Time to bring Midnight back?

By TheHorror, in Midnight Second Edition

Warhammer fantasy and 40k are done. Maybe now is the time to bring back this unique gem of a game...

FFG should do a kickstarter for Minnight 3rd edition using 5e rules

I´d honestly love to see a whole update on all Midnight material. For regional manuals, I think both Hammer and Shadow and Fury of Shadow provided the potential development of a whole year to insert the players. That would be nice to see on the Dornish north, Sarcosan south and central Erenland. I really missed how events folded after the first century under the Shadow went on.

A lot was left to provide more details such as demons of the jungles, more on elthendar remains, infighting between legates, orcs and so on...

Now that FFG has lost some franchises as OP has stated, they may have the manpower to take advantage of the OGL, it would be nice to see what they can do with the defining traits of Midnight such as magic, paths or even prestige classes (I´m partial to pale legates).

And TBH i think that 5e is more suited for the Midnight Setting, more than 3rd Edition was

If they release it, I'll buy it... and my gaming group will, too! Midnight remains our favourite setting.

I could be wrong but I think an issue would be FFG obtaining the rights to use 5th edition for the Midnight setting.

Are there any other systems people can think of that FFG could use (either under open license or paying for the rights) that would be suitable and fun for playing Midnight games?

I don't know about other systems they could use, but our GM is attempting to convert the Midnight rules and such over to the HarnMaster system. We have been using that for a few years now, and when our current Harn campaign concludes, we will attempt to recreate what we had played back in the day with Midnight.

The setting is just so epic that if FFG doesn't return to it (and I hope they do with the loss of GW games), then we need to do so ourselves.

~ alemander

I have a feeling that FFG no longer wants to use systems developed by other companies. Does anyone think the system used in the various FFG Star Wars RPGs would fit Midnight? I have no idea, as I've never played them... might be a cost effective option, but I'm not sure if it would fit the theme?

The issue I see with moving to a ruleset of its own is the amount of changes and adaptation it will require. In the end, Midnight is clearly supported on D&D and you can see that in terms of gear, spells (even with its mechanics such as nexus, magic points and so on), alignments, levels and classes...

I also think that the archetype system from 5th can fit better the variations, prestige classes and subsystems that Midnight employs, but that´s an FFG decission in the end.

I have a feeling that FFG no longer wants to use systems developed by other companies. Does anyone think the system used in the various FFG Star Wars RPGs would fit Midnight? I have no idea, as I've never played them... might be a cost effective option, but I'm not sure if it would fit the theme?

Personally, I would love to see a new edition of Midnight with FFG rules like the Star Wars ones.

Another alternative might be to update it for Pathfinder. There wouldn't be any major changes to be made and they could focus on more descriptions. I love the setting and would like to see some of the locations more in depth.

Does anybody do a conversion for a system that is rules-lite(-ish)? I will be playing a short game, probably just one or two sessions and do not want to spend to much time on rules. For my last campaign, I used Pathfinder with a home-made conversion, but I find that D&D3+ is simply too unwieldy if played with those who do not already know the system.

Pathfinder would be an easy update. So it has my vote.

Not sure if anyone is familiar with it but possibly Godbound would be a rules lite version you could use to run in the Midnight setting. The rules are very simple but also close enough to 3.5 rules that there should be little problem in players familiar with these rules adapting them.

Although it would change the feel a little bit I am even thinking of going one step further and bringing not just the rules but the Godbound theme into Midnight. The idea would be, with the other Gods gone for so long, their powers are now flowing back into the world and being inherited by a few lucky locals. I realise a lot of people probably wouldn't like this concept as it changes the theme of hopelessness and inevitability quite a bit but for me it would be a fun spin using the setting and life would still be quite treacherous for a young Godling threatening Izrador's monopoly on power and worship.

It is time to bring back all the old settings, which is why I have started on Dragonstar. I never got into Midnight, but was impressed that it made it to a 2nd edition printing and do read a couple of books, but players never really wanted to try a new setting, but would interested if they updated to Edge or GENESYS though.
It is a great system been running since introduced a couple of years ago and have not looked back, do try 5th edition but am not fully impressed.

Loved playing in midnight but was never a fan of D&D as a rule system for it. Considering converting Midnight as a setting to Genesys.

FWIW, I think D&D 5e would work better for Midnight than 3e did. I'd take a 5e OGL version, or a Genesys version. Or both.

I think your idea would work well Arioch1973, I think Genesys might even be a better system for it than D&D.

Sounds interesting but could its use of D and D be a problem? How easily could it be reworked? Not familiar with Midnight but it sounds like it would fit a fantasy setting of Genesys. And (this could soon be my catchphrase) perhaps work well with some Terrinoth cross-pollination for creating new adventures- it feels like the same adventurers could visit both worlds quite interchangeably.

Just looked it up- more info here https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/midnight-second-edition/

and there's even a DVD/Netflix! https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/midnight-chronicles/

Edited by Martinslair
dvd / midnight

I'd love to see the setting retooled to Pathfinder 2nd Edition.

Any ruleset would do. Just give us back Midnight on the shelves !!! Please? 😊

I'm sure many of the original authors would love to come back on Eredane !!

Edited by Dain

Some enterprising individual could attempt a conversation for Genesys Foundry possibly.

I wouldn't expect anything from FFG on this.

Edge Studio will make a new edition of Midnight using D&D5. Here is the announcement in French :

Edge et le futur du JdR