It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

By FSD, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

New raid mode today.

But that pales in comparison to the confirmation that new physical product will not be coming due to "business reasons."

17 hours ago, Strawhat said:

New raid mode today.

But that pales in comparison to the confirmation that new physical product will not be coming due to "business reasons."

Where was that indicated?

1 hour ago, Kunitzu San said:

Where was that indicated?

The AMA

Anyone know the time stamp for the IA discussion?

The scary part of that was not knowing if it would get regular reprints went ahead and finished buying what I needed

1 hour ago, FrogTrigger said:

Anyone know the time stamp for the IA discussion?

25:27.

Having finally found and watch that part, it seems obvious that there would be legal trouble if he talked about it in any more detail. He shuts down and says “business reason.” Given the tone in the rest of the Q&A, he wouldn’t be doing that if he had a choice.

15 hours ago, Master Wang said:

25:27.

Having finally found and watch that part, it seems obvious that there would be legal trouble if he talked about it in any more detail. He shuts down and says “business reason.” Given the tone in the rest of the Q&A, he wouldn’t be doing that if he had a choice.

Just watched the section in the stream about Imperial Assault, and that is certainly disappointing that, at least for the foreseeable, no new larger physical products are being made. It is, however, encouraging that the app will continue to be supported with new modes of play. I would love to play the Raid Modes, but I can't get my hands on the gamemats (shakes fist to sky)!

As much as I love Imperial Assault and as much as it bums me out that more won't be made any time soon, I do agree with Andrew to a certain point that the line has had a full life. There are so many expansions, figures, mats, and modes of play that I would say it's had a good life. Plus, I think the app allows them as developers to try and experiment with new modes of play that will keep some of the player-base satisfied and use those learnings into future creative endeavors. I do hope that they will be able to continue printing and releasing the other expansion content, like @DelGriffen mentioned.

"We only have so much bandwidth and we want to focus on the things that are exciting us in the moment."

This is the key line right there. This makes me think it has nothing to do with licensing, it simply boils down to the fact that they want to throw their full support into Legion. Imperial Assault draws resources as we've discussed in the other thread, it's a miniatures game in part, it's directly competing with Legion internally and maybe even externally in the playerbase.

IA is a casualty of Legion. For Legion to succeed they needed the resources that were already dedicated to developing physical product for IA. And that is business.

1 hour ago, FrogTrigger said:

"We only have so much bandwidth and we want to focus on the things that are exciting us in the moment."

This is the key line right there. This makes me think it has nothing to do with licensing, it simply boils down to the fact that they want to throw their full support into Legion. Imperial Assault draws resources as we've discussed in the other thread, it's a miniatures game in part, it's directly competing with Legion internally and maybe even externally in the playerbase.

IA is a casualty of Legion. For Legion to succeed they needed the resources that were already dedicated to developing physical product for IA. And that is business.

I think you're probably right, but if that is indeed the case, would it have killed them to do one more wave with Yoda, Zuckuss and 4-LOM, and Scout Bikes (or just Scout Troopers)? That would have basically completed the game, particularly if an Endor campaign box accompanied it, though that's less necessary... those are the three things that nearly everyone identifies as being missing from the game.

(Yeah, OK, you can think of more if you try - Rogue One characters, Rex, probably about a trillion obscure no-recognition characters from various off-spins or comics or whatever; but Yoga and co are just missing , the game is incomplete without them).

I totally get it if they've decided to throw resources on Legion, but could they really not be bothered to do just one more wave? Would three more IA Ally/Villain Packs really have doomed the whole Legion game to failure? Would that really have killed them? Did they care about this so little? It's always a shame when the fans care more for something than the creators do.

So I'd prefer to choose to believe that some evil nasty lawyers at Disney or Hasbro decided to pull a d*ck move because they've got to justify their pay cheque somehow. It's a more comforting narrative (lawyers are evil, news at eleven) than that game designers just stopped caring about something that we care about so much.

@FrogTrigger gets it. Anyone else who genuine believes this was anyone’s fault but FFG is seriously deluded.

I’m sorry the game is losing its support. I would love more content.

but the simple fact is my collection at home will get played for campaign long after FFG stopped making things for me to buy.

I’m out.

Was fun while it lasted. Catch you all on the flip side.

I am *still* not interested in Legion.

I'm just hoping they keep printing IA for a while yet so I can finish my collection.

It's a shame they've thrown IA under the bus just to focus on Legion sales.

I'm still heavily into XW, Armada and FFGs other board games but as for ground combat - I'm trying Kill Team for the first time tomorrow - and I haven't played any GW stuff for 7 years and never thought I would again (I played 40k from 1st edition to the 6th).

