New Orders - IA Skirmish Strategy Podcast

By nickv2002, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

I've just posted Episode 6 where we discuss our experience at the Northern California Regionals.

You can listen via your podcast client, from our new homepage , or via SoundCloud .

Thanks for listening!

Edited by nickv2002

Thanks Nick,I look forward to listening!

Subscribed! I'll give it a listen when I get back to work on Tuesday

Thanks for the shoutout for tabletopadmiral a few episodes ago. To answer your hope/concern, I am working on a User system. Working out the kinks/learning how to do it now. No estimate on when it will be up, but it's next on the to do list. Thanks again!

I've just posted New Orders - Episode 7 – Anchorhead Map, Points for Kills, Jabba’s Realm Command Cards

In this episode we discuss:

1. The new Anchorhead Cantina Map
  2. The new Points for Kills rules
  3. All the Command Cards from the Jabba’s Realm wave.

Please follow along in the command card discussion with visuals from Boardwars.eu : Jabba’s Realm Box , Rangers , Terro , Jabba , and Luke .

Finally, I want to link to some great Imperial Assault podcasts and interviews with the designers. In chronological order:

Feedback welcome on Twitter or here.

More to come soon & thanks for listening!

This episode is also available on SoundCloud .

Edited by nickv2002
added more links

I've just posted New Orders - Episode 8 – BoardWars Tournament

Thanks to BoardWars for hosting this Imperial Assault Vassal Tournament. This is a full tournament report with discussion and strategy for each round. You might also want to watch some of the match report videos linked below:

Feedback welcome on Twitter or here.

More to come soon & thanks for listening!

This episode is also on Soundcloud .

Edited by nickv2002

A small note: Companions cannot interact, so that's why B.Crumb or other companions can not open doors.

19 minutes ago, a1bert said:

A small note: Companions cannot interact, so that's why B.Crumb or other companions can not open doors.

Ahh yes, thanks for the reminder, that's why I don't play with Companions. They don't do much at all… good thing this wasn't actually an issue (just something we discussed as a possible use for Crumb). Thanks for listening!

Edited by nickv2002

Hey, a couple of quick bits of feedback.

Firstly, I've moved over to listening on SoundCloud- iTunes seems to have a problem with episode 7.

Secondly, I really appreciate that you both analyse where things went wrong in the matches you've lost, and pinpoint key decision points, rather than just looking at dice results.

Some really great thoughts ;)

So in the end, did you lose matches because your list was not potent enough or just because you made mistakes?

6 hours ago, Georgedpalpatine said:

Hey, a couple of quick bits of feedback.

Firstly, I've moved over to listening on SoundCloud- iTunes seems to have a problem with episode 7.

Secondly, I really appreciate that you both analyse where things went wrong in the matches you've lost, and pinpoint key decision points, rather than just looking at dice results.

Thanks for your feedback. I haven't had trouble listening to episode 7 with the iOS Podcast app or iOS Overcast app. It is a 100MB file (because of some compression issues I've corrected in episode 8) so try over a good Wifi connection perhaps? Please let me know more about what app you're using etc if you continue to have problems in episode 8.

I appreciate your comment about the analysis we do: I think not blaming random factors and taking responsibilities for your own losses is very important when trying to improve your skills. There's certainly a random component, like if your opponent just evades a lot of key attacks in a round, but most of the time you should try to identify key decisions you made that contributed to a loss (or win).

2 hours ago, Arviss said:

Some really great thoughts ;)

So in the end, did you lose matches because your list was not potent enough or just because you made mistakes?

We we had some good VASSAL practice @Arviss and you beat me easily because my list was short on figure count and lacking Devious Schemes: so that probably the bigger issue. But I think my Round 2 loss was 90% my own bad strategy. Thanks for tuning in!

Edited by nickv2002

Oh well, maybe it's just a problem for me! I tried using the iOS podcast app on both my phone and iPad, and on a variety of (very fast) connections.

Soundcloud saved the day though!

