Rules or Ideas for targeting Body Zones?

By Lautrer, in WFRP House Rules

What If I want to cut the Head off my enemy with my sword???

Has anybody some rules or ideas? Or have I wait until FFG releases the Real Gritty Advanced Combat Box for 39,90 $ ?

I was working on just such a system right now. I want to use the old crit tables from 1st edition and so far I have ditched the severity from that system and just have the crit entry used equal to the damage caused (when a crit occurs.) Using my variable damage system it can generate some colourful results.

Now I just need a way to determine hit location from the dice pool rolled, that would be appropriate for starting, small pool characters as well as "end game" Rank 12, or whatever.

The best I can do so far is roll [W] :

Blank, Blank - Body

Challenge, Success - Body

Challenge, Blank - Right Arm

Success, Blank - Left Arm

Bane, Blank - Right Leg

Boon, Blank - Left Leg

Boon, Bane - Head

Edit: It would help if I remember the Boon and Bane too.

I would probably add one or more challenge dice for an targeted attack and then lower the target defence and/or soak value to reflect hitting a person without a helmet. If the target was an weaponarm, a success could result in a dropped weapon. I would wing it depending on the RP's description and his/her expected result.

This is probably the only time I would go with added challenge dice instead of misfortune dice during a melee combat check.

ExInferis said:

I would probably add one or more challenge dice for an targeted attack and then lower the target defence and/or soak value to reflect hitting a person without a helmet. If the target was an weaponarm, a success could result in a dropped weapon. I would wing it depending on the RP's description and his/her expected result.

This is probably the only time I would go with added challenge dice instead of misfortune dice during a melee combat check.

Ok. This is a way to overcome armor, but if just want (ignoring Soak or defense) hit the head or another vital zone?

Maybe we can put this into an action card.

Action: Strike Vital Zone (reckless card side) (This could be a human head or a vital point of a monster) - 5 recharge tokens!

1 Challenge Dice + 1 misfortune dice activation cost

1 success: normal strike with 1/2 damage rounded down

2 successes: hit for Dmg + 4

3 successes: hit for Dmg +6

1 Boon: target gets 1 fatique and is "stunned"

2 Boon: target gets 1 fatique 1 stress and 1 critical

something like that...

i have to work it out when I'm at home... have to work now ;)

There has to be an action like "Strike Limb" or sth.
The results have to offer certain criticals special for limbs, with resluts like "broken" or "cut off"...

I think I have to buy color cardridges for my printer gui%C3%B1o.gif

Lautrer said:

Ok. This is a way to overcome armor, but if just want (ignoring Soak or defense) hit the head or another vital zone?

I think that adding a challenge dice or two can represent the added difficulty to hit a vital zone. If a hit is successful then depending on what bodypart is hit and what the initial effect the RP was describing, Other than calculate damage, with or without an defense or soak adjustment, I would add suitable in game effect such Staggered, Blind or Silenced (house rule).

RP - I'm using my position from behind to slash the guard over the face/throat with my dagger in an attempt to stop him from screaming for help.

GM - Hitting the face is +2 challeng dice since your trying to hit an small vital zone. If you fail you are opening yourself for an attack and loose your active defenses for this round. Boons could include soak diminishers or in this example add recharge tokens to the condition card where it represent a prolonged effect when the guard is silensed for a few rounds while his mouth is full of blood or his throat took a heavy hit. I'm usually making up these effects as we play depending what type of encounter and what the RP is trying to do according to his/her description.

English isn't my mother tounge so I apologise if I'm not making any sense with my ramblings.

I really like the idea of having a specific action card for the occation.

What do you think about it?

Oh sh... I always forget those fortune dice symbols. There has to be one between "suffered add" and "to your dice pool.".

do5v-2.gif

Tomorrow I will add the "reckless" side of Vital Strike.

This card work is really great, but if it has to be a card, it should be a basic card given for free.... Everybody is able to target a body zone. Even some non-fighting office lady can kick your b...ls to freeze for some rounds or smash your face with her finger-ringed hand.

That's why I'd rather look for a "more challenge dice and extra conditions" option.

Thank you for your commendation. Yes, you are right. That's something I thought about, too. Maybe a additional "Misfortune" will do it.

I'm just working at a WH3 Fansite where I can "host" my own cards. Than I will add a special note and add the reckless side. "Vicious Criticals" will follow thereafter! gran_risa.gif

willmanx said:

This card work is really great, but if it has to be a card, it should be a basic card given for free.... Everybody is able to target a body zone. Even some non-fighting office lady can kick your b...ls to freeze for some rounds or smash your face with her finger-ringed hand.

That's why I'd rather look for a "more challenge dice and extra conditions" option.

I disagree. For someone untrained in fighting or weapon use, even in a high adrenaline situation, there will be a hesitancy to go for vital strikes (such as going for the eyes).

I like this as an action card, but I think I would have a requirement that Weapon Skill must be trained.