Latari Elves Collaboration

By Willange, in BattleLore

@Telethia There are some very neat ideas here. It amazes me just how versatile the BattleLore 2E system is for making custom units. Below are some of your abilities that stand out to me as being particularly original.

Rampant Growth: I never considered giving a unit a bonus for eliminating an enemy unit. It reminds me a lot of the Renowned mechanic in Magic: The Gathering. It's a neat way of putting emphasis on individual units. Unfortunately, I don't think your Huron will work very well. As a melee unit, you need to get adjacent to try to deal damage, and with only a single combat die, you'll have trouble eliminating a unit. If you try and fail, you're likely to get countered hard. How would you feel about a base of 2 combat dice and adding 2 when they gain a veteran token? That makes it more likely for them to take out a unit in the first place, but doesn't make them overpowered (after all, Berserkers and Reanimates can also get to 4 dice). Also, I struggle with the theme of a combat-value-1 unit suddenly gaining a combat value of 4 just because it took down an enemy. That's quite a jump.

Deadly Withdrawal: I love this idea! I never considered rolling a die as a reaction to another occurrence. It slightly adds to the complexity of the game, but I think for a fourth faction, it's an okay time to do this. When you really break it down, though, this is like a 1-die counter attack with the Ferocity ability the Obscenes have. One thing it does allow you to do is hit a Riverwatch Rider when retreating since this ability isn't considered a counter. Since Deadly Withdrawal is weaker than Ferocity, how does the rest of the unit compare? Getting a movement of 4 instead of 1 is quite a boon. Also, 3 dice is still pretty good compared to 4. The Agility ability also makes Leonx Riders more durable. They seem quite strong. When I think about them compared to other 6-cost units, I think they need to be taken down a notch. I think lowering their combat value to 2 would be something to consider. It's definitely weaker, but with their agility ability, they don't fear the counter attack as much and may actually get some damage out of it. And with a movement value of 4, being forced to retreat is not so detrimental, since they can quickly get back into the fight.

Again, I really like the thought behind those two abilities. Now I'll address the other units.

Elf Warden: He's too good, hands down. He moves like a common footsoldier, hits like an Obscene, and can act as a caster. I would consider dropping the combat value by 1 all around. So he would have a melee attack of 3 and a ranged attack of 2, but I would still keep the ranged attack to range 1-3. Actually, I have a question about Marksman. You said "at range 3." Does that mean he can only attack units 3 hexes away, or did you mean range 1-3? Having the versatility to choose between melee or ranged is definitely worth a drop in combat value.

Ent: It's very similar to a Chaos Lord. Basically, you're valuing +1 movement and the ability to immobilize as being equal to causing two retreats on a heroic [crown] result. It seems better than the Chaos Lord, but dropping either movement or combat value seems to put it beneath the Chaos Lord.

Elven Archer: I think a combat value of 3 is really good for a range 1-4 unit. When you add the ability to ignore blocking terrain, it makes these guys very powerful. I would suggest knocking the combat value to 2 and changing Sharpshooter to read something like, "This unit may ignore one hex of obstruction when determining line of sight. If there are no obstructions between you and the target, add one combat die." So if you take advantage of hiding behind things, you are less accurate, but can still take the shot. If you have a clear shot to the target, it is more deadly.

Appreciate the feedback Bludger!

Hurons: the idea behind the vetting theme is that they kind of...eat? an enemy unit and that allows them to grow (Hurons are like little tree sorts of people, just to clarify). The reason I put their combat value low is half to emphasize that the elves really prefer archers over infantry, and also to give vetting more of an impact (I have a lore card about it, just haven't posted it yet). However, now that I'm looking at it, I think that 2 combat dice and only gaining 2 from vet is fair; I had changed it to that at one point but swapped back, time to swap it again ;)

Lenox: After knocking the wardens down a notch (I agree, they're strong), these guys will really be the core elven melee unit, so I'm not sure I'd bring down their combat right away, but it may be warranted all the same. I wondering what you'd think of simply bringing their movement down, maybe even to 2. Riding a giant cat isn't going to be as quick as a horse, plus could you imagine actually trying to get a cat where you want to go.... I'm eager to see what you think of the card that goes along with them once I get it up as well; although I'm thinking you might even push harder for the attack drop afterwards.

Warden: Attack drop by 1 seems fair as you can never really have a bad roll with Precision. I meant the range to be 1-3 you're correct; I wanted him to be able to act as an archer if the situation called for it.

