become webbed. Flip the web marker to it's webbed side. Webbed units move one less space and webbed units with Flying ability lose their Flying ability. When a player orders a webbed unit, he may spend 2 lore to remove the webbed marker from that unit's hex. Units that are able to move through other units do not become webbed when moving through a space with a webbed marker.

Distruptive and annoying particularly for flyers but may also be used to place a barricade-like line of webbing on the board which protects their archers and casters that pelt the enemy with arrows and magic. Particularly effective if the enemy has already been wounded by a few elven arrows earlier (because of hunting instinct). They should be about the level of 3 dice cavalry with a bit of help from other units with a decently synergistic ability so 6 points feels about right for them.

Edited by barbababa

It would be great if we could create a google doc for discussion of ideas, that way everything can be better organized than in just loose forums.

Edit: Done! In the folder!

I really, really like that web.

Edited by Toenail

I really think that we need to keep latari away from movement or defensive abilities, since Daqan really is pretty solid with that. But what if we created units around the idea of having many options? Like a unit with Mobility 1, on your opponents turn, or something like that.

I really think that we need to keep latari away from movement or defensive abilities, since Daqan really is pretty solid with that. But what if we created units around the idea of having many options? Like a unit with Mobility 1, on your opponents turn, or something like that.

That's what my Forest Guardian does.

"Once per turn, at the end of a step of a player's main phase, this unit may move into or out of a forest hex." It allows the Forest Guardian to move after either player's command step, order step, move step, or attack step.

So far I think the one consensus we have is that the Latari should have more archer/ranged units than the other factions. Please correct me if I'm wrong and that isn't a consensus.

Great project!

Here are my ideas for the Latari Elves from the early days of BattleLore 2nd Ed.
Feel free to pick and choose what you like for your version of the pointy ears faction!

Notes
- The unit rules were kept close to the original two armies to make the new faction easy to use and to provide some balance. If not noted otherwise use the core rules for abilities etc.
- This faction uses a modified Lore deck from the core set. Changes were kept to a minimun.

Latari Elves

Unit: Warriors

Stats: Move 2, Combat 3, Health 3

Traits: Infantry, Melee

Rules: Ambush (This unit fights with full attacks in forest terrain.), Evasive (This unit may ignore 1 damage per combat and suffers 1 retreat instead.)

Cost: 4

Unit: Archers

Stats: Move 2, Combat 2 (1-4), Health 3

Traits: Infantry, Archer, Ranged

Rules: [Heroic] Marksman (Cause 1 damage.)

Unit: Sorceresses

Stats: Move 2, Combat 2 (1-2), Health 3

Traits: Caster, Ranged

Rules: [Lore] Marksman, Aura of Fortitude (Friendly units within 2 hexes of this unit (including this unit) may reroll a single dice each combat (including counters).)

Cost: 5

Unit: Leonx Riders

Stats: Move 3, Combat 3, Health 3

Traits: Cavalry, Melee

Rules: Pursue 2, Superior Tactics

Cost: 6

Unit: Pegasus Riders

Traits: Elite, Melee

Rules: Flying, Mobility 1

Unit: Forest Guardian

Stats: Move 1, Combat 4, Health 6* (* "Damage Token Icon")

Traits: Legend, Melee

Rules: Immovable 1, Massive, [Heroic] Stunning Blow

Cost: 8

Latari Lore Deck

Use the Daqan Lore Deck with the following changes:

• Valor and Vengeance: exchange “Knight” with “Warriors”
  • Take to the Skies: exchange “Roc Warrior” with “Pegasus Riders”
  • Crushing Blow: exchange “Rune Golem” with “Forest Guardian”

Don't let this great game die!

Taking NeoPhysix's idea of archers and changing it a bit.

I believe straight up giving archers a 2-faced damage die is a bit too much. I'd rather change the Marksman ability to become a "Elven Mark: Mark target unit. Ranged units may commit Heroic results as damage against Marked units. 2 Lore to remove." This will up all the archers power level without taking away the possibility of gaining lore (unlike the Viper Legion) but also only buffs ranged units. It can also be removed by the opponent but some marks will likely stick around if archers become the backbone of the Latari army. Also give the archers a passive ability of "Keen eye: If this unit did not move, it can trace line of sight through 1 other unit." Here we have archers that can shoot through other units without needing a hill to stand on with 4 range and potential 2 faces of damage on the die. Seems quite good to me.

