Simulationist Rules for Movement

By sinister6, in WFRP House Rules

I'm not using these rules because I'm happy to get away from a grid map but because some people seem to want them here's some rules for movement for use with a battlemap.

Use a grid map 1 square away is engaged, 2-5 squares is close, 6-10 is medium, 11-20 is long, 21-35 is extended.

Never run a combat beyond 35 squares.

Everything moves 5 squares for a Manoeuvre.

Moving to engage/unengage is still a Manoevure.

Do you know if anyone has made a 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars type abstract range chart for WFRP? I know this has nothing to do with simulationist rules but i didn't see any other movement rules threads in house rules. I think it would work quite well and cut back on confusion. People could still use the tokens to keep track of when they have used enough maneuvers to move from one range to the next. You don't have to change any of the abstract rules just add some visual clarification. I am excited about the idea and just wanted to know what other people think or if someone else has already tried this.

I have not. I'm unfamilar with that ruleset. I would be curious to see it.

jlok said:

Do you know if anyone has made a 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars type abstract range chart for WFRP? I know this has nothing to do with simulationist rules but i didn't see any other movement rules threads in house rules. I think it would work quite well and cut back on confusion. People could still use the tokens to keep track of when they have used enough maneuvers to move from one range to the next. You don't have to change any of the abstract rules just add some visual clarification. I am excited about the idea and just wanted to know what other people think or if someone else has already tried this.

Are you looking for something like this ?

Exactly. It needs to be modified just a little bit, but it looks incredible. I am going to get my color ink refilled just to print that out, with your permission. Thanks. Also, have you been using it in your game? Have you had any trouble with it?

I have had no problems with it. And of course you have my permission to print it :)

This range chart works as a charm. I don't understand why FFG didn't use a simple range chart like this for WFRP3 instead of tokens. Maybe they were afraid to be sued by Gregor Hutton, the creator of 3:16 :)

2nd edition AD&D Birthright had something like this range system WAY before 3:16...

Heretek said:

2nd edition AD&D Birthright had something like this range system WAY before 3:16...

yes when using the warcards and conducting army battles. In fact it's very possible the terrian cards are the perfect size for the birthright map. If I didn't love using a dry erase board I'd probably use the birthright map.

One thing we're playing with is a custom circular grid system for WFRP3.

It's plug and play with the standard manouver system for those people who can't get their heads around the manouver system.

I'll upload the PDF for you to print out (it's A2 sized atm) when we've had more chance to play with it.