Archers: For these guys, I tried to simply compare them to the other archers. They roll 1 less attack die total when compared to YA, and they only have a 1/3 chance to damage or retreat an enemy when compared with the undead and uthuk who throw in a chance to get a special effect off. Only ignoring one blocking hex was actually my original wording, but I changed it because of the "expansion" which replies much more on forest hexes and I didn't want to impact their viability in that way. I do quite like your idea though...

Ent: Yeah, I wasn't really certain what to do with this guy. I could see lowering his movement, but just for fun let me throw in an ability I came up with originally for him (but decided it may be cool for a dwarf faction): Didn't Come up With A Cool Name: This unit may move into water spaces. When this unit occupies a water space, allied units can treat Downriver water spaces as fords. Downriver is defined as all water spaces from the occupied space leading to the nearest lake. If there is no lake joining the river, then Downriver is away from the controlling player. I definitely want the Ent to be more of a support role, but you're right, he is similar to the Chaos Lord. I wouldn't be opposed to removing a health, movement, or replacing Immovable with something else. Something like the giant's rock throw maybe.

I'll put up the lore cards later tonight.

I think immovable 1 is too thematic for ent, so I wouldn't drop that. What if we pushed it further and made it Immovable 2, but it only had speed 1? It becomes even more of a lumbering, unstoppable force. It may take a while to get into combat, but oncr there, it's not leaving. My only concern is how to deal with it on a VP banner. Oh, it should also be Massive so that it can't enter building hexes.

Your ford idea is neat. I would simplify it to, "Allied units may treat water hexes adjacent to you as having ford tokens." Only trouble is, what if a unit is on a water hex and the Ent moves away?

I think actually lowering its combat would be good to cement it as more of a tank with which to hold the VP, and less of a mainstay attacker which should be filled by cav and archers, as well as giving the other player a chance to attack it without getting utterly mauled by a counter. Still considering the movement change, but it could drop a hit point instead just to prevent it from holding a VP no matter what.

I'm still not sold on giving this guy the ford idea as I think it would be cool for my still hypothetical Dwarf faction, but I do like your wording of the ability better, much easier and still functional. Also, if the unit moves away, I think 2 things could happen: 1) The units are fine and can just leave the water as normal, or 2) you have to roll a combat dice and resolve Strike and Morale (maybe Cleave, but that seems really punishing) results.

I added the edits into the main post. Formatting the cards from excel is being a bugger, so they probably won't be up for another couple of hours while I finish up work.

Edited by Telethia

Here are the promised lore cards. The costs are a pretty rough estimate, and I'd imagine that main place they can be tweaked besides better wording.

Arcane Convergence

Cost- 9

Number of Cards- 1

Play Before Your Command Step

You may play an additional Lore Card this turn. Lore results that you roll this turn may be committed as a Strike or Crown result.

Lead the Charge

Cost- 7

Number of Cards- 1

Play Before Your Attack Step

Whenever one of your Lenox Riders deals damage to an enemy unit this turn, you may move an unordered unit that is two or less spaces from the damaged unit and attack with it.

Battle Hardened

Cost- 6

Number of Cards- 2

Play After One of Your Units Takes Damage

Place a Veteran token on the unit that took damage. Veteran units roll 3 bonus attack dice and may ignore one retreat per combat.

Aftershock

Cost- 5

Number of Cards- 1

Play Before Rolling Combat Dice

Roll 2 extra dice this combat. If your unit kills the enemy unit, but has not committed all of its dice, you may commit the remaining dice against an enemy unit adjacent to the destroyed unit. The adjacent unit cannot counter as a result of this attack.

Stranglethorns

Cost- 5

Number of Cards- 1

Play Before The Opponent's Command Step

Every time the opposing player removes a root token from one of his or her units this turn, that unit takes 1 damage.

Galeforce

Cost- 4

Number of Cards- 2

Instead of advancing, your attacking unit may move 2 hexes and attack again. The opponent may not counter attack during the second attack.

Awaken the Trees

Cost- 4

Number of Cards- 2

Play Before Your Move Step

During your move step, choose a unit in or adjacent to a forest hex. If that unit ends its movement in a clear hex, move the forest hex that they began their movement on to their current hex.

No Quarter

Cost- 4

Number of Cards- 1

Any Morale results you roll this turn may be committed to cause 1 damage

Aspir

Cost- 4

Number of Cards- 1

Play After Your Command Step

Choose a section of the board. This turn, all of your units in that section gain 1 movement, and their ranged attacks gain +2 range.

