Reducing Setup Time

By player343332, in Road to Legend

Any tips on how to reduce the setup time it takes for RTL? I have pretty much a complete collection, and my group points out that it takes forever to find the right tiles, spawn monsters, etc. Curious as to how others are dealing with this.

Also, I think the way the app tells you to layout things is kind of cumbersome. I think it would be better to show you all at once so you can it laid out quicker.

1) Replace damage and fatigue tokens with D20 or D6 dice (especially for the heroes)

2) Create a sorted storage system for your tiles. I have a box with multiple levels to have all tiles from a certain number range together. Very usefull. Keep in mind that all RTL missions feature the tiles from the base game (most missions have tiles only from the base game), so it makes sense to have the 1-30 tile range separate.

3) Regarding Monsters: I have them in a gridded foam for organization and protection (since they are painted). Increases the volume, but makes searching for monsters faster.

4) One thing I maybe want to build: some sort of foarmboard-based organization for the condition tokens and cards. Take a look at Atom4geVampires organization solution. It's awesome.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/175326-storage-and-organization-of-tiles/

As far as tiles go, I've had great success using a couple of expanding file folders. (these are something of a cross between a manilla folder and an accordion)

I have the tiles separated into sections - base set tiles into sections of 5 (1-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc), expansions are in 1 or 2 sections each.

The fact that the base tiles are used so frequently is why I divvy them up in small chunks - I don't want to be sorting through 30 odd tiles every time.

For everything else, I have separate zip loc bags for each set of class cards, class archetypes, conditions, etc...

As for the recommendation of Chaoticus - Atom4geVampires setup is amazing, and one day I fully intend to build something similar, but for now this is what I use.

CD binders work well for tiles and plano trays for tokens/figures. The binder allows you to easily flip through each section of tiles, I sort them by expansion with easy to read labels from 1-XX. I've painted my minis and used Testors dullcoat on them, I store them in the plano 3700 regular and deep series and never once had a problem with chipping or paint wearing off. I use citadel paints though, not sure if quality of paint would make a difference. The 3600 trays are compact and work great for the tokens and dice. Everything is laid out nice and neat in front of you and you can easily grab monster groups and replace them in the trays as needed. The 3700 deep series also holds the smaller cards standing up, and the larger cards turned sideways. But I have a cardbox for the larger cards.. Set up/take down time has been cut in half since I started doing this and the overall investment was about $40 USD taxes in.

Edited by FrogTrigger