Research encounters that don't say "Gain This Clue"

By syrilian, in General Discussion

So I recently picked up the expansion with Hastur and I noticed that some of the research encounters do not say "gain this clue." So I played it literally and did not gain the clue. Did I play that correctly?

I noticed that some of the research encounters do not say "gain this clue." So I played it literally and did not gain the clue. Did I play that correctly?

Yes.

Edited by tsuma534

Also, the clue stays on the board, it isn't removed. Similarly, if you're trying to close a gate, and it doesn't say Close the Gate, then it doesn't happen.

Also, the clue stays on the board, it isn't removed. Similarly, if you're trying to close a gate, and it doesn't say Close the Gate, then it doesn't happen.

True, but the point is that there are no OW encounters (unless something different was done for Carcosa) where the option of closing the gate is not present, while there are some research encounters not allowing you to gain the clue.

Thematically, the presence of the clue on the board represents something mysterious you can investigate; the result of this research (if fruitful) can be a piece of evidence (thus, gaining the clue from the board and sometimes gaining an extra clue as well), OR something different (an item, a benefical condition, and so on)

... the point is that there are no OW encounters (unless something different was done for Carcosa) where the option of closing the gate is not present ...

This still holds with Signs of Carcosa: every OW encounter includes means whereby you can close a gate. In some cases it requires more than just passing a skill test, for instance you may need to spend clues, but regardless the option is still present.

Thanks for confirming this, Richard

... the point is that there are no OW encounters (unless something different was done for Carcosa) where the option of closing the gate is not present ...

This still holds with Signs of Carcosa: every OW encounter includes means whereby you can close a gate. In some cases it requires more than just passing a skill test, for instance you may need to spend clues, but regardless the option is still present.

I'm pretty sure I remember that Nikki stated explicitly that there will never be OW encounters that don't have any possibility of closing the gate.

Weird, maybe I'm mistaken, but I was sure I encountered gates that didn't have a method of closing... Or maybe I'm confusing it between pass/fail conditions.

Weird, maybe I'm mistaken, but I was sure I encountered gates that didn't have a method of closing...

As far as I remember, there are some rare tricky gates that...

...have a method of closing in the fail effect, and no closing method in the pass effect. If you only have read through the pass effect...

...you could be under impression that there was no closing option.

Edited by tsuma534

Weird, maybe I'm mistaken, but I was sure I encountered gates that didn't have a method of closing... Or maybe I'm confusing it between pass/fail conditions.

There is one OW encounter in which a gate is not closed. I think it's in Under the Pyramids. However, upon successfully completing the OW, you pick up a Unique Asset Ally whose ability lets you close any gate you want. He's some kind of minister.