It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

By FSD, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Destiny ending too, now.

Things must be pretty bad ☹️

1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

Destiny ending too, now.

Things must be pretty bad ☹️

In fairness, Destiny didn't have mass appeal and hasn't been selling well for a very long time. The first set sold well. The second set changed the feel of the game from fun and casual competitive to fast and cutthroat. I don't think that's what a lot of people were looking for and no subsequent set sold as well as those initial packs. I was actually a little surprised to find that FFG was still producing Destiny. I hadn't seen any in a gaming store (I frequent multiple) for so long that I assumed the game had been cancelled already.

Hopefully we get a co-op LCG now!

52 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

I was actually a little surprised to find that FFG was still producing Destiny. I hadn't seen any in a gaming store (I frequent multiple) for so long that I assumed the game had been cancelled already.

This.

After they kicked a bunch of people out the door I wouldn't be expecting anything new like a SW co-op LCG. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind playing one at all, just umm, yeah no. They are trimming the fat all the way down for a sell off. The sooner that happens the better.

The only thing surprising to me about the Destiny announcement is that it was made it all. I figured they just let it slow die off into the sunset without so much of an announcement but to make one just as the last set is coming out ... do they think they might help sales?

15 hours ago, Mep said:

After they kicked a bunch of people out the door I wouldn't be expecting anything new like a SW co-op LCG. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind playing one at all, just umm, yeah no. They are trimming the fat all the way down for a sell off. The sooner that happens the better.

The only thing surprising to me about the Destiny announcement is that it was made it all. I figured they just let it slow die off into the sunset without so much of an announcement but to make one just as the last set is coming out ... do they think they might help sales?

I don't get the picture that they're even too worried about Destiny sales at this point. Check out this paragraph from the announcement:

Even if you can’t join us for the Star Wars : Destiny World Championship, one final kit is coming to local retailers near you—the Echoes of Destiny kit. Launching after the World Championship, this kit supports a series of trilogy sealed tournaments, as well as a special tournament that will provide participants with one copy of every card and die from Wild Horizons , the unreleased tenth set of dice and cards for Star Wars : Destiny .

So not only did they cancel it, but it seems that they did it part-way through a development cycle with some cards already created. The axe fell real hard on this one.

Destiny's development cycle is really long, so it isn't surprising they had at least some cards done for Wild Horizons. It is odd they are bothering to do the kit, although they maybe under contract to make something and this satisfies the contract. This is what cutting the fat looks like though. Dump everything and anyone that isn't highly profitable and do it quick so it can be flipped.

I hope that one day FFG realise how good tge Decipher card game was, buy any rights to it, and relaunch it.

....oh and see the error in their ways about IA and realise its a cash cow for things like The Mandolorian.

4 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

its a cash cow for things like The Mandolorian.

Yeah, and with so many possible expansions! Mandalorian, Obi Wan, Cassian Andor, not to mention Rogue One, Endor, 4-LOM and Zuckuss, Solo, AND the Sequel Trilogy, AND Prequel Trilogy... and Clone Wars and maybe even something small from Resistance. And that's just movies and TV shows... they were just scraping the surface... alas. Really not interested in measuring terrain or whatever Legion does. Grid based is great.

Trimming the fat all the way down for a sell off because they cancelled two unsuccessful games?

Doesn't really make sense... they literally just launched another hyper successful game with Marvel Champions. Legion and X-Wing continue to carry the torch on the Star Wars side of things, with Legion nearly doubling its player base with the release of the Clone Wars factions.

I can see them not venturing into LCG territory, but a sell off is a little out there.

4 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Trimming the fat all the way down for a sell off because they cancelled two unsuccessful games?

Doesn't really make sense... they literally just launched another hyper successful game with Marvel Champions. Legion and X-Wing continue to carry the torch on the Star Wars side of things, with Legion nearly doubling its player base with the release of the Clone Wars factions.

I can see them not venturing into LCG territory, but a sell off is a little out there.

You're second paragraph was exactly Mep's point. Their discontinuing less popular games in favor of games (exactly like you examples) that are more profitable.

A friend of mine who works at an LGS sold their last copy of TI4 and it went out of print the next day (he said the price on Ebay jumped to $400 within a week of them selling it). So it sounds like that might be another cancellation to his point.

As for the sell off, it's been rumored on Reddit that all of Asmodee is up for sale. If that's true, I'd say he's exactly right. If it's not true, then at the very least their restructuring and refocusing which isn't much different.

15 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

You're second paragraph was exactly Mep's point. Their discontinuing less popular games in favor of games (exactly like you examples) that are more profitable.

A friend of mine who works at an LGS sold their last copy of TI4 and it went out of print the next day (he said the price on Ebay jumped to $400 within a week of them selling it). So it sounds like that might be another cancellation to his point.

As for the sell off, it's been rumored on Reddit that all of Asmodee is up for sale. If that's true, I'd say he's exactly right. If it's not true, then at the very least their restructuring and refocusing which isn't much different.

I would hardly call IA unsuccessful.

I would hardly call TI unsuccessful

I would hardly call BSG unsuccessful

I would hardly call the SW LCG unsuccessful

I woujd hardly call Eldritch Horror unsuccesful

I would call Discover: Lands Unknown a bit of a failure

I would call the Fallout game a bit of a failure (the expansion helped it a bit)

I would call Destiny a bit if a failure

Have you noticed that their earlier games have been big successes but later ones less so? Maybe certain designers should have been kept on.

Outer Worlds is great however - but could do with even just an extra card pack for variety.

8 minutes ago, Gallanteer said:

I would hardly call IA unsuccessful.

I would hardly call TI unsuccessful

I would hardly call BSG unsuccessful

I would hardly call the SW LCG unsuccessful

I woujd hardly call Eldritch Horror unsuccesful

I would call Discover: Lands Unknown a bit of a failure

I would call the Fallout game a bit of a failure (the expansion helped it a bit)

I would call Destiny a bit if a failure

Have you noticed that their earlier games have been big successes but later ones less so? Maybe certain designers should have been kept on.

Outer Worlds is great however - but could do with even just an extra card pack for variety.

“Unsuccessful” wasn’t a word I used. Very specifically because I agree with all of your assessments.

But X-wing and Legion can sell more units than IA with a smaller player base because everyone playing them have their own collection and potentially multiple of each unit.

Again, if they are looking to sell it would make sense to emphasize what’s most profitable.

A random thought. At the UK System Open it was announced that the management for x-wing OP (at least over here) was being given over to a new venture called something like Organised Play Events Ltd. headed up by Aec Thorne. Is there some hope for the future of IA organised play in this way, and does anyone have an avenue by which to contact this organisation? It didn't occur to me to ask while in the same place as these people :(