Another thing would be to change Latari warrior into a 4 health, 2 power unit, which is more like a wall for the archers and can hold points for them without dealing much damage. I'd give them the Advanced Tactics ability (strike: cause 1 retreat) so they are mostly used for pushing back the enemy by having two faces for retreats and not dealing much damage. They also will not be wiped out with one attack almost ever with their 4 men unit. Cost down to 3 points.

Sorceresses sound okay to me and we can assume they will be chosen often with the archers to support their damage output. I'd remove the Marksman ability though and give them 3 dice attack.

Would need some testing to see how good or bad the abilities would be together (I'm assuming this army would also include the Elk Spiders I wrote up above as another choice for close range control).

Note that I have no idea what the lore for Latari elves is in this world. :D

Edited by barbababa

Latari Elves

Rules: Ambush (This unit fights with full attacks in forest terrain.), Evasive (This unit may ignore 1 damage per combat and suffers 1 retreat instead.)

I really like the Evasive ability. That one is very interesting. Ambush sounds similar to many other abilities people have come up with for the Latari, so I think it's a safe bet we'll include something like that in the end. Whether it's on this unit or not, who knows? But it's a solid ability for elves.

Rules: [Heroic] Marksman (Cause 1 damage.)

I agree with the previous poster that adding an extra damage-dealing face to the die is not good for archers. It broke BattleLore: Command and I think it would break the board game just as much. I think there are more interesting options for archers.

Unit: Sorceresses

Stats: Move 2, Combat 2 (1-2), Health 3

Rules: [Lore] Marksman, Aura of Fortitude (Friendly units within 2 hexes of this unit (including this unit) may reroll a single dice each combat (including counters).)

She should definitely have a combat value of 3 and range of 1-3 to put her in the same category as the other Caster units. I think rerolls are a relatively unexplored aspect of this game, so I think it should be included in the elves, and having the rerolls be from a support ability is even better. That's what my Pegasus Riders do and I think it's a good ability to include for the elves.

Unit: Leonx Riders

Rules: Pursue 2, Superior Tactics

It's a solid unit, but I think we can come up with more interesting abilities than just reusing previous ones.

Rules: Flying, Mobility 1

It's like a miniature Roc Warrior. It has a lower combat value and lower health, but doesn't seem to do anything differently.

Stats: Move 1, Combat 4, Health 6* (* "Damage Token Icon")

Rules: Immovable 1, Massive, [Heroic] Stunning Blow

I think Immovable and Massive make a lot of sense for this unit. I suppose Stunning Blow does, as well, but it just seems so similar to a Rune Golem if it has Stunning Blow and Immovable 1. Also, each army pack has introduced a new status token and no status tokens are reused within main armies; only neutrals. I think we should keep that pattern.

Latari Lore Deck

Use the Daqan Lore Deck with the following changes:

• Valor and Vengeance: exchange “Knight” with “Warriors”
  • Take to the Skies: exchange “Roc Warrior” with “Pegasus Riders”
  • Crushing Blow: exchange “Rune Golem” with “Forest Guardian”

There is no time frame for this project, so I'd rather not use an "easy out" by reusing lore cards. I do think that lore cards need to come after unit design.

Great ideas so far!

But as being said, we should not recycle existing abilities/units, we need to fill gaps instead and create an individual army. I think we should aim at more synergies and refine the rock-paper-scissors system.

What I really like so far is the flying cavalry, Elk Spiders and the evasive Warriors. Ambush is very fluffy, too, Elven warriors are tactical fighters. But we already have Standard Melee Units ignoring forest rules (Reanimates). Maybe give that ability to an elite archer unit, some snipers would perfectly fit to the elves.