Edited by Gallanteer

Maybe we should have asked a more specific question to FFG when we had the opportunity:

Is FFG producing any more physical content or app content for Imperial Assault?

Our group recently completed the Return to Hoth campaign on Legends of the Alliance and we had an absolute blast with it!

We're still missing campaigns for: Twin Shadows, The Bespin Gambit, Heart of the Empire, Tyrants of Lothal.

And imagine a campaign that combines multiple boxed expansions...

I asked via email when we could expect raid maps and got told to keep checking the news page.

1 hour ago, Estarriol said:

I asked via email when we could expect raid maps and got told to keep checking the news page.

they hate us. hahaha

Apparently a lot of these recent layoffs were in their Interactive department, IE the app department. Not sure if this makes sense as LOTR is fresh and is an app driven game.. but I wonder what it means for the future of IA's app content?

You should know better...

Some unrelated branch shutting down doesn't mean diddle for LotA. It's as unlikely to get new content as before.

(And I don't even know what diddle means in this context. -- Edit: apparently nothing. Replace with "dit" or somesuch word. Edit2: diddly was the word I was thinking... as in diddly squat.)

Edited by a1bert

Pretty big bummer for the LOTR game.

I'm sure a lot of fans bought into that with the expectation that it would receive support for far longer.

3 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Pretty big bummer for the LOTR game.

I'm sure a lot of fans bought into that with the expectation that it would receive support for far longer.

Which LOTR game are you referring to? I’ve already been corrected on this myself (so credit to Majushi), but the dept that was shut down was only working on the LOTR LCG video game. If you’re referring to JIME, it should be (relatively) unaffected.

2 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Which LOTR game are you referring to? I’ve already been corrected on this myself (so credit to Majushi), but the dept that was shut down was only working on the LOTR LCG video game. If you’re referring to JIME, it should be (relatively) unaffected.

Yeah, I was referring to Journeys.

Thanks for the clarification!

Well when the studio head suddenly has to "be moving on to the next step of his professional journey, exploring new possibilities and creating new experiences" along with a lot of other people, it means this game is done and it is unlikely to be the only one. The real warning sign came back when FFG couldn't pony up for the Netrunner license and they started canning games. They'll be milking the great sellers for all they're worth and dumping all the smaller stuff.

2 hours ago, DelGriffen said:

Interesting they bring up the Marvel deal.

I wonder if that's hurt or helped FFG. Just a guess, but I'd imagine most fans looking for a Marvel card game would've already been pretty invested with Legendary.

I'm hardly an expert, and I don't know the analytics of what does and doesn't sell, but as a fan myself I know I was immediately disappointed with what FFG did with the Marvel license. I would've totally shelled out for a quality board game. The CCG/LCG markets just seem so specific, and so oversaturated right now. Miniature wargaming, too.

Then again, maybe Marvel just isn't quite a good fit for the tabletop gaming industry, given its surely expensive license (outside of something like Hasbro). I mean, it's also been pretty widely mismanaged in video games, too. Anyone sitting on the Marvel video game license has a veritable goldmine under them, but Spiderman PS4 is one of the few good games under it from the last decade .

Edited by subtrendy2
57 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Interesting they bring up the Marvel deal.

I wonder if that's hurt or helped FFG. Just a guess, but I'd imagine most fans looking for a Marvel card game would've already been pretty invested with Legendary.

I'm hardly an expert, and I don't know the analytics of what does and doesn't sell, but as a fan myself I know I was immediately disappointed with what FFG did with the Marvel license. I would've totally shelled out for a quality board game. The CCG/LCG markets just seem so specific, and so oversaturated right now. Miniature wargaming, too.

Then again, maybe Marvel just isn't quite a good fit for the tabletop gaming industry, given its surely expensive license (outside of something like Hasbro). I mean, it's also been pretty widely mismanaged in video games, too. Anyone sitting on the Marvel video game license has a veritable goldmine under them, but Spiderman PS4 is one of the few good games under it from the last decade .

Asmodee and Atomic Mass Games- Brand new Marvel skirmish battle game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/285905/marvel-crisis-protocol/videos/all

Game plays like IA and pieces of legion fused together. Small team battles (5v5).

Cool stuff.

Edited by King_Balrog
1 hour ago, King_Balrog said:

Asmodee and Atomic Mass Games- Brand new Marvel skirmish battle game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/285905/marvel-crisis-protocol/videos/all

Game plays like IA and pieces of legion fused together. Small team battles (5v5).

Cool stuff.

I think Soreatro is already doing a painting series for this game.

Crisis protocols is an awesome rules set. Miniatures are fun to paint, I think it has some serious legs