Episode 9 – Jabba’s Palace, Droid Wave, & Cards We Got Wrong

We’re back after a break, so thanks for sticking with us. This episode covers:

1. Impressions and strategy on the Jabba’s Palace map.
  2. Review of the Deployment Cards in the Droid-Themed Reinforcement Wave: including Hera, Chopper, 0-0-0, BT-1, Jawas, and IG-88’s Skirmish Upgrade.
  3. Quick review & thoughts from a recent Store Championship tournament.
  4. A discussion of some cards we got wrong from the Jabba’s Realm wave.

You can find New Orders in your favorite podcast app. More subscription info here.

Edited by nickv2002

If you downloaded Episode 9 within the first 20 or so hours after release you might have got a cropped file missing the discussion of the Jabba’s Realm map that happened between the intro and talking about Hera. The bad version of the episode is about 50 minutes while the full fixed episode is 58m11s. If you have the cropped one, please just re-download.

Sorry for the trouble/confusion & thanks!

Edited by nickv2002

Good stuff. Nice to meet you and Jennifer at Fundemonium. Congrats on the win.

Really enjoyed the episode! Just one thing I wanted to note. I think you got the rules of Jabba's Palace slightly wrong. The door is only locked to figures in interior spaces (at least, in that one mission), so figures in the rancor pit can open the door as normal.

Right?

-ryanjamal

17 hours ago, ryanjamal said:

Really enjoyed the episode! Just one thing I wanted to note. I think you got the rules of Jabba's Palace slightly wrong. The door is only locked to figures in interior spaces (at least, in that one mission), so figures in the rancor pit can open the door as normal.

Right?

-ryanjamal

Yes you're correct @ryanjamal the door is only locked to figures outside the pit in the New Ownership scenario (where you are trying to control 3 stashes). Otherwise, unlocked.

The card of rules text is unfortunately poorly worded IMO (instead of referencing the pit it says "Interior Spaces") which lead to our confusion while recording. Thanks for the clarification.

38 minutes ago, nickv2002 said:

Yes you're correct @ryanjamal the door is only locked to figures outside the pit in the New Ownership scenario (where you are trying to control 3 stashes). Otherwise, unlocked.

The card of rules text is unfortunately poorly worded IMO (instead of referencing the pit it says "Interior Spaces") which lead to our confusion while recording. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, the wording is counterintuitive, especially if you think about the actual space the map is recreating. What is more interior than the rancor pit? ?

-ryanjamal

Just now, ryanjamal said:

Yeah, the wording is counterintuitive, especially if you think about the actual space the map is recreating. What is more interior than the rancor pit? ?

-ryanjamal

Ibsh's wording is better (perhaps because it has less space constraints).

hmm... I'm not seeing this latest episode in soundcloud. Not sure what is up with that.

23 minutes ago, leacher said:

hmm... I'm not seeing this latest episode in soundcloud. Not sure what is up with that.

Thanks for the reminder @leacher . I'm phasing out support for SoundCloud since it's just more work than having one feed on my own site that I can customize & control. I've removed the Souncloud link from the first post.

The good news is that if you like to stream or download the episode from a webpage, you can still do that on our site. Here's the latest.

If you prefer to use an app on iOS or Android to listen, there are a number of dedicated podcast apps that will work well. On iOS I recommend the free Overcast , I'm not as familiar with Android but here's a recent list of recommended apps .

Thanks again for listening!

cool thanks for the update. I just listened off your website.

Thank you guys for continuing to put out great material that adds to this community!

Episode 10 – Mini Episode on the IA Skirmish Map Project & Network Neutrality

In this mini episode we discuss the Imperial Assault Skirmish Map Project and Network Neutrality .

Most importantly, if you're a fan of this podcast, or podcasts in general, please take a minute to learn about Network Neutrality and (if you live in the USA) let the FCC know it’s important to you at: BattleForTheNet.com

Thanks for listening!

Edited by nickv2002
added USA clause

Thanks Nick, I'll have a listen on my cycle home this evening, I've been really enjoying the podcast since you restarted :)

I have absolutely no idea what Network Neutrality is but I'll have a read...

Looks like I need a ZIP code to signup mate, I probably can't influence from across the pond I'm afraid. Working as a Manager for a business ISP over in the UK though, I already see this happening here

Edited by RoyalRich
Read the site