Some Ideas (I just take over some of yours which I like):

Rules: Nature Dweller (This unit ignores movement restrictions in forest terrain.), Evasive (This unit may ignore 1 damage per combat and suffers 1 retreat instead.)

Unit: Elk Spiders

Stats: Move 2, Combat 2, Health 3

Rules: Hunting Instinct (When attacking, this unit gains +1 power for each wound the target unit has up to maximum of +2 dice. [Heroic] Place a web token in an adjacent space. Enemy units that are located or enter a space with a web token must stop their movement and become webbed. Flip the web marker to it's webbed side. Webbed units move one less space and webbed units with Flying ability lose their Flying ability. When a player orders a webbed unit, he may spend 2 lore to remove the webbed marker from that unit's hex. Units that are able to move through other units do not become webbed when moving through a space with a webbed marker.

Rules: [Heroic] Mark Target: Place a mark token to the target unit. All ranged attacks targeting a marked unit add one dice. When a player orders a marked unit, he may spend 2 lore to remove the token from that unit's hex.

Unit: Fairies

Stats: Move 2, Combat 3 (1-3), Health 3

Rules: Aura of Fortitude (Friendly units within 2 hexes of this unit (including this unit) may reroll a single dice each combat (including counters).) [Lore] Fairy Luck: Spend 2 lore. Discard one Activation card of your hand and draw a new one.

Rules: Flying, Up in the Air (When activated, the player may choose to rise the riders far up instead of their regular movement. Remove this unit from the battlefield. They may land in a subsequent turn on any hex in a part of the battlefield you have an unused activation for)

Unit: Snipers

Stats: Move 2, Combat 3 (1-4), Health 2

Traits: Elite, Archer, Ranged

Rules: Ambush (This unit fights with full attacks in forest terrain.) Far Shot (When not moving, Range is 2-5)

Unit: Phalanx

Stats: Move 1, Combat 3, Health 4

Rules: Guardian (When a unit in an adjacent hex is attacking another friendly unit, you can force your enemy to attack this unit instead.) [Heroic] If the attacked unit is cavalry: add +1 damage.

Stats: Move 1, Combat 4, Health 6

Rules: Immovable 1, Massive, Living Forest (Once per turn, at the end of a step of a player's main phase, this unit may move into or out of a forest hex.) [Heroic] Sweeping Blow: 1 damage to another adjacent enemy unit.

Unit: Dryad

Stats: Move 2, Combat 4 (1-4), Health 3

Traits: Legend, Ranged, Caster

Rules: [Lore] Spend 2 lore. A friendly unit within 2 hexes (or the Dryad herself) is healed by +1 HP. [Heroic] Add +1 retreat to your attack.

We have some nice synergies here: Phalanx can soak damage, Dryad healing Phalanx, Archers marking units for the snipers and Dryad, spiders webbing hexes. Dryad is very fragile, but effective and hard hitting.

Phalanx is a very good counter to heavy cavalry. Pegasus Riders are the most mobile unit in the game, but leaving the enemy an option to prepare for them. Fairies offer strategical options.

Evasive was useless in the natural habitat of elves. I've fixed that. I also added a mass attack ability to the Forest Guardian, to distinguish him from the Chaos Lord.

I think this is a good mix of defensive, offensive and strategical units. But I guess that's too many ranged units. So expect to have the Dryad be changed.

Another concept for the Dryad:

Unit: Dryad

Stats: Move 2, Combat 4, Health 3

Rules: Mobility 1, [Lore] Spend 2 lore. A friendly unit in within 2 hexes is healed by +1 HP. [Heroic] Summon 1 Unit of Illusion Wolves to an unoccupied adjacent hex. There is a maximum of 3 units available.

Unit: Illusion Wolf

Stats: Move 2, Combat 2, Health 1

Rules: Armor 1, Animal Rush (Spend 2 Lore and activate this unit in addition to your other activations.)

Cost: -

Regards, and keep up the good work!

Edited by Alter Sack

There are so many good ideas in this thread, but I think we need to take a step back. We are each just throwing out our own, fully-developed units for consideration. The thing is, most of these units are designed with other units in mind. I think we need to slow down and make smaller steps with more feedback in between. With that, there are a few things I'd like to propose.