Enchanted Arrows

Cost- 4

Number of Cards- 1

Play After Your Move Step

During this turn, friendly units have double their maximum range and ignore units and blocking terrain when determining line of sight. In addition, damage caused by their attacks cannot be ignored.

Into the Night

Cost- 3

Number of Cards- 1

Play An Enemy Combat Roll

Your unit ignores all effects of the enemy roll and may move spaces up to its movement value.

Bloom

Cost- 2

Number of Cards- 1

You may root two additional units adjacent to the rooted unit.

Zephyr Blade

Cost- 2

Number of Cards- 2

Play After An Enemy Unit Moves or Retreats 2 or More Spaces

Deal one damage to the moved unit.

Purge the Land

Cost- 2

Number of Cards- 1

Play W hen an Enemy in or Adjacent to Hill, Water or Forest Hex is Defeated

Gain 1 VP.

Nutrient

Cost- 0

Number of Cards- 2

Play After Rooting An Enemy Unit

You gain 3 lore and the opposing player loses 1.

Total Lore Cost for all cards: 61

Total Cards: 20

Edited by Telethia

Awajen the Trees and Galeforce are my favorites. Very neat!

And some expansion units:

Pegasus Archer

Cavalry, Ranged

Cost- 6

Movement- 3

Combat- 3

Health- 3

Flying

Parthian Tactics: This unit may move a total of 3 spaces per turn, not including advances. This spaces may be moved before or after your attack step, or a combination of the two.

This guy might be a bit too strong. I'm thinking of adding an ability where Archer units gain 1 attack die against it, or removing flying and making the creature under the elf something else.

Geomancer

Caster, Ranged

Cost- 5

Movement- 2

Combat- 2

Health- 3

Geomancy: You may commit a Crown result to change the target's current hex into a forest. The hex still keeps all of its non-terrain properties (such as relating to victory conditions or having a VP banner).

Druid

Caster, Ranged

Cost- 6

Movement- 3

Combat- 3

Health- 3

Nature's Madness: You may commit crown results to deal 2 damage to the target unit if they are in or adjacent to a forest hex, or if they are rooted.

These guys might seem a little op, and I've actually considered changing them into an Arch-druid or something to become a second legend, but they're a little less overbearing when you lose an attack die if the enemy is actually inside a forest hex.

Moonblade Assassin

Elite, Melee

Cost- 6

Movement- 2

Combat- 3

Health- 3

Backstab: This unit rolls 1 extra die if it is closer to the enemy's side of the board than its target.

Shadowstep: During your move step, you may pay 2 lore to place this unit in or adjacent to a Forest hex.

Glade

Unique Hex

Cost- 2

This hex is considered a forest hex. If an ordered unit begins its turn on this hex, gain 1 lore and play up to 2 lore cards this turn.

This is what I came up with for a unique hex, accentuating the elves' mystical qualities, as well as letting them pay for an extra forest.

Edited by Telethia

Hi, any clue why FFG didn't released yet the latari elves faction? i would buy it straight...

17 minutes ago, SpainRuneLord said:

Hi, any clue why FFG didn't released yet the latari elves faction? i would buy it straight...

Not sure entirely, but check out this link: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1764852/jonathan-ying-talks-about-battlelore . In it, one of the developers gives his perspective on why we haven't seen more BattleLore content.

And I agree with you. If they released elves, I would buy them instantly!

One of the former developers (Jon's not working at FFG anymore). Which is probably why he's allowed to talk about this stuff

EDIT: whoops wrong thread

Edited by Manchu

This thread is interesting.

it's very difficult to find figurines of the good size...

For the moment " Darnati Warrior" (left) for archer (middle) (Caesar Miniature box F102)
s-l500.jpg

"Forest Guardian" (SAPROLING WARRIOR > bones reaper)

6202.jpg

The unit scion would be perfect. He is a little taller than a Chaos Lord

Scion for unit "Legend"

Good for my project

955301lat.jpg

Edited by Vendetta64

I'm making my own elf faction using many ideas from this forum and the Rune Wars board game (not the miniatures game of the same name) and mostly from Tolkien and Piers Anthony

1. Infantry: Elves

2. Infantry: Elves

3. Caster: Druids

4. Archers: Elves

5. Cavalry/Archer: Centaurs

6. Cavalry: Unicorns

7. Elite/Cavalry: Pegasus Riders

8. Elite: Ents

9. Legend: Treebeard (large tree man)

10. Legend: Spirit Hound

11. Special: Entling (saplings, appear with lore card)

Honorable mentions, elvish attack wolves, Angels (some sort of way cool flying elvish unit) Elvin Queen