1) I propose we aim to create two fan-made expansions that represent what we would have expected from FFG. This means the number of figures and the their distribution will mirror that of the Undead army packs. Furthermore, each pack will introduce a new status condition, a new 20-card lore deck, and 6 scenario cards. There should also be a new type of terrain tile introduced in each box (though it may be the same tile in both boxes).

2) Assuming we are all on board for #1, I'd like to propose a unit distribution. You can see in this file how many ranged, melee, elite, legend, and cavalry units each faction has. I will describe the current distribution of units, and then propose a new distribution.

First, each faction has an Infantry-Caster-Ranged unit. We normally refer to these as just "casters." I propose we keep things uniform and include an Infantry-Caster-Ranged unit for the elves.

Next, we see that each faction has only 2 Legend units. I think we can follow that trend as well.

When we start looking at Cavalry, Infantry (non-caster), and Elite units, things start getting messy.

Daqan: 2 Infantry, 2 Cavalry, 2 Elite

Uthuk: 3 Infantry, 1 Cavalry, 2 Elite

Undead: 3 Infantry, 2 Cavalry, 1 Elite

I'm not exactly sure where to take the Elves at this point. I'm inclined to give them 2 Infantry, 2 Cavalry, and 2 Elite, like the Daqan. We could, however, make the distribution crazy and go with 1 Infantry, 3 Cavalry, 2 Elite, or 1 Inantry, 2 Cavalry, and 3 Elite. However, I think we want at least 2 Infantry -- a melee infantry unit and an archer-ranged infantry unit. Given that the lore has two awesome mounts for the Latari, I am partial to giving them 2 Cavalry as well (being the Pegasus Rider and Leonx Rider of previous games). However, a case could be made for making the Pegasus Rider a Legend unit, in which case I could be convinced to have a single Cavalry unit, like the Uthuk. Or we could get really crazy and make a Legend-Cavalry unit, but now we're getting ahead of ourselves.

I don't want to get into details about box distribution just yet, but we know we'll have 9 different units, so I propose the following units:

-Infantry, Archer, Ranged

-Infantry, Melee

-Infantry, Caster, Ranged

-Cavalry

-Cavalry

-Elite

-Elite

-Legend

-Legend

You'll note that I haven't added melee or ranged to most of these. I think those choices will depend on the specific unit and how much we want to focus on ranged attacks for the Latari. Even if we agree on this distribution now, we can still make changes later, if we'd like. For example, if the Pegasus Rider becomes Legend instead of Cavalry (assuming we keep the Pegasus Rider), we could add a 3rd Elite or 4th Infantry unit.

EDIT: Sorry, Alter Sack, I just realized you did the same thing on the first page. I feel embarrassed now.

Edited by Budgernaut

I've actually almost finished my first draft of the elven troops. I'll post them up here when I do. They're based off of Budgernaut's idea (which was my favorite of those I've seen posted). I'd post them now, but I'm still tweaking 2-3 of the units and I've yet to have a really great idea for their tile.

I'd actually like to talk with you all about the tile a little bit. The thing is, Daqan and Waiqar have great tiles. Uthuk's tile is the worst (poor Uthuk got a lot of crap stuff in Warband of Scorn. At least that got that big beetle and berzerkers). Daqan Tile is good because it's easily usable by their 3 separate ranged units and fairly usable by both their cavalry and the Roc warrior with a little forethought. The Waiqar tile is good because it allows you to be more reckless with some of your units and wear your opponent down more quickly. The Uthuk tile is mostly difficult to use because it's almost never worth it to spend orders sending a unit away from the fight to heal and then more orders taking them back up.

Honestly, the tile will need to be made after we decide the units because I want to avoid the Uthuk situation where the tile is super difficult to use effectively. As a side note, the Uthuk tile would probably be quite useful if it was able to be positioned further forward. Maybe it could be placed like the barricade? That could be too much freedom, but maybe just being able to move it a hex or two from its initial position would make it better? Probably the wrong thread for this but it's at least sort of relevant to the idea of making a tile for the elves

Edited by Willange